SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #21
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post
I carry 3 things: a copy of my state EPMAD laws, ADA complaint form, 2014 DOJ ruling on EPMAD ("a Segway should be permitted wherever a wheelchair is permitted"). The first thing I ask for is their 'ADA coordinator', this usually gets the desk jockey's attention that you know more than they do. In my phone is the DOJ ADA hotline number (but it isn't staffed on weekends). Only once has it escalated to the point where I have said, 'I have a DOJ ADA form we need to fill out'; they did let me in and a week later changed their website regarding Segway as an EPMAD(!). It has always been the case that I am the first disabled Segway user they have ever seen, I have been asked if I was lost from the Segway tour.

If the place I want to visit has a website with a statement about accessibility I check that out. If not, I may call first and ask their policy, then educate them.

Only 2 places have not backed down, both in CA, the Getty Museum in L.A. And the S.F. Academy of Science. Their response was essentially, 'tough luck, report us if you want'. I didn't, there's too much other stuff I want to do.

And... Lily Kerns' advice is very good.
Thanks very much for your input. I am going to follow your plan.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #22
Popkorn
Popkorn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
One of the best advocates I have heard is our own Lilly Kerns here on SegwayChat. She has had alot of experience with getting this type of stuff resolved and has a wealth of information. I have greatly appreciated her input over the years. Search on her posts and you will find great resources about various regulations and how to lobby to get them adhered to. Just a shout out in case someone else finds it useful.
Thanks to all who replied to my post.

Just back from a short vacation & wedding in Virginia. We did Segway tours in D.C. and Richmond VA and am even more fired up to work on this issue! Planning to start at the county level and see what happens.

Coincidentally, there was a gentleman and his wife visiting the Wintergreen property. He was gliding through the lobby to his car equipped with a Segvator. They were gracious enough to talk to me about its use and how the Segway has changed their lives given his MS condition.

I'll certainly follow-up on the suggestion to get in touch with Lilly Kerns.
Popkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:39 AM   #23
rwoynaro

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkorn View Post
Thanks to all who replied to my post.

Just back from a short vacation & wedding in Virginia. We did Segway tours in D.C. and Richmond VA and am even more fired up to work on this issue! Planning to start at the county level and see what happens.

Coincidentally, there was a gentleman and his wife visiting the Wintergreen property. He was gliding through the lobby to his car equipped with a Segvator. They were gracious enough to talk to me about its use and how the Segway has changed their lives given his MS condition.

I'll certainly follow-up on the suggestion to get in touch with Lilly Kerns.
How was the tour in Richmond ? I live about 90 miles north of there and would be interested to hear what you saw. Maybe I can get down there myself.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #24
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoBob View Post
I took this as high as I could and just ran into higher levels of incompetency. They have the power and we make easy victims. They won the battle. Maybe if they keep winning enough, disabled people will begin giving them the "single-finger salute" and stay away with their vacation dollars. Then, we will have won the war.
Surprisingly for a state noted for their love of tourism dollars, this sort of attitude is normal there from my experience

We're boaters and every year the Florida legislature passes more laws designed to make any one from any state other than Florida who owns a boat unwelcome in Florida waters. A group of multi-millionaires who own waterfront mansions and don't like to see any boats anchored 1/4 mile off their shore will petition the Florida legislature for a law banning anchoring there and the legislature happily complies - More new laws like this are passed every year

If you own a federally documented vessel (which means no state registration is required) Florida will either demand you to register your boat in Florida (and pay them a hefty tax to do so) *or* buy a 'visitor pass' for $85 per year if you intend to stay in waters off Florida shores for 90 days or more

We circumnavigated Florida in 88 days and I was very glad to get out of Florida's waters. As others have said, vote with your $$$ and find some other place to vacation

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #25
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
One of the best advocates I have heard is our own Lilly Kerns here on SegwayChat. She has had alot of experience with getting this type of stuff resolved and has a wealth of information. I have greatly appreciated her input over the years. Search on her posts and you will find great resources about various regulations and how to lobby to get them adhered to. Just a shout out in case someone else finds it useful.
I'm going to look her up. I still have my i2, but now I also have a MiniPro, which I believe would be easier to get approved since it's smaller.
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #26
Popkorn
Popkorn is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've been in touch with a few of the county departments and received some positive feedback.

With regards to Lily Kerns, it looks like she passed away in October 2015. You can Google it. I don't have 5 posts, so I can't post a link.
Popkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:04 AM   #27
rwoynaro

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkorn View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. I've been in touch with a few of the county departments and received some positive feedback.

With regards to Lily Kerns, it looks like she passed away in October 2015. You can Google it. I don't have 5 posts, so I can't post a link.
Oh no, darn. She was a good friend. Her son used to post her too, I haven't seen anything from him either in a while.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #28
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

R.I.P. Lily Kernes AGE 82
https://www.facebook.com/lily.kerns.18

MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #29
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

I am so sad to hear about Lily. I loved her posts here - very intelligent and classy lady.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote