SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
injured in LA
injured in LA is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Test driving Segway w/ seat modification

Hi,
I injured both my knees (bone contusions, IT band tears) in an accident and am unable to walk. I estimate that it will take another 6 months or so before I'll be able to walk properly, while I undergo physical therapy. My line of work, however, requires a high level of mobility (eg, walking around the hospital from floor to floor & room to room everyday for 12 hours at a time, ~ 3 miles a day, repeatedly standing up/sitting down, grabbing charts). I tried using a wheelchair, which was difficult for me due to relatively weak upper body strength, difficulty maneuering, & slowness getting around). I have unfortunately discovered that this world is not at all friendly toward even the temporarily partially disabled. Which needs to be fixed.

I think a segway w/ a segsaddle or segseat would be a much better device to allow me to get around, restart work, & allow me knees to recover over the next 6 months.

None of the segway dealers in my area (southern California) have segways w/ seat modifications available to test drive. I currently cannot stand for longer than a few minutes at a time, nor can I apply too much pressure through my knees. I therefore cannot test drive a regular segway. I came onto this forum to ask if anyone around the southern California area (I live in Los Angeles) has a segway w/ seat modification (not a wheelchair segway, but one of those seats that sit a little higher) they would allow me to test drive?? I don't want to spend $8-9000 on a device I haven't tried out & am not sure if it work form me. I can't walk, let alone run away, so you wouldn't have to worry about me going anywhere w/ it. I could get to where you are or meet you in a public space. I'd also be willing to give you a little money to test drive it for 30 min or however long it would take (& you're comfortable w/). Thank you.
injured in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #2
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by injured in LA View Post
Hi,
I injured both my knees (bone contusions, IT band tears) in an accident and am unable to walk. I estimate that it will take another 6 months or so before I'll be able to walk properly, while I undergo physical therapy. My line of work, however, requires a high level of mobility (eg, walking around the hospital from floor to floor & room to room everyday for 12 hours at a time, ~ 3 miles a day, repeatedly standing up/sitting down, grabbing charts). I tried using a wheelchair, which was difficult for me due to relatively weak upper body strength, difficulty maneuering, & slowness getting around). I have unfortunately discovered that this world is not at all friendly toward even the temporarily partially disabled. Which needs to be fixed.

I think a segway w/ a segsaddle or segseat would be a much better device to allow me to get around, restart work, & allow me knees to recover over the next 6 months.

None of the segway dealers in my area (southern California) have segways w/ seat modifications available to test drive. I currently cannot stand for longer than a few minutes at a time, nor can I apply too much pressure through my knees. I therefore cannot test drive a regular segway. I came onto this forum to ask if anyone around the southern California area (I live in Los Angeles) has a segway w/ seat modification (not a wheelchair segway, but one of those seats that sit a little higher) they would allow me to test drive?? I don't want to spend $8-9000 on a device I haven't tried out & am not sure if it work form me. I can't walk, let alone run away, so you wouldn't have to worry about me going anywhere w/ it. I could get to where you are or meet you in a public space. I'd also be willing to give you a little money to test drive it for 30 min or however long it would take (& you're comfortable w/). Thank you.
Just to let you know, the SegSaddle is no longer available. I have 2 of them and my condition sounds exactly like yours and they work great for it. Hopefully the SegSeat or another option will fill your needs. Let me know how you make out as I will eventually need to find a replacement for the SegSaddles as they wear out.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Check out the functional Freedom GlidR Seat at www.seg-solutions.com
They have offered in the past to send a unit to my Segway Dealer for a test ride.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #4
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Wink

the dealer in jacksonville oregon has a seat i would recommend getting a seg with the big fatty tires to lessen the strain of bumps like an x2 model.low pressure tires are a dreamride.

Last edited by rotorblades; 09-09-2014 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: sticking keys
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:43 AM   #5
injured in LA
injured in LA is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Thanks for the advice

Just wanted to say thanks for replying to my thread! I was in touch with Mario from Segseat - he offered to build me a sample seat to use for test driving a regular Segway. After doing more research into other mobility devices though, I think I will go with a different personal mobility device, seeing as Segways cost so much money. Just wanted to give you all an update. Thanks so much.
injured in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
DigitalDave
Account Suspended
DigitalDave is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have just purchased a new-to-me Gen 1 i67 Segway with NiMH batteries here in Portland, Oregon.

My mobility situation sounds similar to yours, although mine is NOT going to improve. Difficulty walking even a block at this point and unable to stand unaided to more than a minute or two. Result of spinal cord injury in 1969 and effects of aging (70 yrs old)

I found a vendor/fabricator for SegSeat at
[forum won't allow link posting by new member - google segseat]
and have ordered one which he happened to have on-hand. He has to make the Gen1 SegSeats custom, but apparently has Gen2 seats in stock. His name is Mario, based in LA area. Give him a call. He's accommodating.
DigitalDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Just to let you know, the SegSaddle is no longer available. I have 2 of them and my condition sounds exactly like yours and they work great for it. Hopefully the SegSeat or another option will fill your needs. Let me know how you make out as I will eventually need to find a replacement for the SegSaddles as they wear out.
i left my segsaddle new in box with oregon jacksonville segway for them to sell on commision. no tax up there either nicely madeseat.it goes up easily and slides back and forth if you need to change position.good luck finding what you need.
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote