SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
gracefuli
gracefuli is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default and yet another battery ? Or is it?

I have an i167 with the original NIMH batteries. In January it was moved by "professional" movers to a new location and left unplugged in a cold NJ garage for about 2 weeks. (my bad)

Once moved indoors and plugged in it had 2 red lights and it would not start. In May, I took it to a dealer who said it worked with new lith batteries. He was also able to use an off board charger and after about 8 hours the old NIMH batteries came back to life. He watched it a few days and rode it with no loss of power. All good news.

I took it home and plugged it in... 2 weeks later I got red lights, but it started. Dial showed only 4-5 bars along the bottom of the circle, so stayed red, sad face powered off. Book said "not enough charge". I left it unplugged, thinking the old batteries just won't hold the charge.

Today, about 2 weeks later, I decided to try it. I expected the batteries to be totally dead again - That they just kept depleting the charge. To my surprise they were exactly the way I left them. 4-5 bars!

So now I'm wondering: is it really the batteries? Or is it the charger? Is it an expensive fix? Can I do it myself? Should I be repairing it in light of the ninebot buyout? I really was hoping to use it for mobility this summer...

Any and all thoughts are welcome... Please!
gracefuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Well, you could try "reconditioning and resetting". But Caution: This could make the situation worse - or it could make it better.

Leave the machine running, propped against a wall, until it automatically shuts down (this should automatically be before the batteries are completely discharged - just down to a "safe" level of charge)

Now let it cool off for an hour or two, and then plug in the power. Wait for it to fully charge, start it up, and see if you have more bars.

If those results are encouraging, then repeat the above cycle a few more times - maybe 2 or 3 - until you don't see any improvement.

Please note that this could make things worse - but you don't have much to lose by trying it.

And please let us know how it goes.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:43 PM   #3
gracefuli

5 yr Member

Unfortunately this is not an option. Unit blinks and beeps about 20x then shuts down. Red lights on charger when I plug it in.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Oh. Well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefuli View Post
....In May, I took it to a dealer who said it worked with new lith batteries. He was also able to use an off board charger and after about 8 hours the old NIMH batteries came back to life. He watched it a few days and rode it with no loss of power. ...
And then try what I suggested?

Or, how close are you to York, PA (MTOBattery)?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

We can definitely help you with rebuilding the NiMH batteries. We have a NiMH sale which will give you 10% off. Enter coupon code NIMH. Offer ends 6/30/15.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Have you considered the the problem may be the charger in your 167 and not the batteries? these are not the best part of the 167 design and do fail. Do you have access to another seg to try charging you batteries or an external charger?
Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
gracefuli

5 yr Member

That's exactly what I am thinking! The fact that the batteries were still at the same level of charge 2 weeks after being unplugged... Don't have another Seg to try it on.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #8
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Valid point. If I read your post right I gathered you are in NJ. If that is the case Segway of Annapolis is likely the closest service center to you. They normally have CSB units in stock. That is a part you can service yourself if you have about 15-20 minutes and a little bit of mechanical ability. Their number is 410-267-8607.

Another thing you might try is removing the handlebars and unplugging the wiring harnesses in there and then plug them back together. This can sometimes reset issues and is at least worth a try.

Good luck! Let me know if we can help you out with batteries.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #9
gracefuli

5 yr Member

Will try this weekend - but may still call you Monday! Thanks
Old 06-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #10
gracefuli

5 yr Member

Just for a follow up: this weekend I did work on the Seg. Disconnected wires, took batteries off and switched locations before reseating them. Then plugged it in.... No good! Thanks for all the tips.