SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Interesting bike lock

Since the Segway cable lock is no longer available, and since there's no more stud on the new machines for it to clip over, anyway, I was thinking about what alternatives I'd have when we get our new machines.

I found this snazzy (and rather expensive) lock:

https://www.skylock.cc/?utm_source=F...utm_medium=CPC

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Bluetooth communications has a range of about 10 meters, so as long as you're within that range, you might get notification of a theft attempt. I don't know how "crash alert" might function, as it says it sends an alert to your phone...but only by Bluetooth, so I guess if someone crashes your bike within 10 meters of your phone, you'll be alerted. Also, "pre-order" means it doesn't exist yet.

Kryptonite (and others, I am sure) makes a whole range of locks with a similar shape, albeit needing a key and without the electronics.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
Bluetooth communications has a range of about 10 meters, so as long as you're within that range, you might get notification of a theft attempt. I don't know how "crash alert" might function, as it says it sends an alert to your phone...but only by Bluetooth, so I guess if someone crashes your bike within 10 meters of your phone, you'll be alerted. Also, "pre-order" means it doesn't exist yet.

Kryptonite (and others, I am sure) makes a whole range of locks with a similar shape, albeit needing a key and without the electronics.
In over ten years I haven't had a problem with theft, so it's a non-issue with me.

I like the keyless, combination-less aspect of this product. And it'll unlock automatically when I get close, like my future Tesla car. Plus, it might be fun to use.

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Every good bluetooth device has a way to reset and re-pair. I wonder how they handle it here.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Watching the video at Dan's link answered many questions posed so far, but there are also some statements that do not seem to mix, for me.

It will unlock with a tap of a button on a phone, or by sensing the proximity of the linked phone, but also has a potential to unlock with an on board keypad of sorts.

Also, it mentions a wifi connection, but is not specific if this is by the phone or the lock.

For me, this may be a cute product, but I wonder if it an application of technology for the sake of using that technology, as opposed to filling a particular need.

There is a lot of electronic technology involved here. My segway has a remote feature that alerts me of someone tampering with it, from about the same distance. I find that I rarely can use that feature, as it is too short a distance to be of much value.

I do like some of the ideas with this lock, but fear it will not likely make it to my tool box, mostly for cost, but also because most technology fails at some point, and that is why we love the segway so much. It has a redundant everything.

For me, that means a key hole in lock. I like the electronics, and do like the ability to unlock with a built in keypad in the case of phone problems, but in the event of lock programming errors, I still want that key as a back up...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Bluetooth is not secure. It would not be difficult to "hack" an application that would unlock and/or disable this device, and/or cause it to send false reports.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

It seems that you need the app on your phone as well as an internet connection. It says that if your phone is dead you can use a friend's, so long as he/she has downloaded the app and you can log into it.

Dale is right, however. Mobile apps are usually very easy to decompile and refactor.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
... Mobile apps are usually very easy to decompile and refactor.
And once you do that, you have control of all similar locks.

Physical keys are (1) much harder to hack, and (2) once hacked, you have access to one lock.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Never worked out how to use a u lock on a segway, is there something different about the new ones, like a hole through the platform? This lock, while a nice piece of design, also looks like a solution looking for a problem. My Abus cycle lock is easily stronger than anything I might lock my bike to and I am nervous of electronic locks seeing that so many keyless entry Rang Rovers are being stolen around here with a software hack that the police routinely stop any Range Rover being driven late at night to check if it's the owner behind the wheel.