SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

View Poll Results: When a poster disagrees with moderators regarding a topic,what should that member do?
First the poster should go educate themselves and read the Terms of Service. 13 61.90%
The poster should have known not to bring up the topic in the first place. 1 4.76%
The poster should have looked through past posts to find what topics were taboo and then not posted. 1 4.76%
The poster should let the matter drop and be silent when asked/warned by any moderator. 8 38.10%
The poster should discuss what's acceptable with the moderator, and then rephrase things. 16 76.19%
The poster should quietly drift away and never post again. 3 14.29%
The poster should show their dissatisfaction by whine incessantly about lots of unrelated topics. 0 0%
The poster should leave and start their own forum without any fear of reprisals or harassment. 4 19.05%
The poster should repost alot making a pain of themselves because obviously it must be important. 0 0%
The poster should do whatever possible to annoy everyone until they are banned. 1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:20 AM   #1
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Poll to get your advice - plz do not post a reply to this thread

First let me request everyone NOT to hit the reply button.

Let me repeat that say that again for emphasis. Do _not_ hit the reply button.

Start another thread if you must. But I don't want this thread deleted because someone derails it and sends it towards unpleasant topics. And I certainly don't want to see this thread locked.

SO, once again, do not hit the reply button. Am I clear?

Now with all that said, I'd like to point out that if you respond to this thread, your name is recorded next to the option you select. You will not be responding anonymously. You can select several options if you find several acceptable.

I'd like to comment more, but I'm going to do so in http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=17985 because I'm following my own advice and....

NOT hitting the reply button!

Last edited by polo_pro; 03-01-2008 at 03:29 AM..
Old 03-03-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

Default bumpity bump bump bump

I do appreciate everyone's time and effort in responding to the poll and letting me know of other missing choices/options in http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=17985

ps - Yes, I do see the irony in my above post, and then this reply. As I stated before, please respond in the above thread so this thread remains untouched (and thus not the target of any deletion).
Old 03-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
polo_pro
Advanced Member

Default Complete answer

I've noticed a clustering in the answers. It says alot that so many in the SC readership knows to go first to the ToS, and then approach the moderators to resolve sticky situations. I know I've done this in the past several times.

If you haven't yet responded to the poll, it closes on Sat. I'd like to hear your opinions, and I'd also like to folks to select three or more choices in the poll. I'm looking to the SC membership for guidance beyond the two obvious choices of:

- First the poster should go educate themselves and read the Terms of Service.

- The poster should discuss what's acceptable with the moderator, and then rephrase things.

If you feel the above two choices are sufficient, don't feel you have to select a third. And just as I said in the original post above, if you want to discuss the choices, please do so in http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=17985
Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
polo_pro
Advanced Member

Default Last chance folks

I voted in the poll. I didn't want to influence the vote by doing it sooner. If others also didn't want to affect the outcome, now's the time to jump in and votet like I did. This poll ends in a few hours.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to participate in the poll. I really felt I need the readership's advice. I've also posted further comments in http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=17985 so this thread remains focused. I'll be happy to discuss things further over there.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

What's acceptable isn't a "discussion" with the mod or anyone else. What's acceptable is outlined in the ToS. If the subject matter of a post is so ambiguous that one cannot determine whether the post is a personal attack or not, or whether the post contained sexual content or not, hten the post was not typed in English.

Moderating a MB is a lot simpler than all of that. If a poster follows the ToS. he/she should be able to post whatever they want. That's it. The terms of the ToS aren't negotiable. Either people folow the rules or they don't.

Honestly, polo, I don't understand why this isn't as easy for you to see as it is me. I'm not being facetios. I don't really undestand your issue. I've been on MBs for years without any Moderation issues as long as people folow the ToS. A slong as the Tos is written and followed clearly, there will never be a problem.

Oh, and once again, you have ignored my advice about polls on smaller, specialty websites such as SC. The 20 or so people who bothered to respond to your poll tell you absolutely nothing. It's the opinion of (a few) people who respond to polls, not people who post on MBs. There could very easily be 60 people who would have voted completely different from the respondants above, but since most people lurk polls and don't vote, you'll never know. Poll results from 20 people, when you are trying to see how hundreds feel, are meaningless.

Unless you can site an example where a poster followed the ToS, and was unjustly moderated or banned, I don't see a problem.

Websites of this size will never get more than 30 people to vote in any given poll, even if you mailed them a free lunch. If you want to see a poll that works, go to a news or sports site that will get a few thousand respondents, not 20. In the meantime, this is a moot point.

Tim
Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

There are several examples I know of Tim, but that being said I will not get into that. The moderators never once denied the act of moderating outside the tos so this point is null. The truth, however Tim, is that there have been occasions when one has not violated the tos and been moderated!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 03-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
There are several examples I know of Tim, but that being said I will not get into that. The moderators never once denied the act of moderating outside the tos so this point is null. The truth, however Tim, is that there have been occasions when one has not violated the tos and been moderated!

Jeremy Ryan
I'm sorry to hear that posts that followed the ToS were moderated (does that mean deleted?). It makes me nervous to know that the opinions I read only exist if the moderators WANT that opinion to exist THAT'S censorship.

Well, it's a free country. I don't have to post here, so I shouldn't complain; there's other places on the net to discuss Segway. If I or anyone else don't like it here, we should not post, or just be positive when we do post if we don't want to be unjustly moderated as you said is the case.

Individual opinions may not be important anyway; what's important is that there be a collection of POSITIVE ONLY posts for people to read, lol.

Tim
Old 03-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default It is unfortunate...

... that this topic is still generating interest. This is ridiculous.

I have been away for a while, and surmise, that will continue to be the case, but I was surprised and dismayed to see that the word of the admins of this site is being taken with such a grain of salt.

The fact that we seem to be slammed for doing, slammed for not doing, and then asked for justification, etc. for our actions is so frustrating.

In my experience, when posts / posters are moderated, they are indeed informed. So anyone who says that they were moderated without their notification for an innocuous issue is being disingenuous. Only in extreme cases (especially when spammers cloud the forums with posts about free Nokia phones and iPhones), do we completely delete the posts.

Please let me also respectfully add that anyone who knows, thinks they know, or has any inside track to what the admins / mods of this site do on the back end on a daily basis (as some opinions in this thread expres) really need to question the evidence and from whom the evidence has come from.

This site is about Segways, not about the agendas of the people who own them. Lets get back to talking about Segways, and how we can enjoy them and not get sidetracked by conspiracy-theories or flaming.

See you around.

-Sal
Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Yes

And since the poll is over and the person who started the poll has left, I think it's time to close it down. Sal said it better than I could.

Pam
Closed Thread