SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I Tried A Ninebot!

I called Ninebot to ask if they had a local rep in NYC. To my total surprise, they did!

Like I said in other threads, I love my Segway and will keep it. But my lifestyle has changed since buying it. My new job doesn't allow it into the bike room. That plus a dead battery -- I haven't used it in about 2 years.

At first I thought of this
http://ecorecoscooter.com/product/m5-e-scooter/

But that's very heavy and looks like an electric scooter. It has to pass the bike room test and be able to get in where the Segway can't.

Then I saw a guy gliding down the street on this (or the SoloWheel, etc.):
http://www.ninebot.com/ninebot/NinebotOne/index.html

I've heard of this before, but to see it used with such ease made me curious.

Since Ninebot bought Segway, I thought I'd try it. The rep suggested against the Nibeot One because of difficulty of use and danger. He suggested the Ninebot C.

So I tried the Ninebot E at first
http://www.ninebot.com/ninebot/Ninebot/index.html

Pros:
No learning curve for Segway owners
Smartphone app and lights

Cons:
Feels like a toy. Like the Razor scooter vs. the Xootr.

Next, I tried the Ninebot C
http://www.ninebot.com/ninebot/nienbot-c/index.html

It's the E with a small leg controller.

Being used to the Segway's steer stick, it was awkward to glide without thinking of using my hands, but instead, my legs.

Pros:
Smaller footprint than the Segway.

Smartphone app and lights.

Can drag it along like luggage (kind of) by the handle. It's self-propelled like the Segway.

Self-balances well. You can just stand on it, idle. It stands still better than the Segway.

Height wasn't an issue. I'm short. Most things are demonstrated or made for normal height people like the Yike Bike. I'm too short for that. For this, you only need legs that you can use to lean into the handle -- easy.

I could get used to it with further practice.

Cons:
Again, it feels a bit cheap like a toy.

It still looks like a Segway, so I don't think Security would let me bring it in, much less up the elevator or escalator to my office.

I usually do not complain about prices, but this really feels like a $1K max gadget that would be sold in The Sharper Image years ago. Yet it's $2,300. With the handle that's $3K. I could replace both of my Segway batteries for that price or just sell it, and buy the new one.

Ninebot's return policy is that it can't be opened or used. They instead will meet with potential buyers and provide lessons. That's greatly appreciated, but I can't know that it'll work for me in that short amount of time. I'd need to be able to rent one for a day or two, and I can do that with scooters at other places locally.

Conclusion:

The Segway can't be easily folded and stored. It's big and scares some pedestrians. But it feels well-made and so far nothing compares that I have tried.

I would rather walk and take public transportation until I can buy the latest Segway than buy a sub-par alternative.
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks a bundle for your feedback on your experience ! Do you think it would work out if you just basically used it to go from your car right to your office at work, and made an occasional glide to the restroom or another office/meeting room, say 8 or 10 of those short duration glides during the day ? I completely understand about not gliding regularly on it as it feels much less "substantial" then our segs, but how about for just a quick occassional minute or 2 glide ? Or is it really "lightweight" and you don't even feel comfortable using it basically at all ?
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Hi, rwoynaro.

The rep uses it as transportation. I think that it could be used for far greater distances than short ones although gliding into a meeting sounds fun.

It's difficult to judge these things because you can't buy an expensive mode of transportation, scuff it up and return it. But that's the only TRUE way to know whether it's going to work for you or not. Or at least for me.

My discomfort doesn't fully come from its feeling less substantial (I do think that it could be improved). But it comes from leaning forward as if to face plant...without a lean steer...but feeling confident that you won't fall completely forward.

I also want to use it on the sidewalk, in 5pm pedestrian sidewalk traffic, in blocked crosswalks, when a smartphone zombie isn't watching where they're going, when I get bumped by someone, on that downhill/uphill slope, when I am at a store and they tell me to leave it outside even if I can pull it along.

I need to see how it really works before making a full purchase. I think that a rental option would boost their sales. It would for this potential buyer.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
GregRice
GregRice will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

ilinyc,
I just read your post comparing the Ninebox with our beloved Segways. I have been a Segway user every since the smaller P133 model came out in 2003 or '04. The P133 is the best Segway to compare the Ninebot E with. They're almost the same size and weight. I have 4 P's now because I use them almost daily. Segway stopped manufacturing the P series in 2006 I believe. So for a smaller rider the P's size and scale is better suited for me than the bigger current models. The Ninebot/Segway acquisition will provide a PT for a segment of the market that is not being covered now by Segway. For users like me the Ninebot offers a PT that a buyer can buy new, with newer technology batteries, longer range and electronics instead of looking for used Segway machines that are mostly 10 plus years old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GregRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:31 AM   #5
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
Hi, rwoynaro.

The rep uses it as transportation. I think that it could be used for far greater distances than short ones although gliding into a meeting sounds fun.

It's difficult to judge these things because you can't buy an expensive mode of transportation, scuff it up and return it. But that's the only TRUE way to know whether it's going to work for you or not. Or at least for me.

My discomfort doesn't fully come from its feeling less substantial (I do think that it could be improved). But it comes from leaning forward as if to face plant...without a lean steer...but feeling confident that you won't fall completely forward.

I also want to use it on the sidewalk, in 5pm pedestrian sidewalk traffic, in blocked crosswalks, when a smartphone zombie isn't watching where they're going, when I get bumped by someone, on that downhill/uphill slope, when I am at a store and they tell me to leave it outside even if I can pull it along.

I need to see how it really works before making a full purchase. I think that a rental option would boost their sales. It would for this potential buyer.

Thank you Lil, I appreciate your insight. At some point, I will get around to trying one out if I can get the chance.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Hi GregRice - That's cool. I'd never heard of a Segway P133 before.

I do appreciate the points about the Ninebot having newer technology. I'm just happy that I haven't replaced my i2's batteries nor made any further investment. We'll see what's new given the acquisition.