SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
pieter
pieter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default i2 charging problem, weird

Hi Guys,

I have here a i2 (2009) that has developed a weird problem. It was working fine yesterday but when it got back from the tour and i plugged it in to charge the led's went red. I reseated the chargingcable and still red. I tried to turn it on and it gave me the E02F error meaning a problem with the front battery.

I replaced the front battery and the machine powered up normally. I put it on the charge once again and now the led's start off being green but then they start to blink simultaneously (not the normal blinking when tricklecharging) and first the rear led goes red and seconds after that the front goes red. This all happens within about 10 seconds.

I have the feeling the charger might be killing the battery? Is something like that even possible?

I have a offboard charger as well and the battery that i replaced is giving an immediate red light on the charger.

Anyone encountered such a problem before?

The weather when gliding was dry and a nice temperature so that shouldn't be an issue.
pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

There are numerous possibilities but two stick out to me.

1. The battery has a BMS and we have had many cases where the BMS faulted and is locked up. It can be reset but must either be done by Segway or by a company like ours.

2. The CSB could be showing you it's charging when it isn't. We have had a few customers share that experience with us.

You can check voltage on the battery itself with a multimeter and then place it on the Segway and charge for 10-15 minutes. Remove the battery and check voltage again. If it has not inceased you will know there is something other than batteries causing the problems.

Of course do this test with known good batteries that still run the machine as your red light battery will not be a good test subject. Hope this helps!
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:51 AM   #3
pieter

5 yr Member

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your reply. I have had the unit of the charger this weekend just in case and when i went to plug it in this morning it gave a rear red led. When i powered it on it gave a E027 error meaning the rear battery was having a problem.

When i removed the rear battery i noticed something. When i peak into the battery through the little slit in the side next to the connector i see something that looks like a red LED light and it seems to be glowing. Both batteries that came from this machine and now have errors have this. Is there even a LED in the batteries itself?

I'm afraid to switch batteries again on this machine in case this is a battery eating segway ;-)

Anything you can think of to point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated!
Regards,

Pieter
Old 08-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Ed65
Ed65 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hoi Pieter,

if the Segway is a 2009, why not take it to the dealer?

Ed
Ed65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
pieter

5 yr Member

Hi Ed,

It is from may 2009.....
Old 12-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
PBST
PBST is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hello,

I was just reeading the forums and saw your post about the charging problem. It sounds like I have the same problem. Everything was fine one day then plugged it in the charge after a tour and the lights were blinking very strange (fast greens with reds in between, etc.) I suspect an internal charger problem. Did you ever figure out what the problem was and how to fixs it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn
Palm Beach Segway Tours
PBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Did anyone ever respond to you as to the error code E02F? I gust got E02F and no one on the forum complete the thread.
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Rusty Butrusty
Rusty Butrusty is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Ever once in a while 'Beets' ('11 X2) will be charged up normally w/two green flashing LED's, then suddenly, with no reason, just the rear LED will begin flashing red.

I just pull the plug, wait about 10 seconds and re-plug him. That seems to cure it.

He's still in my garage and it's been getting down to 20*F here in Danksville as winter approaches.

Ima moving him indoors as soon as my son is available for helping me lift him.
Rusty Butrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Butrusty View Post
Ever once in a while 'Beets' ('11 X2) will be charged up normally w/two green flashing LED's, then suddenly, with no reason, just the rear LED will begin flashing red.

I just pull the plug, wait about 10 seconds and re-plug him. That seems to cure it.

He's still in my garage and it's been getting down to 20*F here in Danksville as winter approaches.

Ima moving him indoors as soon as my son is available for helping me lift him.
I believe there were a series or two or more of batteries, that once fully charged would display a red LED instead of one of the patterns of green blinking lights. It had something to do with the over voltage setting being a tad too low, and therefore initiating a red LED instead of one of the balancing and trickle charging modes. I do not believe this effects the charger in the segway, so the end result is moot. If your battery is one of these, as your post seems to indicate, then your actions are exactly right, and there is no problem, nothing to fix, and no loss of performance likely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #10
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The fault on My I2 was in the front battery. Fault code E02F.
The seg would not power up. Tried starting it while charging an then unplugging after alarm. The seg still had an E02F fault. Rotated batteries front to back now the fault code is on the rear battery. Fault code E027
sill will not power up. Remove the faulty battery and took it to the seg dealer.

The dealer put the battery on an off seg charging unit the battery showed it was fully charged 77v but the fault would not clear.

Do I change out both batteries. This battery set is approximately 2 years old and well cared for. This fault is a case of premature death. I went on a 20 mile round trip a week before and still had two bars showing.

Ps I use my seg as a mobility device reliability is paramount.

In the words of a poet "what's a poor boy to do?"
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote