SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

My immediate thoughts were not China = bad, but rather, China = difficult.

For a product like this, trust is key, and trust requires history, and to get history, requires some trust, or some other measures.

Like getting influential people to evaluate them and report. Or a large enough price difference to get people to assume the risk and try them.

Or getting a network of dealers to stand behind the product.

None of these things are easy things.

I would certainly welcome a competitor, and I certainly believe that Chinese manufacturers have the capability to do a good job.

At the same time, there have been some prominent examples in the news of Chinese manufacturers taking huge shortcuts, for example, with melamine in pet food. Combine these with the inherent difficulties that US companies face in getting quality products from China (distance and communications breakdowns, really, the stuff you should expect when offshoring production), and I think some caution on the part of buyers is natural.

So I'm a bit skeptical -- but if you are determined to try, well, the best of luck.

To start, I would suggest addressing the concerns head-on, with clear marketing communications, describing the product, the advantages (e.g. longer range), testing, warranty, manufacturing process and controls (that is, build confidence that this really is a quality product, with real manufacturing expertise behind it).

Remember, too, that there's a long road, paved with testing and test failures, between having a prototype that works, and having a production-ready product.

I would especially make sure that your marketing materials are created with the help of a native speaker of English. This is no reflection on your ability to communicate, but rather, it's something that potential buyers will interpret as a sign of being a serious, competent company. They will put more weight on it than they logically should -- except that a serious, competent company will recognize that fact, and hire a native speaker...

After World War II, Japan got its start exporting toys made from scrap sheet metal, in part recycled from former military uses, and initially had a reputation for cheap, unreliable products. But Japan focused on quality and with products like transistor radios, portable tape players, Honda Civic cars, the Sony Walkman, turned the popular impression around.

China is far down that road already -- much further than people's perceptions. Build a quality product, and give people reason to believe in the quality, and you can overcome and change those perceptions.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #12
iWaybattery
iWaybattery is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi, Everyone,

Thank you for the warm welcome, .

Just want to remind all, the original Segway battery is also made in China.

More information about our battery will be upload soon. We did buy one X2 in house for testing and outgoing checking.

Iwaybattery
iWaybattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #13
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWaybattery View Post
Hi, Everyone,

Thank you for the warm welcome, .

Just want to remind all, the original Segway battery is also made in China.

More information about our battery will be upload soon. We did buy one X2 in house for testing and outgoing checking.

Iwaybattery
Yes but by a known and trusted company with many years of research and many safety functions built in to prevent anything from going wrong.
I'm assuming you're not Duracell?

Hope to hear more from you, cheers!
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #14
iWaybattery

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
Yes but by a known and trusted company with many years of research and many safety functions built in to prevent anything from going wrong.
I'm assuming you're not Duracell?

Hope to hear more from you, cheers!
Thank you Tritium!

No, we are not Duracell. We wish we could be part of Duracell, .

According to our information, the battery for second Generation Segway is not very stable as the first generation. The original pack will have higher selfdischarge due to the design and the balancing Mosfet always broken. We also start with repairing original battery, we always replace Mosfet. Do you have experience with the new battery dead without any useage?

We are here not for competing with anyone, we would like to cooperate with local partner. And these will pass the benefit to the end User.

By the way, we are thinking about the free trial usage by the member here.

iWaybattery
Old 01-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWaybattery View Post
Thank you Tritium!

No, we are not Duracell. We wish we could be part of Duracell, .

According to our information, the battery for second Generation Segway is not very stable as the first generation. The original pack will have higher selfdischarge due to the design and the balancing Mosfet always broken. We also start with repairing original battery, we always replace Mosfet. Do you have experience with the new battery dead without any useage?

We are here not for competing with anyone, we would like to cooperate with local partner. And these will pass the benefit to the end User.

By the way, we are thinking about the free trial usage by the member here.

iWaybattery
I must say, you are doing a reasonable presentation so far. You have been positive and responsive, even though some like myself were less than entirely supportive.

I appreciate your efforts at answering the technical reasons you chose to address in your battery.

This is a pretty technical group. We like to hear the details of the hardware we use.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #16
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I currently have two dead lithium battery packs. I'd be more than willing to try some aftermarket batteries.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #17
iWaybattery

5 yr Member
Default midnight hi from China

First thank you all for your concerns and feedbacks, especially thanks to Tritium and eJM for your good suggestions and qustions.

We are a lifepo4 battery manufacturer and the replacement battery for segway we supply is 73.6V6.6Ah. Tests were done on i2 and x2 when we were doing the development of the battery. After three revises and improvements we get a relatively stable product for customer trial. Then we bought an x2 and until now we have been testing the battery on x2 for about 3 months and there are European and Chinese customers who have been testing the battery for about 2 months. The customers used "very good" and even "perfect" to describe their test results. Only that there seems a little problem when it's on i180. Since we haven't found an i180 or i170 for test in mainland China the problem is still unkown. Now we are trying to get an i180 from HongKong.

Tests are mainly done in lad with computor for monitor and then mostly on X2. Safety seems not a problem at all. At least until now no break or damage has happend to any seg or people.

We would be more than willing to cooperate with MTO or any other professional segway battery dealers as so the customers can get direct service conveniently.

Finally I'd like to share some pictures and videos so that you can get vivid knowledge of the battery. But may I ask can I post the pic and videos here? I really don't want to violate anyone or any written or unwritten rules here.

Many thanks again.
Bella
Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #18
iWaybattery

5 yr Member

And especailly thanks to Bob.Kerns too
Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #19
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Other than Segway, Inc., the ONLY testimonial that I would trust is Jason at MTO Battery. I hope that you'll send him a set for evaluation. If you convince him, you'll find a lot of business here. If they are considerably cheaper than Inc's, I'd buy a dozen pairs myself.

bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #20
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hello iWayBattery, there may be a post limit to be able to post images but give it a shot, there are no rules saying you cannot post photos , but if this turns into a sale thread instead, then some people may not be too happy.

I'm quite interested to know the problems with i180, is it power draw difference or are there intelligent problems?

Cheers!
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote