SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Mini pro modification

I can use the knee stear but my legs are not as nimble as the machine is designed for. Has anyone made a modification for a lean stear? Maybe a "cradle" for a cane. Your input would be appreciated
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:08 AM   #2
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

I was thinking about this very thing. I recently purchased an i2 (for dirt cheap) that needs a battery (or two.) I was thinking that I might be better off just buying one of the Minis and making a new steering handle for it. I have a spinal cord injury and am partially paralyzed. There's no way in heck I could use the knee-steer mech. A regular Segway setup, however, works very well for me. I have machine and fabrication tools here at home, so I'm thinking that I could find a way to modify the MiniPro.
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Ninebot makes a handlebar for the Ninebot mini (nearly identical to the Segway Mini Pro)
https://9bot-store.com/products/hand...rce=newsletter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Ninebot makes a handlebar for the Ninebot mini (nearly identical to the Segway Mini Pro)
https://9bot-store.com/products/hand...rce=newsletter

Nice! So, for less than the cost of batteries for the deadSeg I just bought, I could buy a brand new Mini AND the handlebar setup. Let's see. $1,500-2000 for Segway batteries (that are made in China) or less than $1,000 for a brand new unit (also made in China.) At first, I thought that going with the Segway and buying batteries would be supporting U.S.-based manufacturing and engineering. Then, I looked at the stickers on the battery. "Made in China."

If you had to choose between a Segway and a Ninebot Mini, which would be the better choice? I guess they both have their advantages. I don't understand the economics of how the complete mini with an add-on handle can be half the cost of only the batteries for a Segway. I waited over ten years before I finally had the opportunity to get a Segway, and now I'm wondering if it was a mistake!
Old 08-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
alex250874
alex250874 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Handlebar Kit for Ninebot by Segway MiniPro

MiniPro with handlebar is a great feature. For under $1,000 you can get new MiniPro with a knee controlled bar and with a handlebar. Switch in between when you like.

The product is still new and it is hard to say how it will compete with Segway. If anything it will help MiniPro sales and won't affect Segway. The fact that Segway stopped selling PTR in the US is more relevant to protecting Segway sales.
alex250874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

It depends on your anticipated or intended usage. The minipro could not replace my i2 for my usage.
  • I often need most of the 24 mile range of the i2. The minipro range is only 14 miles.
  • I would find the top speed of 10 mph a bit too slow for the distances I travel.
  • I use my i2 over a variety of questionable terrain (bumps, holes, sidewalk breaks, and other irregularities and debris). The wheels on the minipro are too small to safely deal with many of these scenarios.
  • I often need to carry stuff (helmet, lock, groceries, etc.) both in the bag and hung from the handlebar. There is little or no provision for this on the minipro.
  • The i2 is convertible for off-road (and higher top speed) with my x2 conversion parts.
  • I have not yet seen evidence that the minipro has the same redundancy in systems that the i2 has. Having gone through a few failures and graceful shutdowns, I can't emphasize enough how important this is for safety.

Last edited by PeteInLongBeach; 08-07-2016 at 07:30 PM..
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:15 AM   #7
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
It depends on your anticipated or intended usage. The minipro could not replace my i2 for my usage.
  • I often need most of the 24 mile range of the i2. The minipro range is only 14 miles.
  • I would find the top speed of 10 mph a bit too slow for the distances I travel.
  • I use my i2 over a variety of questionable terrain (bumps, holes, sidewalk breaks, and other irregularities and debris). The wheels on the minipro are too small to safely deal with many of these scenarios.
  • I often need to carry stuff (helmet, lock, groceries, etc.) both in the bag and hung from the handlebar. There is little or no provision for this on the minipro.
  • The i2 is convertible for off-road (and higher top speed) with my x2 conversion parts.
  • I have not yet seen evidence that the minipro has the same redundancy in systems that the i2 has. Having gone through a few failures and graceful shutdowns, I can't emphasize enough how important this is for safety.

Thank you for that insight, Pete. The wheel size is something I considered right off the bat. Small wheels encountering inconsistent terrain have MUCH greater rolling resistance. A 1-inch lip on a sidewalk would be a good bump for an i2, but it would be like a hurdle for the MiniPro. Also, I hadn't thought too much about the redundant safety systems. I am partially paralyzed, so having to quickly bail from a balancing device would be anything but graceful. It's good to know that the i2's systems very well might prevent a serious injury. That, alone, makes a huge difference in my mind. I typically use a wheelchair to get from A to B, so a broken upper extremity would be a huge obstacle for me.

Aside from the cost, the biggest thing that attracts me to the MiniPro is the portability. It would be nice to be able to lift it up with one hand and put it in the car. Fortunately, my Seg came with a ramped hitch carrier. I'll probably just keep it mounted on my truck at all times. It will be handy for taking the Seg (and dogs) to the park. I can't wait to get this thing going! I gave up hope of ever owning a Segway, so it's weird to look over and see this one just waiting for me to ride it.