SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Related Sites and Resources

Notices

Related Sites and Resources For fan created site announcements, questions, advice, promotions, contests, resources on the web, help building your site or blog, etc.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #11
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
To create an iOS app, I believe you have to buy a dev license with Apple (minimum $99)
Partly true but not exactly; you can get the tools to develop the app for free, but distributing the app does require the license.

Quote:
and an Apple PC with a very recent OS (Mac Mini was ~$500 last I checked).
Yes, you need a computer to write mobile apps. This is true of all current mobile OSes.

Quote:
The tools are "free" to everyone with an OSX license (not free).
OS X is free.

Quote:
No single Android handset receives the fanfare of Apple's latest glass slab, but Android handsets represent over 80% of the market.
Maybe so, but the vast majority of them are underpowered and running ancient versions of Android, making development much more difficult.

Anyway, your post was off-topic. This was not a "bash Apple" thread and there was no reason to bring that up. Do I interrupt every thread about Windows to tell people I love my Mac? No. Do bicyclists interrupt every thread here to say they hate Segways? Well maybe some of them, but they are trolls if they do. Florin was simply sharing a great app he created and we were thanking him for it.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #12
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

You seem a little angry and got a few facts wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
Partly true but not exactly; you can get the tools to develop the app for free, but distributing the app does require the license.
Distributing the app requires a file server, nothing more. I can email you an Android app if you'd an example. This is called "side-loading" and completely bypasses the app store.

Quote:
Yes, you need a computer to write mobile apps. This is true of all current mobile OSes.
I said you need an Apple PC, not a computer. All Apples are computers, but not all computers are Apples. The fact remains that you need an Apple product to make software for other Apple products. The same is not true for any other "mobile OSes."

Quote:
OS X is free.
When I wrote the post you are quoting, OS X upgrades were not free. OS X is free now, if you own an Apple computer. I tried to find a download link in order to contradict my claim, and could find none. If anyone can find a link that lets me download a legitimate copy of OS X, I'll happy withdraw my claim that OS X is not free. UPGRADES, seem to be free, assuming you already have the OS that came with your Apple PC-- ie, the OS you paid for.

Quote:
Maybe so, but the vast majority of them are underpowered and running ancient versions of Android, making development much more difficult.
I'm sure Florin's app would run well on a potato, let alone a 4 year old Android handset.

Quote:
Anyway, your post was off-topic. This was not a "bash Apple" thread and there was no reason to bring that up. Do I interrupt every thread about Windows to tell people I love my Mac? No. Do bicyclists interrupt every thread here to say they hate Segways? Well maybe some of them, but they are trolls if they do. Florin was simply sharing a great app he created and we were thanking him for it.
Well, you did make a post to an old thread, specifically quoting something I wrote over 5 months ago. So I'm curious what you think your post adds to the conversation. My post was in response to Bob, in order to clear up FACTS. I am not pushing any kind of anti-Apple agenda. I'm actually a huge fan of their software, which is why I bothered to educate myself on their offerings. I have four iPhones sitting on my desk, representing my 6 years of using iPhones (and about $2400 investment.) I also have two iPads that see daily use. Of course, there is a reason the phones are sitting on my desk instead of in my pocket I also have a lapsed Apple developer account. You don't want to hear about my vintage Apple Computer collection.

I'm curious, are any of your software projects available online?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 09-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
Videoguy
Videoguy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by florin View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have made a iPhone app for the Segway community, it's for free, so please give it a try: https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/pt-i...711455238?mt=8

FAQ:
-----

Q: Are their plans for an Android/Windows/BlackBerry version
A: Nope, this app was developed to learn new iOS development skills and for fun

Q: Can you make it in the language [your-prefered-language]?
A: If you provide the translations, I'm more than willing to do so

Q: It only works on iOS 7, my device or myself don't like iOS 7, help!
A: Sorry, I only have limited test devices and time, so no support for anything older than iOS 7

Q: I have a great idea for a new feature, how can I share this with you?
A: email it to me: florin()vanslingerland...eu (replace () with @ and ... with .)
Thanks for the app. Would it be possible for the app to retain the serial numbers, once entered? That way, they would be handy during a conversation with a dealer, Segway or police.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #14
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoguy View Post
Thanks for the app. Would it be possible for the app to retain the serial numbers, once entered? That way, they would be handy during a conversation with a dealer, Segway or police.
Good idea, I will keep it in mind for the next update

Florin
Old 09-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #15
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by florin View Post
Good idea, I will keep it in mind for the next update
And don't forget to add a place for description as well.

Serial No Description
12345 Jeff's i2
43212 Ginnie's x2

Thanks for a fun piece of software

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
florin
The Gliding Dutchman
florin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to allflorin is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
And don't forget to add a place for description as well.

Serial No Description
12345 Jeff's i2
43212 Ginnie's x2

Thanks for a fun piece of software

jeff
Ofcourse :-)

Florin