SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Talking im on a princess cruise ship with my segx2with the fatty tires the crown princessout

give it a try they love me cruising around.i go all over the ship. im pretty laid up -stroke. and i don't see very well. the porter helps get my seg inside my room with a twenty dollar tip. the ship doesnt like it left in the halways of course but ive brought two. the stateroom doors are too narrow for my fatty tires. but there is room for two side by side in the closet area. the only way to get mine into the room is sideways. i think that one of those rollers that you use under a big plantpot rollerplaced under one wheel= with the three castor wheels might help with pulling it sidewards, the cargo carrier handles really help too that come on an x2 as an option i think.use a surge protector and bring long charge cords.
the other passengers really are jealous.
only downside is that sometimes food or cleaning carts plug the hallways sometimes
they are very willing to clear your way. i have kept my speed down to a crawl. and am as polite as possibleto let others go first.i tried to get permission to get it on an airline but wasnotsucessful.so mexican rivierra i went.the shore excursions may be a problem if they use a tender boat to transfer to shore. this ship ancored in cabo and sent us in small boats= tenders"to shore.please be extra polite and careful too.its weird riding on a rolling ship but it is do-able folks, just dont ruin it for others.
security in la made me wait for a very long time to board. written permission in advancewould have smoothed that trouble
i find that my bike bell helps warn others that i am close.just so people dont turn and walk into you.a walking person can help smooth your journey.
try it you will be surprised at how nice it is.i get lost even the elevators are doable. i have to get off quit often an let the pain go away.gees if airlines dont want us lets all go by ship..
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Sven
Sven is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

A couple of questions. You were cruising aboard a Princess ship, right? Did you just show up to board with your Segway or did you clear it in advance? I am a platinum member on Princess and would like to use my Segway as a EPAMD on the ship and for shore excursions when possible. Your use of a Segway would seem to indicate Princess has an accommodating policy.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
rotorblades

Exclamation

it would be best if you had something in writing. i tried to get clearance first. because i was having trouble getting it on a small local airline.
i blazed a smooth trail for you. the stateroom doorways are very narrow so my fatty tires wouldn't fit in.mine is my electric mobility device.i pulled mine in sideways
a soft handlebar bumper like pipe insulation will help when you have to lean it by itself. i had to turn mine off once and lay it downin bigger wavesto sit and eat
get a plant pot caster wheels so you can pull yours sidewaysi nto the rooms. mine was an outside balcony room some double doors needed to be unclipped to open the second door. but mine is extra wide.
be careful and let us know what you learn please
my cruise was to mexico on the crown princess.

all in all the whole crew and other passengers were very accommodating. the hallways were small and blocked by cleaning carts or dishes sometimes
a lot of doors open doubleautomaticallyonly problem in boarding is i think some people that said yes didnt tell others-like security held me up for a long timethey wanted to see something in writing. they wanted me or someone to walk it on some of the short gangplanks. but when they let me i was able to ride on and off easily. this was from los angeles.most people were jealous even the crew
they are handy getting to the parking lot.the only problems i had was because the security hold up was painful. there was not many places to sitwhile in line. oh give it a try but please dont ruin it for others that follow.
i found that turning sideways and doing a quick lean against a wall made other walkers more at ease. im an old guy i think some might have feared i would fall over on them so i went dead slow and turned sideways.a lot.it seemed to really helpi had to wait until the local police showed up with their search dog. that wasnt too bad. only painful for me to stand so long.

Last edited by rotorblades; 12-30-2014 at 06:40 AM..
Old 12-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Sven
Sven is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks for the information. I plan to contact Princess to get authorization to bring my Segway aboard to use on my next cruise.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
rotorblades

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Thanks for the information. I plan to contact Princess to get authorization to bring my Segway aboard to use on my next cruise.
carol at dalianas travel in eureka California is real good at talking with princess.