SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I Got Stopped! (Not on my Segway)

After ten years of gliding along the bike trail (early hours before populated), I was stopped by the park patrol this morning.

I was on an electric kick scooter, not my Segway, and was probably stopped because I was using the electric part in the non-bike area. Let me explain...

This is an area of the pier along the water. Over the years, anytime I've gotten or tried a new thing including my Segway i2, I tried it there first. It's off of the bike trail on flat ground away from everyone for a few hours in the morning. It's perfect.

Over the years, I was able to glide on my Segway also up and down the bike trail early on weekends without a problem other than a couple of speeding bikers yelling at me on occasion.

So this morning was a bit of a shock. When they told me I had to get off of it, I told them that I was going to the bike trail. They said I couldn't or I'd face a $500 fine. So I complied, but then called to inquire. It's a hybrid. It can be used as a kick scooter, and it was confirmed when I called that yes, kick scooters are allowed.

Anyway, I'm annoyed. This scooter doesn't really look electric. I messed up by not having a rearview mirror. But now I certainly can't use my Segway like I used to (haven't used it in a few years anyway). My favorite and only path was that path along the water.

I may even need to get a regular bike, which I hate because I'm short already, so sitting down further isn't safe. Hence the stand-up alternatives. *sigh*

I was told that the patrol officers are new, but maybe in the years of my absence, things like hover boards, etc. have been used and heightened intolerance for anything motorized even though the fastest motorized gadget doesn't equal speeding bikers. Just sayin'.

Last edited by lilnyc; 06-18-2016 at 09:41 AM..
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote