SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

View Poll Results: How many are interested
How many of you are directly interested? 3 60.00%
Do you think it would facilitate travel with a Segway? 5 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
Nano-Oil.com
Nano-Oil.com is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway Doctor/Surgeon recommended mobility device ADA

Hello All, I just had surgery yesterday double hernia no big deal, so I ask my surgeon if he could write me a letter recommending Segway as a preferred mode of transport and exercise during my recovery since I am going to 2 trade shows 1- BladeShow Atlanta then jump in a plane to a Paris France 5 day Armament trade show,
I am already ADA but wanted to push the envelope a touch cause one of my great pleasure is to train handicapped people where ever I find them to show them alternatives in mobility .
So my questions,
- have any of you dealt with a Doctor that actually recommended to a patient? I heard they are some .
- is any one of you a Doctor or Surgeon that has any opinion on the Subject?
Nano-Oil.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano-Oil.com View Post
Hello All, I just had surgery yesterday double hernia no big deal, so I ask my surgeon if he could write me a letter recommending Segway as a preferred mode of transport and exercise during my recovery since I am going to 2 trade shows 1- BladeShow Atlanta then jump in a plane to a Paris France 5 day Armament trade show,
I am already ADA but wanted to push the envelope a touch cause one of my great pleasure is to train handicapped people where ever I find them to show them alternatives in mobility .
So my questions,
- have any of you dealt with a Doctor that actually recommended to a patient? I heard they are some .
Before anything......! what batteries due you have......
I think thats were you will have problems flying...
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Nano-Oil.com
Nano-Oil.com is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have stock lithium batteries and I am already on my second leg of the trip,
I did get a letter from my Surgeon asking that my Segway accompany me to the gate
Problem 1 in Oakland, the plane was delayed 20 minutes because of conflicts in internal guiding documents and procedures of Southwest, everything was going well until an over zealous employee asked the Lithium question question and I was put to the side, while supervisors were called in, no less then 4 extra personel arrived and and started peeling off the details going back and forth between the computer and my machine showing its bellly for battery identification,
The documentation is calling the open bridge between the 2 batteries " Vent Holes " funny cause I had planned to cover those with carbon fiber vinyl but did not had the chance to do it before taking off,
Finally they decided to call higher up called CSC which cleared every thing and further qualified my return on Southwest as Pre Qualified and looks like permanent on Southwest since I exclusively fly with them, please do not ask what CSC stands for cause they , themself did not know what the acronym stands for,
I only had to answer very straight forward questions
1- is this an assistive mobility device for you or a toy
2- when are you returning and what airline
The second question was actually pre qualify Segway for my return,
When I asked, what happened? since I am flying with Seggy since 2004, the supervisor told we that they originally were working on a 4 year old guidelines and that calling CSC cleared the confusion quickly, they just were not caught up at the gates with protocol but undeniably, the Chinese lithium garbage caused all this mayhem with all airlines cause people are trying to sneak them in.
My next leg is Paris France today and will report after landing as I have no intention of leaving Seggy behind, I love her.
Nano-Oil.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

I think you got lucky. The last I knew, the only way Segway lithium ion batteries could fly would be if they were packed and labeled as hazardous material. Even then, never on a commercial passenger aircraft.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
I think you got lucky. The last I knew, the only way Segway lithium ion batteries could fly would be if they were packed and labeled as hazardous material. Even then, never on a commercial passenger aircraft.
I believe the IATA regulation says "The prohibition does not
apply to lithium ion batteries packed with equipment or lithium ion batteries contained in equipment"

In other words, if the batteries are installed on a Segway, that would not violate the regulation.

HOWEVER - individual airlines may impose additional restrictions.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #6
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
I believe the IATA regulation says "The prohibition does not
apply to lithium ion batteries packed with equipment or lithium ion batteries contained in equipment"
This was most definitely not the case in the past. It used to be that you could ground ship Seg batteries, if installed in the equipment, without the shipment being HAZMAT. If you were shipping batteries only, even ground shipments were required to be HAZMAT.

If going by air, Seg batteries were required to be HAZMAT packed and labeled, and could only travel on cargo-only aircraft. Seg lithium ion batteries couldn't be brought/shipped on any commercial passenger aircraft. Period.

Did this change? I'll wager that MTO Battery knows!
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #7
Paulvinet
Paulvinet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
If going by air, Seg batteries were required to be HAZMAT packed and labeled, and could only travel on cargo-only aircraft. Seg lithium ion batteries couldn't be brought/shipped on any commercial passenger aircraft. Period.

Did this change? I'll wager that MTO Battery knows!
The IATA Regulations changed in 2015. The thread was started asking about ADA-specific requirements. The regulations are simple, yes a Segway with lithium-ion batteries may be shipped BUT the batteries must stay installed AND the Segway must be used as a disability mobility aid. In some cases, a letter or attestation to that effect might be useful. I don't need a letter because I have a seat on my Segway and it's obvious that my walking ability is compromised.

Note that under no circumstances other than ADA can a Segway with Li-Ion batteries be shipped by air. That is crystal clear in the new regulations.

Last edited by Paulvinet; 06-06-2016 at 10:17 PM..
Paulvinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:35 AM   #8
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvinet View Post
The IATA Regulations changed in 2015. The thread was started asking about ADA-specific requirements. The regulations are simple, yes a Segway with lithium-ion batteries may be shipped BUT the batteries must stay installed AND the Segway must be used as a disability mobility aid. In some cases, a letter or attestation to that effect might be useful. I don't need a letter because I have a seat on my Segway and it's obvious that my walking ability is compromised.

Note that under no circumstances other than ADA can a Segway with Li-Ion batteries be shipped by air. That is crystal clear in the new regulations.
slightly different topic, but I would love your feedback. I am disabled myself. What seat do you use on your seg and how do you like it ? Maybe add that on the handicap section. Thanks.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:40 AM   #9
Gimpy guy
Gimpy guy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano-Oil.com View Post
So my questions,
You are not ADA, no human is. You are an American with a qualifying disability.
The envelope you look to push has been pushed for years. Search the disability section.A doctors note means little to nothing to those that will obstruct.

You can't fly with liOns. Period.

As a L4 complete para I ask what qualifies you to train people with disabilities?
Hope you carry heavy insurance.

BTW the term handicapped people is incorrect. It's person with a disability. People first. I know it sounds like PC crap but if you want to swim in those waters better have the lingo correct.
Gimpy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #10
Gimpy guy
Gimpy guy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvinet View Post

No longer the case.
The airlines saw they were in error and reversed that decision. Fly with them and you are subject to harsh fines etal.

The ADA does not apply to airlines once ypu are at the gate. At that point it's the ACAA. Important to know that. No person with a qualifying disability ever needs an note from a doctor. If they ask it's a violation of ones civil rights.

Last edited by Gimpy guy; 06-07-2016 at 07:03 AM..
Gimpy guy is offline   Reply With Quote