SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
segrick-ATL
segrick-ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Smile i2 that flies with lithium batteries - rules change

After reading the comments about lithium batteries and the rules that keep them off passenger aircraft for the last several years... but good news-
The rulesde have changed for carrying g2 Segways (lithium) on passenger aircraft. Whatever your perspective - about time, who would a thought or just holy cow, its great news. The latest july 2014 rules change from the DOTs PHMSA removes the size or lithium content limits and watthour limits for wheelchairs or other mobility aids. Specifics are in 49cfr 175.10 and 173. Again - mobility aids, in keeping with the ACAA rules. Each airline will need to change support documents for their staff and work on communicating the guidelines to passengers when the time comes. This is an important step - the timing was right. I was able to take my i2 to HNL for my vacation on Delta. They have made the document changes and are taking these steps toward being a logical choice for passengers with disabilities. I used a protected bag from Airshells.com sized for a rigid chair and took the handlebars off but LSF attached to base. The Segway arrived in good condition...as expected. Here's to a new travelling freedom if you follow the rules!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by segrick-ATL View Post
After reading the comments about lithium batteries and the rules that keep them off passenger aircraft for the last several years... but good news-
The rulesde have changed for carrying g2 Segways (lithium) on passenger aircraft. Whatever your perspective - about time, who would a thought or just holy cow, its great news. The latest july 2014 rules change from the DOTs PHMSA removes the size or lithium content limits and watthour limits for wheelchairs or other mobility aids. Specifics are in 49cfr 175.10 and 173. Again - mobility aids, in keeping with the ACAA rules. Each airline will need to change support documents for their staff and work on communicating the guidelines to passengers when the time comes. This is an important step - the timing was right. I was able to take my i2 to HNL for my vacation on Delta. They have made the document changes and are taking these steps toward being a logical choice for passengers with disabilities. I used a protected bag from Airshells.com sized for a rigid chair and took the handlebars off but LSF attached to base. The Segway arrived in good condition...as expected. Here's to a new travelling freedom if you follow the rules!
This is great news.
Can you give us a quick link to this information to use if needed? Google isn't picking up on any of this....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
jrwilcox
jrwilcox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I was able to find these:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/175.10
http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/part-173

Not sure if these are the updated rules or not.

Jim

"I'd much rather be happy than right any day."
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
jrwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwilcox View Post

Jim
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...5_110&rgn=div8. (This link is the update.)

Section 17 is the relevant one (I think) and yes, this is current as of October 16, 2014

Now please tell me how to translate this into "yes I can take my i2" to an airline employee!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
GregRice
GregRice will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Segrick-ATL, would Delta let you gate check your Segway for mobility in the airport?

GregRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #6
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwilcox View Post

Jim
Jim,

Thanks for the links. That's probably the best news I've gotten in months!

segrick-ATL,

That's the best news out of Atlanta since the reintroduction of Coke (classic)

Now I just need to get all of my "fact sheets" reprinted.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default Accuracy of this is suspect

We've been traveling all week (yes on airlines and yes with my Segway and no not with lithium ions) so I haven't had an opportunity to fully visit this. It would however appear that after reading the updates to

title 49 Section 175.10 Exceptions for Passengers, Crewmembers, and an Air Operators. That as this applies to the Segway nothing has changed.

(17) A wheelchair or other mobility aid equipped with a lithium ion battery, when carried as checked baggage, provided—

(i) The lithium ion battery must be of a type that successfully passed each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria (IBR; see §171.7 of this subchapter), as specified in §173.185 of this subchapter, unless approved by the Associate Administrator;

(ii) The operator must verify that:

(A) Visual inspection of the wheelchair or other mobility aid reveals no obvious defects;

(B) Battery terminals are protected from short circuits (e.g., enclosed within a battery housing);

(C) The battery must be securely attached to the mobility aid; and

(D) Electrical circuits are isolated;

(iii) The wheelchair or other mobility aid must be loaded and stowed in such a manner to prevent its unintentional activation and its battery must be protected from short circuiting;

(iv) The wheelchair or other mobility aid must be protected from damage by the movement of baggage, mail, service items, or other cargo;

(v) Where a lithium ion battery-powered wheelchair or other mobility aid is specifically designed to allow its battery to be removed by the user (e.g., collapsible):

(A) The battery must be removed from the wheelchair or other mobility aid according to instructions provided by the wheelchair or other mobility aid owner or its manufacturer;

(B) The battery must be carried in carry-on baggage only;

(C) Battery terminals must be protected from short circuits (by placement in original retail packaging or otherwise insulating the terminal e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch);

(D) The battery must not exceed 25 grams aggregate equivalent lithium content; and

Since I believe the Segway battery each contain approximately 36 grams they still exceed that which is permissable on passenger carrying aircraft.
I will confirm this tomorrow and post the answer.
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #8
sitseg
sitseg has a spectacular aura aboutsitseg has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Nothing has changed. The regulations STILL only allow up to 25 gram equivalent on passenger airlines. Segway lithiums exceed 25g. The PHMSA site also confirms the 25 g. limit.

http://phmsa.dot.gov/safetravel/batteries
sitseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadSquad View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3](D) The battery must not exceed 25 grams aggregate equivalent lithium content; and

Since I believe the Segway battery each contain approximately 36 grams they still exceed that which is permissable on passenger carrying aircraft.
I will confirm this tomorrow and post the answer.
Based upon the regulations as I read them I agree. I would highly recommend anyone interested in traveling with their Segway contact DOT. They should be informed that each OEM Segway lithium battery is 382.7Whr/battery and 765.4Whr/machine. The lithium content of each OEM Segway lithium battery assembly is 35.88g/battery and 71.76g/machine.

They will provide a clear interpretation to your questions in writing if you mail your question to them.

Helpline Phone Number: 202-366-4433

Address: U.S. Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration East Building, 2nd Floor 1200 New Jersey Ave., SE Washington, DC 20590
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

BTW, awesome research by everyone! I genuinely hope there is a way for those in need to travel with these batteries.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote