SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
vasia
vasia is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Commuting with the miniPRO

Hey ya'll,

I just got my miniPRO earlier this week. I clocked in almost 10 miles of varied travel in my office building, in the parking lot, and the streets around my apartment in the first 2 days before I braved the commute to work. I travel from Koreatown to Hollywood (8 miles roundtrip) and I have to say, I'm pretty amazed with the capabilities of this little guy. Everyone knows that CA and LA are broke and smooth sidewalks are a luxury we don't see often, but the miniPRO has no problem blasting over cracked and uneven sidewalks. The biggest obstacle has honestly been other people. I consider myself to be a vigilant person, but it seems that others are completely unaware of their surroundings. I can't tell you how many times I've hollered ahead "coming up on your left" only to have the person gasp and jump when I go past them (at a mindful speed of course, I will always slow down to a brisk walking pace when passing pedestrians on the sidewalk. And give them as much space as possible). Did you seriously not hear me shouting from 20 feet back? Also, watch out for sidewalk cafes. You'll look up to dodge the umbrella top, but don't forget about those legs that stick out from the base. D'oh! Anyway, the thing is a blast and it beats sitting in LA traffic. My company gives us bonuses to take alternative forms of transit which is a big reason why I got the miniPRO. They also reimburse us for Metro travel so I'm considering mixing my travel with Segway and the red line to help shave a few minutes off the commute. Maximize my profit :P Intrigued to see if I'll face any opposition taking the miniPRO on and off the train. Has anyone taken their miniPROs onto the LA Metro yet? There was some law passed banning hoverboards, but the basis of that was for fire safety concerns (obviously not an issue with the Segway). Also wondering if anyone else is using their miniPROs (or classic Segways for that matter) as a legitimate commuter device? Would love to hear stories.

Glad to join the Segway family. Always thought these things were cool
vasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I am glad to hear people are mindful when passing pedestrians.

The beauty of the Segway is its ability to match walking speed, or stop and stand, as needed. It can flow with pedestrians on a sidewalk. Moving faster is the same as running through crowds. Surprises will happen.

I walk my dog on sidewalks with the segway. I have had people turn into me or kids dart out and cause me to have to stop. The parents apologize, but I also apologize. I figure it is more on me since I am the one moving differently than other pedestrians. I am more than happy to follow along behind people at walking speed. Just waiting as long as needed, until there is plenty of room so I can give them a wide berth.

Walking the dog, I had a gentleman ask me how the dog could tow me that fast (7-ish mph). He thought the Mini Pro was an unpowered cart.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I guess I'm very glad I don't live in LA. I can't imagine pedestrians on the sidewalk being expected to move over because someone on a motorized device expects to get the 'right of way' to pass whenever they desire just by yelling at you! There are plenty of pedestrians using earphones and no doubt they probably don't hear you

We frequently ride on sidewalks too, but we never announce we're expecting the 'right' to pass - We do so only when there's adequate room and that means we sometimes follow pedestrians for a block or so at their pace before there is an adequate opening to go around them

IMO, pedestrians on sidewalks have the right of way 100% of the time and we share their environment only when space allows . . . . and we don't holler at them!

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
I guess I'm very glad I don't live in LA. I can't imagine pedestrians on the sidewalk being expected to move over because someone on a motorized device expects to get the 'right of way' to pass whenever they desire just by yelling at you! There are plenty of pedestrians using earphones and no doubt they probably don't hear you

We frequently ride on sidewalks too, but we never announce we're expecting the 'right' to pass - We do so only when there's adequate room and that means we sometimes follow pedestrians for a block or so at their pace before there is an adequate opening to go around them

IMO, pedestrians on sidewalks have the right of way 100% of the time and we share their environment only when space allows . . . . and we don't holler at them!

Don
No one expects pedestrians to move over, as you say. Strawman.

In my community, it is normal to say "on the left" or something ("nice day") as you pass someone. It is considered courteous behavior. Joggers, bicyclists, skaters, power walkers, and many others use it. Even on our local and barely used 10 foot wide sidewalks.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

10 foot wide, barely used sidewalks are never a problem. Narrow sidewalks full of people, everyone moves along at the same pace . . . . the pedestrians as well as us on our Segs. Trying to go faster than those in close proximity to you will eventually cause a problem - Hopefully it's just the MiniPro rider taking a tumble and he doesn't take out any pedestrians with him

Inconsiderate behavior is a sure-fire way to get all of us banned from the sidewalks forever, which is already the case in some cities

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #6
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Quote:

Inconsiderate behavior is a sure-fire way to get all of us banned from the sidewalks forever, which is already the case in some cities

Don
Agreed.

I wouldn't worry about others being hurt since the MiniPro is a small thing with little power and it shuts down when things get wonkie. It doesn't have the Killdozer mode the i2 and x2 have.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:04 AM   #7
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default segways on Metros

Kind of related: you are allowed to take the Segway on the Washington DC area "Metro". You have to take a 30 min or so introductory session, and then they give you a card that will allow you to use it. Its a great way to get around DC. DC is like the mecca of segways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasia View Post
Hey ya'll,

I just got my miniPRO earlier this week. I clocked in almost 10 miles of varied travel in my office building, in the parking lot, and the streets around my apartment in the first 2 days before I braved the commute to work. I travel from Koreatown to Hollywood (8 miles roundtrip) and I have to say, I'm pretty amazed with the capabilities of this little guy. Everyone knows that CA and LA are broke and smooth sidewalks are a luxury we don't see often, but the miniPRO has no problem blasting over cracked and uneven sidewalks. The biggest obstacle has honestly been other people. I consider myself to be a vigilant person, but it seems that others are completely unaware of their surroundings. I can't tell you how many times I've hollered ahead "coming up on your left" only to have the person gasp and jump when I go past them (at a mindful speed of course, I will always slow down to a brisk walking pace when passing pedestrians on the sidewalk. And give them as much space as possible). Did you seriously not hear me shouting from 20 feet back? Also, watch out for sidewalk cafes. You'll look up to dodge the umbrella top, but don't forget about those legs that stick out from the base. D'oh! Anyway, the thing is a blast and it beats sitting in LA traffic. My company gives us bonuses to take alternative forms of transit which is a big reason why I got the miniPRO. They also reimburse us for Metro travel so I'm considering mixing my travel with Segway and the red line to help shave a few minutes off the commute. Maximize my profit :P Intrigued to see if I'll face any opposition taking the miniPRO on and off the train. Has anyone taken their miniPROs onto the LA Metro yet? There was some law passed banning hoverboards, but the basis of that was for fire safety concerns (obviously not an issue with the Segway). Also wondering if anyone else is using their miniPROs (or classic Segways for that matter) as a legitimate commuter device? Would love to hear stories.

Glad to join the Segway family. Always thought these things were cool
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
vasia
vasia is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks guys
vasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #9
Technogeezer
Technogeezer is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default California State Law regarding Segways

Search for (california state law segway AB 470) in California for the legal definition of a Segway where a Segway is regarded as a pedestrian with the same rights. If you can go as a pedestrian, you can take your Segway.

I'd post the link, but I'm a newb.

Dan
Technogeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:

Don
Does anyone have a list of cities or places where Segway PTs and/or miniPROs are specifically banned (for non-disabled users)? The media loves to bandy about the term "ban" as a widely implemented action with respect to EPAMDs as being a real thing.....but whenever I've looked into this over the years it appears there are very, very few places in USA where "bans" currently exists.

Almost every US state has EPAMDs laws on its books. I think perhaps the only high population place without one is New York City?

I imagine there are or were many instances of specifically defined areas where local councils have put in place restrictions (some of which may have expired). It is the number and extent of these I am quite interested in hearing about. In particular, why it was deemed necessary to apply restrictions to the specific location (e.g. beach front, busy street, etc)?

For example, can someone confirm if the downtown San Francisco restriction that allows EMAPDs on urban roads but not footpaths is still in force?