SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #11
Burke2
Burke2 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

What I'm saying is that if Segway goes through Amazon, they are BYPASSING the dealer network completely for their unique new product. It means they finally have something under $1K, that might actually sell to young people, and dealers can't offer it. It means they also have decided no hands-on (pun intended) training is necessary.

Maybe I'm overreacting and am completely wrong.

But you're right--the margins have always been lousy; that's never changed.

Janice
Burke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #12
mathiegi
mathiegi is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

be carefull, the have no redundancy and are unsafe...
Just one bad part and you will fall in full speed!!!
mathiegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I thought the original Segway offering was also only through Amazon. Is this very different? Am I mis-remembering the original launch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #14
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
I thought the original Segway offering was also only through Amazon. Is this very different? Am I mis-remembering the original launch?
Wow, good memory! True, before Segway had the dealer network. Those machines (i167s) were $5,000+, you had to travel to a training center to be trained before you could get your machine, and IIRC there was a limit of 2 per person.

Now a low-end Segway is $999-$1299, and possibly comes with free 2-day shipping.

Accelerometers and gyros and all the fancy equipment used in Segways used to cost a fortune. Segway still uses some top-notch components (especially in the i2) and those huge batteries are still mega-expensive...but the downward price trends in cellphones has also made a $999 Segway possible. Cool.
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:47 AM   #15
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Airline safe?

I wonder if lithium mass and Ah are below faa limits.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #16
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post
I wonder if lithium mass and Ah are below faa limits.
From the official specs page: "30 of 18650 high power import lithium battery unit"
http://www.ninebot.com/ninebot/ninebot-mini/canshu.html

An 18650-sized Li-Ion battery typically has a rating of 1500-3400mAh (1.5-3.4Ah) and a nominal voltage of 3.7V.

Mathematically, Wh (watt-hours) = Ah (amp-hours) * V (voltage). So that results in 5.55Wh-12.58Wh per cell.

Adding all 30 cells together, we have a total capacity of 166.5Wh to 377.4Wh. For a high-power battery, we could be looking at more than 377.4Wh total.

What's the FAA's Li-ion Wh limit? 100Wh. With airline approval you may be able to carry two spare batteries of up to 160Wh each.
http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives...info/?hazmat=7

If the Segway Mini Pro has two battery packs (for redundancy) that split up the power, there's a small chance that those two batteries could be carried on your flight if the airline gives their approval. If there are two of them and they're <=160Wh each then they're basically "super-extended-life" laptop battery size.

For comparison, the huge extended-life battery in a Dell XPS 15 is 84Wh. Laptop manufacturers understand the FAA ratings, and they always (or almost always) stay under that 100Wh limit.

One side note: the Ninebot C (the non-Pro Mini) has an 83Wh battery according to the "Ninebot's US distributor" specs. I wonder if these could be used on the Mini Pro.
http://www.ninebotus.com/content/ninebot-one-specs.pdf
Old 01-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #17
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathiegi View Post
be carefull, the have no redundancy and are unsafe...
Just one bad part and you will fall in full speed!!!
Does anyone know about this for sure?

Ninebot's specs page for their full-sized model says:
"Dual redundant backup system Backup for main parts"
http://www.ninebot.com/ninebot/Nineb...ion/index.html

NinebotUS's (whose site shows the mini ninebots...exclusive distributor?) FAQ:
"Every Ninebot has a redundant electronic control system. Should the Ninebot electronic control components ever fail; it will automatically switch to the backup electronic control system. This feature is to ensure that the Ninebot will be able to transport you in the event of a system failure. This does not compensate for low battery power."
http://www.ninebotus.com/faq/

I know that Segway P-series and I-series machines have redundantly-wound motors and two mainboards which are electrically isolated and two batteries and redundant accelerometers and all sorts of awesomeness. I don't know if the Segway Mini Pro will rise to that level of sophistication at a $999-$1299 price point, but I expect that Ninebot-Segway have learned from more than a decade of experience which components most critically need that redundancy--so I'm hoping that the ~$1000 Mini Pro is engineered to a level worthy of Segway.

On a completely separate note: Ninebot-Segway branded knee pads, etc. Kind of cool
http://www.ninebot.com/ninebot/ninebot-mini/index.html
Old 01-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #18
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

Not sure how accurate the blowout graphic is under the heading of "Aircraft grade magnesium alloy frame" is, but it seems to show just one battery under the platform. The whole design of it appears like a miniaturized version of a Segway.

http://www.ninebot.com/ninebot/ninebot-mini/index.html

The marketing is unintentionally funny. In the next section of that same web page is this gem: "Despite a complete safety guarantee, raising awareness of safe riding is also required – so don’t ride near people or vehicles or on freeways."

That would leave... riding alone on a path that allows Segways...??
Old 01-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #19
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I can't stop looking again and again the Safety Control list which mentions Stop when falling protection.

-Stop when lifted protection
-Stop when falling protection
-Over-speed warning
-Antiskid vacuum tire
-Disaster recovery design
-Fault alarm and black box
-Power on self test
-Intelligent battery monitoring

As long as it is a safety feature, I guess it doesn't matter if you fall over in the first place, right?

As for the Disaster recovery design, I have no clue what does it mean.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #20
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

[QUOTE=energetic;238789]I can't stop looking again and again the Safety Control list which mentions
-Antiskid vacuum tire

So if I start to skid- the tire vacuum sucks on the road to stop me??
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote