SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #101
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojflewis View Post
Thanks for the info. Perhaps we should organise a bit of a publicity blitz when we go through 1000 signatures on the petition? What is the security trial at Heathrow? I've heard it mentioned a couple of times but found no public info. That would make a nice media story.
Oliver, the Heathrow trial is not intended as a publicity vehicle, rather, to quietly allow several differing levels of assessment. It has been organised officially with a lot of input from Segway UK and Inc.

Segway UK and Inc are spending a lot of money and time lobbying MP's etc. Indeed, about two weeks ago a team spent, I believe, most of the day at the Houses of Parliament working with, talking to and offering rides to MP's and members of the transport committee. I am also in discussions with a Parliamentry Candidate who wants to push the legislation issue.
So although there may not be much in writting, I can assure you there's loads going on behind the scenes, with input and assistance from people like Isidore, even though he does not talk about it!

Re the petition, it was discussed that once we had enough signatures we glide along Downing St and hand in the petition. One small problem. To glide in Downing St we need Police permission, and the Police would then be seen to be allowing the law to be broken etc etc. It may still happen, who knows.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #102
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

We should loan some Segways to the "Fathers for justice" campaign!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #103
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
We should loan some Segways to the "Fathers for justice" campaign!
Sorry, I don't do "loan", however, I do "rent" or "hire" or better still, BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #104
IanH
IanH is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I can't find any reference to the government's own web site in this thread, but the
best way to raise a petition is via petitions.pm.gov.uk
IanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #105
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
I can't find any reference to the government's own web site in this thread, but the
best way to raise a petition is via petitions.pm.gov.uk
Hi Ian

The Government's website is a great way to start a petition - but not the only way. When I set this one up, the Government's website, as above, was not in existance. Rather than wait for them to make something available to the public, I made something myself. And what I have created is equally as valid.

And as far as google results go, I'm happy that the petition site appears in the top list when anyone searches for Segway on google.co.uk. In fact, some days it's number two in the list (after Segway UK).

If I was starting a new one today, I would definitely use the Government's site. You've heard the expression, the early bird catches the worm? Well unfortunately, sometimes the early worm gets eaten by the bird!

Anyway, that aside, this week, we have toppled over the 1000 signatures mark. A small milestone me thinks. And the comments have been excellent, some inspiring even. And I love the little DHTML menu I've added!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #106
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

and don't forget to pester your own MP to sign in support of this Early Day Motion.

You can find out whp you MP is and email him with you request (be polite - it helps ) by putting your postcode in on this page.

Last edited by CovRob; 08-01-2008 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: added link to identify own MP
CovRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #107
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I'd also encourage UKers to contact their MP about the EDM. The petition site also has post code MP finder which does a similar thing to Rob's link (all the handy info in one place)!

I'm posting to just note that a serving police officer has just made an interesting comment, http://www.legalisesegways.co.uk/comments.asp, along with all the other hundreds of comments.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #108
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up For info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidore View Post
As you probably know, I have been quite involved as a sort of 'expert witness' in helping Segway's campaign in the UK. We recently had a relatively positive meeting with the Minister of State for Transport and while clearly if the Seg went 20 mph we would be into a different mind set, the issues around the Seg were not about whether it went 12 or 14 mph- if it does become legal in the UK, it's going to be as a sort of electric bicycle for use on the road or on cycle paths. So long as you are not screaming past the cyclists, who typically go at about 14 mph, a small increase in speed won't alter the argument. If you went faster then them, then that would be a real can of worms... Pavement use is not going to happen, there are enough problems with "Hell's Grannies' on mobility scooters knocking over pedestrians without anyone allowing something that goes twice as fast, even though we all know how safe a Seg is. On the current issue of legality, I am reliably advised that CPS (criminal prosecution service) will not support an action against a Segway being used on the road, they are just not confident they would win. The result is that if you behave as a law abiding cyclist, the Police won't stop you, or even if they do, they won't get permission to prosecute. The UK importer is even threatening the Ministry with organising to have himself prosecuted to show that Segways are not illegal. While the probable next government is likely more positive, even the current minister is not against, it's the civil servants who like all civil servants everywhere are dedicated to a quiet life- Say No and the decision can't come back and bite you.....
Brought across as it is useful information others might not find in the RMP thread (thanks to Coaster for the tip off)
Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #109
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Lightbulb Updates

Lots of updates to the letters page made - including a huge amount of info released by the UK government under Freedom of Information.

Letters page.

Also, CovRob has just posted a link to a news article about a public consultation. This is important so I've started a new thread here.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #110
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Hu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidore View Post
How about UKSEG.co.uk? As in Up Seg? Proseg sounds to much like prozac!
Well lets read it.