SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #1
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Exclamation Stolen: X2 conversion

Today here in Oro Valley, Arizona, my beloved Segway i2 with X2 turf tires was stolen while in security mode.
No keys and no valuables were left with it.

A police report has been filed and I'm submitting Serial Numbers tomorrow, please be on the lookout for this machine, equipped with code3sports red/blue patrol lights and saddlebag installed.

This machine is a 2013 model bought in January of 2014 and was my only mode of transport.

Thank you!!!
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:31 AM   #2
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Where was it parked? I frequently leave mine in security mode next to the grocery entrance, rather than lock it to a pole farther away, so this is concerning.

It must have taken more than 1 person - I can't imagine how an individual would successfully drag off a Segway in security mode.

I hope it was insured - it's relatively inexpensive.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Wow, very sorry to hear that. That's really too bad about it being in security mode, too, and still able to be stolen. A warning to other owners who may also use that mode without some sort of physical security to go along with it...
Old 03-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

That has always been my fear.....

I keep it in safety mode and chain it....Like the chain does much? Keep the honest, honest?

Buy the time mine is setup has to weigh 130lbs or more....Has to be people with a pickup truck and 2 strong men....

I would assume it was some what planned?

Sorry for the loss, Im 120 miles north of you, I will listen more than look....There isn't no one that rides one up here, other than me....
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I presume this was the machine with the "random full-stop" symptom that you described in http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=33634

Sorry to hear about the theft. Out of curiosity, could you describe the "scene"? What sort of location, etc. etc.?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
Where was it parked? I frequently leave mine in security mode next to the grocery entrance, rather than lock it to a pole farther away, so this is concerning.

It must have taken more than 1 person - I can't imagine how an individual would successfully drag off a Segway in security mode.

I hope it was insured - it's relatively inexpensive.
It was parked behind the store by an electrical box.
Definitely two people, or Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Wow, very sorry to hear that. That's really too bad about it being in security mode, too, and still able to be stolen. A warning to other owners who may also use that mode without some sort of physical security to go along with it...
Thanks, I have always worried about using just security mode, after a police officer was able to throw it in the back of his Chevy Tahoe in under a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
That has always been my fear.....

I keep it in safety mode and chain it....Like the chain does much? Keep the honest, honest?

Buy the time mine is setup has to weigh 130lbs or more....Has to be people with a pickup truck and 2 strong men....

I would assume it was some what planned?

Sorry for the loss, Im 120 miles north of you, I will listen more than look....There isn't no one that rides one up here, other than me....
I'm guessing some jacka** just saw it and said, "hey let's throw this in the back of the truck and bounce"
There's really no 100% way to lock it up, the lift bars take 3 screws, the LSF takes one, and those are basically the only two places to lock it up.
Out of security mode, I've been able to get it in the back of the car solo, but it takes time and definitely not just a drive up and grab job.

Thanks, if it isn't already in Mexico being stripped for batteries and electronics, it might appear at pawnshops and Craigslist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
I presume this was the machine with the "random full-stop" symptom that you described in http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=33634

Sorry to hear about the theft. Out of curiosity, could you describe the "scene"? What sort of location, etc. etc.?
Yep, it was that one, and it had stopped showing that issue a few days ago surprisingly...
Behind a Kohls next to an electrical box, laying down.
It was midday/afternoon.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

No security cameras behind Kohl's?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #8
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
No security cameras behind Kohl's?
Nope... Barely even any in front either, unfortunately...
Old 04-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
There's really no 100% way to lock it up, the lift bars take 3 screws, the LSF takes one, and those are basically the only two places to lock it up.
This avoids the aforementioned issues :

PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:25 AM   #10
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
This avoids the aforementioned issues :

Too bad they don't make them anymore

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote