SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
JPM
JPM is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Question i167 Safety Shutdown when handlebars raised

Hello everybody,

It's been a long time coming, but today I finally picked up a gently used First Generation Segway i167 (complete with original red button and working kickstand, too!).

The Segway runs great and it has already taken a ride on the local light rail train, downtown, and all around my community, however there is one small problem that I'm curious about.

When the handlebars are raised above a certain height, the Segway will not power up, or if powered, will perform a safety shutdown. I was made aware of this before my purchase and still went ahead because it really isn't an issue yet, but am just curious as to why this may be happening. My Segway dealer and I removed the handlebars and put some tape around the handlebar connectors in case they were being pulled apart, and it did allow the Segway's handlebars to be raised a bit higher without a problem, but after one bump it entered safety shutdown and I had to lower the handlebars back down a bit before she would start again.

As I said, this isn't a problem yet, as fortunately the handlebar height 'sweet spot' is fairly comfortable for me, but I'm just wondering if anybody else has encountered a similar problem and may know a solution so i won't have to worry about handlebar height, should I ever need to pack it in the car or something and raise and lower the handlebars to load and unload.

Thanks very much in advance for your input!

We're one of a kind as we travel around
The wind in our face, and our feet off the ground
As we see brand new things and have stories to tell
While gliding atop just two wheels, parallel
JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Did you check the wiring and connections at the top of the handlebar?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

What Dale said.
My i167 runs into the same problem and there's no other way I know of to fix the bottom part than to duct tape it
I've been trying new things every day but none seem practical.

But the top should be checked too.

Last edited by Tritium; 09-02-2014 at 11:41 PM..
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
JPM

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
Did you check the wiring and connections at the top of the handlebar?
Hi Dale,

I haven't checked the top of the handlebars yet, but I can see that's probably going to be my next course of action. I should have some time this evening to devote to it, and I'll see what we've got in there.

My best guess is the wiring just doesn't like to be pulled as the bars are raised, so I'll see if there's some way I can secure the top and lower ends of the wire so they remain stationary while only the middle part of the wires are allowed to pull.

I'll post back once I've had a chance to crack 'er open with the results.

Thank you!

Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
JPM

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
What Dale said.
My i167 runs into the same problem and there's no other way I know of to fix the bottom part than to duct tape it
I've been trying new things every day but none seem practical.

But the top should be checked too.
Hi Tritium,

Thanks for your input. I put a bit of tape around the connectors near the bottom before I purchased the unit which helped a bit. When I have some time this evening, I can try really taping her up good and see if that helps.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Tye Wraps are a great permanent fix, and if you want even more, wrap of tape in other direction so they don't slide off ends.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
JPM

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Well, I removed the entire handlebar assembly and checked the wires at the top and bottom. There didn't appear to be anything loose on the top portion, and just to make sure, I used duct tape to secure the wires in place on the very upper portion of the handlebars to prevent them from stretching too much with the raising of the bar.

Moving onto the bottom, I wrapped both connectors in duct tape in case they were coming apart as well as wrapped both the cables together so there wouldn't be any greater amount of tension on one cable than the other.

All of that said and done, the shutdown still, unfortunately happens. Once the handlebar is raised above a certain point, it'll perform the shutdown and won't restart until you lower the bar.

Fortunately the height it allows me to raise the bar to isn't uncomfortable, but if anybody else has any suggestions as to why it may be happening, I'd be all ears. I should also point out that large bumps seem to trigger the problem as well. This afternoon I rode over a decent size bump with a good jolt, and that triggered the shutdown as well. I'm positive the two are connected which leads me to believe it's just something that's loose.

At least I'll be saving my knees slowing down for the big bumps now!

Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM View Post
Well, I removed the entire handlebar assembly and checked the wires at the top and bottom. There didn't appear to be anything loose on the top portion, and just to make sure, I used duct tape to secure the wires in place on the very upper portion of the handlebars to prevent them from stretching too much with the raising of the bar.

Moving onto the bottom, I wrapped both connectors in duct tape in case they were coming apart as well as wrapped both the cables together so there wouldn't be any greater amount of tension on one cable than the other.

All of that said and done, the shutdown still, unfortunately happens. Once the handlebar is raised above a certain point, it'll perform the shutdown and won't restart until you lower the bar.

Fortunately the height it allows me to raise the bar to isn't uncomfortable, but if anybody else has any suggestions as to why it may be happening, I'd be all ears. I should also point out that large bumps seem to trigger the problem as well. This afternoon I rode over a decent size bump with a good jolt, and that triggered the shutdown as well. I'm positive the two are connected which leads me to believe it's just something that's loose.

At least I'll be saving my knees slowing down for the big bumps now!
Two other possibilities I know of:
The CSB may have loose connections
The connectors may have dirt in them

It always drives me insane when my gen 1 has an issue like yours is having
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
JPM

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
It always drives me insane when my gen 1 has an issue like yours is having
Yeah. It's one of those things that doesn't really affect safety, comfort, or rideability, but it just makes you curious as to what's causing it!

I had one last thought... I may take the handlebar apart again, and then pre-stretch the stretchy cables on the inside to take away a bunch of the tension that's in there when the handlebars are raised. I'm hoping I can carefully stretch them loose enough so nothing tugs when the handlebars are raised and lowered... We'll see what happens!

Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #10
JPM

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking Success!

I'm pleased to say, I've fixed the problem!

Replaced the CSB?
New set of handlebars?
Inserted my own algorithm into the code to prevent any further safety shutdowns from happening?

Nope...

Duct tape and a bamboo stick!

I removed the entire handlebar assembly again, but this time once I had the upper part of the handlebar off, I left about an inch of the coiled cable alone at the very top and bottom of the cable length, and stretched the entire middle section of the coiled cable all the way down as far as it would uncoil. At that point I took a thin bamboo rod and pressed it against the stretched cable, and duct taped it firmly to the rod in three spots. I snapped of the excess bamboo and fed the entire thing down the shaft and plugged the cables together. Because I left about an inch untouched at the top and bottom, there was absolutely no tension on the connectors, and despite the handlebar being raised all the way up, there was no pulling force on anything because the middle was already stretched with the help of the rod!

She started up just fine, rode like a dream, and after testing on bumps and other rough terrain, performed with nary a problem!

The only thing you can't do now is lower the handlebars beyond a certain point, because the bamboo rod will hit the base of the inside of the control shaft and will prevent you from lowering the bar any further. This isn't a problem for me, but if anybody else having this problem wants to try a similar fix as this, just be aware of this one small limitation.

Tags
handlebar, height, i167, safety, shutdown