SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default More Battery Questions

Probably answered here somewhere, but I couldn't find it

If you have an extra set of good I2 batteries not installed on a machine, how often do you need to charge them? Once every 6 months? Every 3 months? Can you periodically check the voltage and tell when they are beginning to run low?

Lithiums with no drain on them usually hold their charge for a long time . . . . but how long? I understand I need to keep my machines plugged in at least every week or so because you can never fully turn them 'OFF' since the Bluetooth is always powered up waiting to hear from the Info-Key and that drains the battery

Has anyone ever installed a switch on an I2 to completely shut it off so it doesn't need to be plugged in so often? Wonder why Segway didn't do that?

Thanks!

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

It's Zigbee, not Bluetooth, but in answer to your question, the "Li-Ion Important Information manual says,
Quote:
In order to maintain the best performance from your Segway PT Batteries, fully charge your Batteries for at least 12 hours, once a month, or once every 12 hours of operation — whichever comes first. Make sure your Batteries are within the specified charging temperature range when charging.
Here's the link to the manual.
http://www.segway.com/media/1595/li-...nformation.pdf

If there were a switch that could be reached while riding, certainly someone would try it...while riding. Maybe Segway thought that having a "kill switch" might be a bad idea for a device that depends on power to prevent face plants. It might be nice if the power to the radio board could be switched off, but that would require Segway to change the design of the Gen II series, and I don't think that's going to be happening.

Last edited by Civicsman; 07-11-2016 at 03:52 PM..
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
Don M

5 yr Member
Default Another Question

There are separate battery chargers built in for each battery on the I2. When recharging, one battery usually gets full faster than the other, based on when the light starts to blink. Can you tell anything about the battery condition based on which one takes longer to fully recharge? Would the longer charge time indicate a battery in better condition or with a higher remaining capacity?

Thanks,

Don
Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
GlideGuy
GlideGuy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Keep in mind that the front battery drains due to the radio. Therefore, it will take longer to charge as compared to the rear battery since the rear battery is not discharged as much.
GlideGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Actually, it is the rear battery that runs the radio board. Motor efficiency and resistance of batteries and other connections can all play a role in the charge time for each specific battery. I don't believe that I would put much merit into the difference in charge time.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
Don M

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOBATTERY View Post
Actually, it is the rear battery that runs the radio board . . . . I don't believe that I would put much merit into the difference in charge time.
I had about figured that out yesterday. On one machine with more or less equally age batteries the front battery always finished first, but on the other machine which has a near new battery in front and a ten year old battery in back, they both finished at the same time after a deep discharge cycle

I was hoping to learn something about the condition of that old battery, but evidently it measures up with the newer one pretty well, even though it's so old it scares me a bit

Don
Old 07-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
GlideGuy
GlideGuy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Actually, it is the rear battery that runs the radio board. Motor efficiency and resistance of batteries and other connections can all play a role in the charge time for each specific battery. I don't believe that I would put much merit into the difference in charge time.
Yes, rear battery! Thanks for catching that!
I have noticed a slight difference when I store my Segways over the winter and charge them monthly.
GlideGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
but on the other machine which has a near new battery in front and a ten year old battery in back
You should certainly be concerned about the older battery. Since the average life of these batteries is far less than 10yr there is a high probability that one day it will suddenly stop working. Since the Seg monitor the internal resistance of the battery you will likely get some pre-warning as you may notice that it reduces the speed you are able to go or provides an emergency shutdown or reduced speed (push back) when going up an incline.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
Don M

5 yr Member

So far, so good - The machine with the ten year old battery gives me more range than the other one. I think on flat ground it would do the full 24 miles. The last time I checked it, after an 11 mile glide around town it still showed 5 bars on the gauge, the other machine showed just 3. But I am checking my options for one or more newer batteries just in case

Don
Old 08-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Question

[Q
Quote:
maybe a switch that could just shut off the radio?
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote