SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
aadams79
aadams79 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default X2 Handlebars

Hello,
Please excuse me if my terminology is wrong when it comes to some of the parts I am describing, as this is my first attempt to work on a segway.
I am working on a friend’s X2 and somehow he pulled the handlebars out from the column. I was able to push them back in by squeezing the bottom part of what looked like spacers to that help squeeze the handle bars that keep them in the column. However, they have since came back out and now come out of the column very easily. I pulled the handle bars all the way out and noticed a long screw that goes down through the middle of the spacers. I tried to tighten up the spacers hoping that this would make it harder to pull the handle bars back out, but the screw just will not move either way.

Is there something I am missing here? What is the best way to keep the handle bars from separating from the column?

Thanks for all your help and look forward to finding an answer to this.
aadams79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

There used to be a horizontal screw that was part of the height adjustment. If the top slid out of the bottom section, that screw that goes from the back of the segway toward the front is most likely missing.

Generally speaking, it fits thru a slot in the upper lean steer frame which holds the handlebar.

If you have seen the screw, take it out, (many have washers and/or knobs on them, and then insert the upper frame into the lower frame, then re-install the screw thru the slot.

Then, if the handlebar is pulled to far up, the screw will hit the bottom of the slot, and stop it from coming too far out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadams79 View Post
Hello,
<snip> Thanks for all your help and look forward to finding an answer to this.
Do a google search for the Reference Manual. It shows how the leansteer is attached and all of its parts.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:11 AM   #4
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Here you go: Segway Manuals & Guides

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
aadams79

5 yr Member

Thanks for the replys. But now I am even more confused. I went and downloaded the referance manual and looked at the X2 and it isnt what I have... This is not a leansteer. It looks just like the one in the thread in the DIY forum.
forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=14136

It wont let me link it because I dont have enough posts Its the one with all the pictures of the handlebar wire replacement.

It says X2 on the fender that is why I am calling it an X2. I can take pictures if someone has a place to host them.

Anyway, like in the pictures, that whole top part is what is slipping out of the shaft. I can get it back in, but it just keeps coming out easily. The screw that is down the middle of the spacers is what I tried to tighten, but it doesnt move. (it might move if I really tried hard, but I didnt want to break anything) I firgured this is what I need to adjust to adjust the spacing in fittings, right?

Again thanks for the help.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Okay,

The link you gave was to the bottom of an XT handlebar, which is gen 1, not gen 2.

That is a different story. First off, my direct connection data is in my signature block, feel free to contact me with questions.

The handlebar you showed in that link is held in place by a bolt that goes down between the key port and the display. That will hold the handle bar to the top portion of the control shaft. The arrangement is not dis-similar to the wedge lock on a bicycle handlebar. Details are a bit difficult to summarize quickly, but that is okay. details are available.

This control shaft on this model has an upper and lower portion, but the upper is held in position with a twist locking collar, not like the bolt on the gen 2.

This machine is not designed to have the upper portion come out of the lower portion the way that gen 2 is designed to do.

Also, I am now not too sure if the handlebar is coming off the top of the control shaft or if the control shaft is separating at the height adjustment. Again, the two tubes have wires in them, and are not designed to have the upper portion pull out from the lower portion. If this is happening, there may be a broken part, or the upper portion may not be properly inserted in the lower portion.

Please consider that this machine (as referenced in your link) has three bits to this component. 1. Lower control shaft, 2. upper control shaft, 3 handlebar assembly.

Where is your break again?

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
aadams79

5 yr Member

KSagal,
Thanks a ton for your reply. What is happening is that it the handler bar is coming off the top of the control shaft. Not the hight adjustment. I take the handle bars off and can pull the handle bars completly out, wires and all from the entire shaft. The problem is, I cant get them to stay in there because it slips out VERY VERY easily. Is that bolt in the middle the only adjustment for that? To keep the handlebars on the control shaft?

Is there something that is recommended to use if this keeps happening to keep the handlebars in the control shaft?

Thanks again for your help! It is very appreciated.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
aadams79

5 yr Member

KSagal

Forget my previous post. I went back and read what you said at the beginning of your last post and got that problem fixed. THANK YOU!

Now one other thing... I bent a pin on the connector when you plug the handle bars back into the base...

Since you said this is a gen1 XT, whats the best place to get replacement wires?
Old 06-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
KSagal

Quote:
KSagal

Forget my previous post. I went back and read what you said at the beginning of your last post and got that problem fixed. THANK YOU!

Now one other thing... I bent a pin on the connector when you plug the handle bars back into the base...

Since you said this is a gen1 XT, whats the best place to get replacement wires?
I am afraid I no longer have a gen 1 machine, and am not current on where you might get a wire for it. Hopefully, others reading this thread may have ideas on good sources to purchase this wire from.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
KSagal

One place that I have gone is Segway of Oakland all know as Segway Junkyard and Glide 4 Less Glide4Less.

Good luck.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote