SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

[QUOTE=Lily Kerns;236186]As I understand it, you can refuse to allow the use of a Segway or other OPDMD based on three reasons only : it would disrupt your program, for certain environmental issues, or actual safety risks. The safety risk must be actual, not based on stereotypes or speculation about how the device will be used.

I suspect that not allowing someone to take a tour based on their disability comes under a slightly different category of refusing service because of their disability. Since he demonstrated his ability to get on and off, I would guess it is a violation and should be reported. I agree however that we don't have quite enough information to make that judgement. That is the DOJs role anyway.

When reporting this, you will be asked if there were others who witnessed this. You should also expect the process to take a good bit more time than will seem reasonable...my caregiver certainly is a witness and i am in his book as completing a tour/lesson prior.that was certainly aggravating my helper wanted a tour also/ i plan on us riding in there to show him what nice segways we bought from another dealer.and how safe and stable i glide.i pride myself on how polite and respectful i am on sidewalks or in public areas i see myself as representing the segway community at large. i always let pedestriand have the right of way by turning to face sideways even into a bush or hedge. when passing so they arent intimidated with me coming head on. im always under 2-3mph if not dead slow.

Last edited by rotorblades; 10-29-2014 at 02:27 PM..
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
GlideGuy
GlideGuy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
my caregiver certainly is a witness and i am in his book as completing a tour/lesson prior.that was certainly aggravating my helper wanted a tour also/ i plan on us riding in there to show him what nice segways we bought from another dealer.and how safe and stable i glide.i pride myself on how polite and respectful i am on sidewalks or in public areas i see myself as representing the segway community at large. i always let pedestriand have the right of way by turning to face sideways even into a bush or hedge. when passing so they arent intimidated with me coming head on. im always under 2-3mph if not dead slow.
Please don't delete the [/QUOTE] tag when replying...it makes finding your reply...challenging.

I can certainly see where a tour guide would have concerns if the entire group was limited to 2-3 MPH based on the slowest rider in the group. That would double...if not triple the time of the tour.
GlideGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

First, I get the impression that Rotorblades is cutting and pasting, not using the quote button, but I could be wrong. I agree, it is hard to find his comments most times.

Next, I am glad RB prides himself on being courteous and being a good segway representative. But titles like that are for the other person to ascribe, not the person themselves.

I can say I am handsome. I can mean it. I can believe it. That does not make it so in the eyes of another.

I can say lots of things, and mean them, but still have others form alternate opinions. This is normal.

There is clearly a part of the tour story we do not know. If the tour operator were convinced that RB could get on and off a segway well, and use one well, it makes no sense that he did not let him glide. There clearly has to be some other facts in play that we do not know.

Don't get me wrong, the tour operator may easily be wrong. I do not know. I just cannot believe a person in a customer service kind of services job would deny people on the tour without some reason. Of course, the reason may be in his head. Or, he may have come to a different conclusion than RB...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #14
rotorblades

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=rotorblades;236190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
As I understand it, you can refuse to allow the use of a Segway or other OPDMD based on three reasons only : it would disrupt your program, for certain environmental issues, or actual safety risks. The safety risk must be actual, not based on stereotypes or speculation about how the device will be used.

I suspect that not allowing someone to take a tour based on their disability comes under a slightly different category of refusing service because of their disability. Since he demonstrated his ability to get on and off, I would guess it is a violation and should be reported. I agree however that we don't have quite enough information to make that judgement. That is the DOJs role anyway.

When reporting this, you will be asked if there were others who witnessed this. You should also expect the process to take a good bit more time than will seem reasonable...my caregiver certainly is a witness and i am in his book as completing a tour/lesson prior.that was certainly aggravating my helper wanted a tour also/ i plan on us riding in there to show him what nice segways we bought from another dealer.and how safe and stable i glide.i pride myself on how polite and respectful i am on sidewalks or in public areas i see myself as representing the segway community at large. i always let pedestriand have the right of way by turning to face sideways even into a bush or hedge. when passing so they arent intimidated with me coming head on. im always under 2-3mph if not dead slow.
i can easily pick up the pacefor a group i was only talking about when gliding alone in public view i keep the speed slow just not to give a bad impression because people"talk" you know.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
rotorblades

Unhappy

[QUOTE=rotorblades;236195]
Quote:
i can easily pick up the pacefor a group i was only talking about when gliding alone in public view i keep the speed slow just not to give a bad impression because people"talk" you know.
i finally received my dual kit from segvator and have it installeddirections are a little lacking for an old brain like mine. but what a sweet invention. easy toload entirely by myself two x2s side by side is really impressive and cute.rollersfor the LS is not made to handle having the bar bag onnow im ready for a road trip with my friend.ive read someplace the inverter wont charge two.their packaging was a little poor but boy am i excited.
i got quite a compliment saying i ride "masterfully"im proud of that one..i now would recommend one of these lifts just not trying to do business with them. they ignored my dealer and embarrassed him. emails and phone messages went unreturnedto him. such a useful product. i hope they work this out .
Old 11-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #16
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
.... they ignored my dealer and embarrassed him. emails and phone messages went unreturnedto him......
Perhaps they have had unsatisfactory experiences with your dealer?

But (just curious) - how do you know that they didn't reply to your dealer's emails and phone messages?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #17
rotorblades

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
My experience with SegVator has been great. I have 2 of them, they work fine and both purchase transactions went fine. I did go thru my Segway dealer to get them.
vator said their volunteers"were the "problemi got a copy of their email to my dealer- yes just one sided here. but im just reporting my experience with them.im using my dual lift a lot now.im pretty disabled but can easily do this lift myselfand be sure the segs are clamped on tight. nice design i think
Old 11-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #18
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
vator said their volunteers"were the "problemi got a copy of their email to my dealer- yes just one sided here. but im just reporting my experience with them.im using my dual lift a lot now.im pretty disabled but can easily do this lift myselfand be sure the segs are clamped on tight. nice design i think
Glad its working out for you. I like the SegVator. A few things I have picked up over the years using mine that may be of help. I have MS and needed to find a procedure to use them. One thing, be careful that you dont turn on the light next to the raise/lower button and leave it on. I find the light useless, my RV uses the same assembly and it also has that same light. Its easy to turn it on if you are leaning on the top and not notice and you can leave it on. I actually took the bulb out of my RV one so I didn't accidentally leave it on. I left the bulb in the SegVator so I can quickly tell if it is getting power. Occassionally the 7 pin connector can work its way loose and you wont have power to the SegVator. The first time it happened, I went under the hood checking wiring and figured it was the in-line fuse. It turned out it was just the 7 pin connector not seated tightly. So if the SegVator doesnt work, I just try the light right away, and if not coming on, check to make sure the 7 pin connector is pushed in all the way. Mine works its way loose maybe 2 or 3 times a year, probably because of driving over bumps.

If you have your infokey on a wrist strap or somewhere accessible, be careful not to accidentally start the segway while its on the SegVator. I did that once just picking up the wrist strap with the info key and it fired up the segway on the rear bumper. The hold down bars activated the foot sensor buttons and the seg thought I was riding it while it was on my SegVator. I have found you only have to raise the segway enough for the 2 hold down bars to just touch the mats, it doesnt compress the foot sensor buttons in that case. At first, I used to crank it down tightly, you dont need to and it will stay in place fine. All common sense stuff that I have encountered using it every day and should have know better about, but I figured I would pass it on and save you from finding out accidentally. Good Luck
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote