SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
GregRice
GregRice will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Do I Have To Let Segways Into My Business?

Interesting article I just read about businesses allowing Seg's used by people with disabilities into their businesses.

http://www.lexology.com/library/deta...c-78d53429bd66
GregRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregRice View Post
Interesting article I just read about businesses allowing Seg's used by people with disabilities into their businesses.

yes....Ever heard of ADA?

http://www.ada.gov/
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregRice View Post

I'm guessing that this analysis is probably fairly accurate as a statement of the current all over situation. It simply has not gotten to the litigation point enough to establish any definitive and practical guidelines for the average business owner.

I've chronicled my experiences over the past few years in this forum...
Most of us are aware of the Disney fiasco, and I 'd still like to know just what kind of "proof" was offered in the other case mentioned. It is hard to tell from the media reports.

It is hard for a business (or a judge, for that matter) that has no idea of the capabilities of a Seg to accurately judge their safety under their existing conditions. I think this puts a huge responsibility on the Segway community in general and the disabled who use them, in particular, to be very visible, very vocal and very proactive on this matter. Like it or not we are judged by how we use them. Like it or not, we are also judged as a result of ignorance and prejudice, and that can be very difficult to overcome.

If you are not disabled, as you talk about your Seg with the general public, don't forget to mention their use by the disabled as one of the exciting things about them. If you are disabled, be eager to share how and why they work so well for the disabled. Offer to demonstrate, make every move you make on them an example of skill and courtesy.

If you are challenged, be prepared to quote both the law and the research. (see http://draft.org.) be firm but courteous, offer to call the DOJ at that moment and see what happens when you reach for your cell phone... If necessary, call 911, explain that you are being illegally denied access and ask for a police offer who is ADA knowledgeable and and tell that you have a copy of the law available if needed (I carry several copies of that handout in the Seg bag,)

Refer a store or business that is dubious about the matter to another store that has no problem with a Seg --Walmart for example. ( I have a nephew in law who is a Walmart executive so I am very confident in saying this.). Every scenario will be different, so sharing here can be helpful for others.

Educating the public is the responsibility of every Seg user. We are always teaching whether we like it or not.

OK, off my soapbox!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Since I have not been able to establish that my own personal Segway use constitutes a disability accommodation, I pretty much never attempt to take it into a store. However, if a store did have a problem with me being a Segway owner (for example, if they didn't allow me to lock it to their bike rack), there is a pretty good chance that if the Segway had to go, I would go with it.

What I'm trying to say is, even in cases where you don't have to allow Segways, barring Segway owners from the premises can be bad for business. You don't have to allow Segways inside if they aren't for disability purposes, but the nicer you are to your customers, the more likely they are to stay loyal to you. (Just in case any business owners are reading this thread. )

This has never happened to me, though - I use bike racks, and no business owner has ever complained about it.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post

What I'm trying to say is, even in cases where you don't have to allow Segways, barring Segway owners from the premises can be bad for business. You don't have to allow Segways inside if they aren't for disability purposes, but the nicer you are to your customers, the more likely they are to stay loyal to you. (Just in case any business owners are reading this thread. )
They are not allowed to ask if you are disabled thats part the the ADA rules..

I do not tell many people why I am not allowed to drive, and I would be calling the police and the DOJ if someone questioned me!..
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
They are not allowed to ask if you are disabled thats part the the ADA rules..

I do not tell many people why I am not allowed to drive, and I would be calling the police and the DOJ if someone questioned me!..
Actually, are you disabled is the ONLY thing they can ask. They cannot ask for any details about your disability, however. Under ADA 2010 they also have to accept your state issued disability card or tag OR your verbal assurance of disability if there is no visual evidence to the contrary as sufficient proof of disability.

I have had them ask if you have a medical reason for using a Seg, which, to me is an acceptable equivalent.

I have never seen any discussion about whether it is acceptable to ask some one in a wheelchair or mobility scooter if they are disabled... Since they must allow these devices without regulation, I'm guessing that this would not be acceptable... Anyone know?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Since I have not been able to establish that my own personal Segway use constitutes a disability accommodation, I pretty much never attempt to take it into a store. However, if a store did have a problem with me being a Segway owner (for example, if they didn't allow me to lock it to their bike rack), there is a pretty good chance that if the Segway had to go, I would go with it.

This has never happened to me, though - I use bike racks, and no business owner has ever complained about it.
It wouldn't hurt to ask first... The climate of acceptance is changing, albeit slowly...
Old 10-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Cybercat
Cybercat is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:

I frequently roll my Segway into a store, and park it just inside the front door. Safer there than outside, of course. I have yet to have anyone stop me. Some places express interest in it - no one has told me to take it outside.
Cybercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Violet
Violet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
Actually, are you disabled is the ONLY thing they can ask. They cannot ask for any details about your disability, however. Under ADA 2010 they also have to accept your state issued disability card or tag OR your verbal assurance of disability if there is no visual evidence to the contrary as sufficient proof of disability.

I have had them ask if you have a medical reason for using a Seg, which, to me is an acceptable equivalent.
Great information. Thanks.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote