SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 AM   #1
rambron
rambron is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Mini Pro Reverse Steering Backwards

Hello,

I just got a Mini Pro and am wondering if anyone else thinks that the reverse steering is opposite of what it should be. Does anyone know a way to switch it?

When going forward, you lean into turns and it turns as you would expect; just like a skateboard. Lean left, go left. But going backwards, leaning the same direction causes it to turn the opposite direction. Lean left, go right. Does mine have an issue or is it designed like that?

Maybe I'm too used to skateboarding, but whatever way you lean to turn the wheels, should be the same in either direction. I keep getting knocked off when I maneuver quickly in reverse and forget to lean opposite of what feels natural.
rambron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambron View Post
Hello,

I just got a Mini Pro and am wondering if anyone else thinks that the reverse steering is opposite of what it should be. Does anyone know a way to switch it?

When going forward, you lean into turns and it turns as you would expect; just like a skateboard. Lean left, go left. But going backwards, leaning the same direction causes it to turn the opposite direction. Lean left, go right. Does mine have an issue or is it designed like that?

Maybe I'm too used to skateboarding, but whatever way you lean to turn the wheels, should be the same in either direction. I keep getting knocked off when I maneuver quickly in reverse and forget to lean opposite of what feels natural.
The control bar directs the nose of the MiniPro not the tail. The big Segways do the same. It is speculated that it is part of what caused the fatal accident of the owner of the company. Furthermore, Ellen fell off of hers by trying to turn while moving in reverse.

Do not try to turn while backing as the instructions clearly say. It is better to do a quick 180 in place and head forward instead of backing a long distance. And have fun counting how many Segway riders in youtube videos fall off due to turning while backing.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
TopFloridian
TopFloridian is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Going reverse on a Segway product works the same as driving a car in reverse.

If you are too young to drive a car yet or don't drive this can be disorienting.
Most experienced car drivers won't have a problem with it.

The rule is to lean (ie: Steer) the vehicle in the direction that you want to go.
So for example if you want to backup and go to the right - lean to the right!
TopFloridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFloridian View Post
Going reverse on a Segway product works the same as driving a car in reverse.

If you are too young to drive a car yet or don't drive this can be disorienting.
Most experienced car drivers won't have a problem with it.

The rule is to lean (ie: Steer) the vehicle in the direction that you want to go.
So for example if you want to backup and go to the right - lean to the right!

Be sure to video the event when you do that. Hold the camera in landscape not in portrait mode.

Backing one axle (segway) does not work the same as backing two axles (car), three axles (car + trailer), four axles (tractor + hay wagon), etc).

Last edited by Pescador12; 12-17-2017 at 01:24 PM..
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
truck
truck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Be sure you're in a nice big clear soft area and you're wearing head protection.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
electrijim
First Timer
electrijim

5 yr Member

Any attempt to change the way a Ninebot/Segway steers in reverse would be a disaster. Segways steer as follows: Moving the handle to the left causes you to turn counterclockwise, and right turns you clockwise. Whether you're going forward or reverse has no effect on the above steering. But the design change that Rambron wants would require instantly reversing both wheels when the Segway THINKS you are traveling in reverse. I can see huge potential for injuring riders when the wheels unexpectedly change rotation.
electrijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #7
dditzler
dditzler is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

I agree the steering is backward. I have a OneWheel too and that behaves just like I think it should in all directions. The Segway IS steers backward IMO when in reverse for a weight shift device.
dditzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
flickroll
flickroll is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
The control bar directs the nose of the MiniPro not the tail. The big Segways do the same. It is speculated that it is part of what caused the fatal accident of the owner of the company. Furthermore, Ellen fell off of hers by trying to turn while moving in reverse.

Do not try to turn while backing as the instructions clearly say. It is better to do a quick 180 in place and head forward instead of backing a long distance. And have fun counting how many Segway riders in youtube videos fall off due to turning while backing.
^^This. Trying to go in reverse is a sure fire way to end up on the ground.
flickroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:47 AM   #9
Jnfsu
Jnfsu is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Yup, turning while going backwards can be very dangerous. If you turn too quickly going forward, there's a good chance you can just step off if you lose your balance, but it's hard to "step off" and not fall going backwards. I'm having a very hard time finding people who are willing to learn to ride because nearly everyone thinks, and usually says, "I'd bust my *** on that thing." When I'm teaching someone to ride, I emphasize two, related primary rules: 1) Don't push on the knee bar unless you intend to turn, and 2) DON'T TURN WHILE BACKING UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I taught a friend to ride and we were having a blast until he fell twice and sprained both wrists. Now he won't ride at all. Guess what he did both times that made him fall?
Jnfsu is offline   Reply With Quote