SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Michael M. Marcum
Michael M. Marcum

5 yr Member
Default Rail banking

Hello. I live in Indiana and from what I understand Segway’s use the same rules as bicycles. I have been riding on a trail near my home for over a year. Recently I was stopped by someone who was inspecting the trail and was told that Segway’s were no allowed. He said reason was that the trail was on a rail bank path and therefore state law did not matter because the trail was federal property.
I have done a lot of web searching on this and have not found any useful information. Most of what I have found pertained to people with disabilities.
I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or any information on how rail banking works.
Thanks
Mike
Michael M. Marcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. Marcum View Post
Hello. I live in Indiana and from what I understand Segway’s use the same rules as bicycles. I have been riding on a trail near my home for over a year. Recently I was stopped by someone who was inspecting the trail and was told that Segway’s were no allowed. He said reason was that the trail was on a rail bank path and therefore state law did not matter because the trail was federal property.
I have done a lot of web searching on this and have not found any useful information. Most of what I have found pertained to people with disabilities.
I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or any information on how rail banking works.
Thanks
Mike
Have you tried a large public library to help you research information on who would have jurisdiction over that type of property? The one we were in in Fort Wayne this summer was pretty impressive. I've found that research librarians in general are pretty awesome...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Unless there was a specific reason to make it so, most rail trails are not federal property or regulated by federal laws. What an odd claim for someone to make...
Old 08-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Rails to Trails

Try <railstortrails.org>

Their site has great maps and info
on who may manage your trail.

Good luck!

Last edited by dudeman1961; 08-28-2014 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Syntax error
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

"In 1983, Congress passed what is now known as the federal Rails-To-Trails law codified as 16 U.S.C. 1247(d). The federal law took the property rights of property owners throughout the United States for rail trails."

The Surface Transportation Board has the responsibility.

It could be different for any specific right-of-way, but it seems clear that the feds have at least some control over those "banked" conversions. If so, like federal parks, they can impose whatever controls they wish.

Three minutes in Google, tops.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

It's a moot issue -- the federal government doesn't police rail trails, the local police department does. And they aren't going to enforce a federal law that I don't even think exists (no Segways on rail trails).
Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
And they aren't going to enforce a federal law that I don't even think exists (no Segways on rail trails).
Isn't that where we are with the national parks? The Feds have not passed any legislation so the interpretation is that if there is no law they must be banned. Crazy, but consistent.
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
Michael M. Marcum
Michael M. Marcum

5 yr Member

Hello again, thanks for the replies. The man that spoke to me said something along the lines of, you have been seen on the trail and we have talked about it in our meetings. I mentioned that it was my understanding that Segway’s were treated like bicycles in Indiana. He said that it was a rail bank trail, which is privately owned and under Federal law and that state law did not apply. I said I would look it up and he said I could look it up if I wanted but he knew what he was talking about.
During the searching I have done I found that the trail was primarily built with state funds and is tax exempt.

Again, thanks for the information.

A link about the state money.

http://indianaeconomicdigest.com/mai...836&TM=4367.72
Michael M. Marcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Do you have a contact for the man? Should ask for the reference to the law he is referring to. Would be good for all of us to know.
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #10
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile Tril on 'railstotrails'

http://www.traillink.com/trail/nickel-plate-trail.aspx

The link to the official trail website lists the officers and looks really informative.
posted 'Trail Rule':
"• No motorized vehicles. The trail is intended for pedestrian and bicycle traffic only."

from 2005, about Indiana: http://forums.segwaychat.org/archive...p/t-10836.html
electric personal assistive mobility devices and 'electric bikes' are covered.

Otherr, sevond party analysis (see flowchart @ bottom of page):
http://www.americantrails.org/resour...icy-OPDMD.html

Last edited by dudeman1961; 08-30-2014 at 12:34 AM..
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote