SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Ninebot One E+ Training Wheels

Since the Segway merger, I've been a bit more interested in Segway's Ninebot One E+ "self-balancing one-wheeled scooter".

Apparently Amazon's algorithms noticed this. Today I got an add for Ninebot One "training wheels":
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S67UES2/

Okay, now I'm interested. I watched this video of a guy riding a Ninebot One up a sidewalk on a hill in San Francisco. I don't know how practical it would be...but it looks kind of fun.

None of these "new" Ninebot machines look like they're nicer machines than the I2, but the new MiniPRO is really interesting from a "small and light" perspective--and the One E+ from a "hey that could be fun to play on" perspective.
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I had a similar product (different make/model) called the AirWheel. I posted about it here for info: http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=32064
Old 02-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
AaronC
AaronC is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

If you're interested in the Ninebot One as a more recreational addition to your current Segway then I would definitely say go for it. One wheeled self balancing vehicles are fun in a totally different way compared to the two wheeled versions. One thing to keep in mind though is that the learning curve is MUCH steeper and longer, for most people I have seen an average learning curve of one week practicing for an hour daily before gaining the competency necessary to ride on the sidewalks. I tell people it's like learning to ride a bike all over again, it's very difficult for a short time and then it will "click" and suddenly you will be riding. Nobody gets it the first time.

If you're looking for something to use as a practical transportation device for commuting then the Ninebot One still has some advantages but they come with compromises. I was able to ride safely on the sidewalk after three or four days of practicing but I waited two weeks before using it to commute to work because it felt necessary to gain a high level of competency before I could maintain sufficient safety for others sharing the pedestrian areas. The main tradeoff for riding a Ninebot One as a serious transportation device is that you cannot come to a complete stop without stepping off with one foot. This means being able to mount unassisted from a standing position to take off riding when it's time to go. Again, this is a difficult skill that takes time to master and is necessary for safe riding in the city. However once you are skilled in riding it is quite possible to ride at a slow crawl that is nearly stopped and reduce the instances where you need to actually step off.

The main advantage to the Ninebot One (and the mini to a lesser degree) is the small size, though it's not light. You can pick it right up and get on a city bus or a train. It's also an extremely cool feeling to step off a bus or train and get right on your Ninebot One and glide off. I store my Ninebot One in my office every day and charge it next to my front door when I get home. With a trolley handle accessory it's also very easy to hop off the Ninebot One and push it around when you take it to the grocery store or somewhere you couldn't ride it. Pushing it around with you is a much better alternative to leaving it parked outside in my opinion, and it was one of the major advantages that made me choose it over a traditional Segway. I always take it inside anywhere I ride it, I don't have to worry about its safety and it's so small nobody has ever seemed to feel that I was imposing on their space by having it with me.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by AaronC; 02-02-2016 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: clarity
AaronC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Excellent info, Aaron! Thank you! I'm hopeful that we get more EUC folks around here to share their experiences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:22 AM   #5
Yan Kee
First Timer
Yan Kee is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have a similar one from another brand, Solowheel. Its true the learning curve is very steep . The best way to learn is not to use the training wheel, just let the wheel falls when fails, not to worry about the wheel gets scratched.
Yan Kee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
electricunicyclelady
electricunicyclelady is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronC View Post
If you're interested in the Ninebot One as a more recreational addition to your current Segway then I would definitely say go for it. One wheeled self balancing vehicles are fun in a totally different way compared to the two wheeled versions. One thing to keep in mind though is that the learning curve is MUCH steeper and longer, for most people I have seen an average learning curve of one week practicing for an hour daily before gaining the competency necessary to ride on the sidewalks. I tell people it's like learning to ride a bike all over again, it's very difficult for a short time and then it will "click" and suddenly you will be riding. Nobody gets it the first time.

If you're looking for something to use as a practical transportation device for commuting then the Ninebot One still has some advantages but they come with compromises. I was able to ride safely on the sidewalk after three or four days of practicing but I waited two weeks before using it to commute to work because it felt necessary to gain a high level of competency before I could maintain sufficient safety for others sharing the pedestrian areas. The main tradeoff for riding a Ninebot One as a serious transportation device is that you cannot come to a complete stop without stepping off with one foot. This means being able to mount unassisted from a standing position to take off riding when it's time to go. Again, this is a difficult skill that takes time to master and is necessary for safe riding in the city. However once you are skilled in riding it is quite possible to ride at a slow crawl that is nearly stopped and reduce the instances where you need to actually step off.

The main advantage to the Ninebot One (and the mini to a lesser degree) is the small size, though it's not light. You can pick it right up and get on a city bus or a train. It's also an extremely cool feeling to step off a bus or train and get right on your Ninebot One and glide off. I store my Ninebot One in my office every day and charge it next to my front door when I get home. With a trolley handle accessory it's also very easy to hop off the Ninebot One and push it around when you take it to the grocery store or somewhere you couldn't ride it. Pushing it around with you is a much better alternative to leaving it parked outside in my opinion, and it was one of the major advantages that made me choose it over a traditional Segway. I always take it inside anywhere I ride it, I don't have to worry about its safety and it's so small nobody has ever seemed to feel that I was imposing on their space by having it with me.

Hope that helps!
I totally agree! The Ninebot One is perfect for commuting. It's easy to take everywhere with you (especially with the trolley handle). I think you made a really good point too that you can take it inside anywhere you ride it instead of leaving it outside and having to worry about it.
electricunicyclelady is offline   Reply With Quote