SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Usage question for experienced users..

I've been invited to make a brief informative video about Segways and their use for disabilities for educating the Missouri Department of Conservation. (Yeah!). It has taken almost six years to finally come into some kind of ADA compliance. The new policies are not yet finalized but I am hopeful and this video might make some difference, so you see why I am concerned about what to include. I would welcome suggestions.

As far as a bit of statistics is concerned:

I believe at one point it was stated that that person knew of no instances in which a Seg user had caused serious injury to another person by running into them (which is a commonly expressed safety concern). Update?

What is the most miles any one has put on a single seg?

Has anyone ever figured out a reasonable estimate of the cost of using a seg (.purchase and maintenance) when the cost is spread over the life of the machine. We've talk about comparing the cost to that of using a cellphone, but this isn't quite the same question...

What would be your single most important bit of advice for using them safely?

More ideas? Does anyone have disability related images or video from which I. Might use fragments? Thanks for any input!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

You have my permision to use any of the photos and or/videos I have sent you for use in your presentation.

I think you can get the details of accidents from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
What would be your single most important bit of advice for using them safely?
Courtesy. Second would be "Common Sense".

I'm not sure that addressing the following fits in your plans, but this has always annoyed me:

RSMO (Missouri Revised Statutes) 307.205...

3. Persons under sixteen years of age shall not operate an electric personal assistive mobility device, except for an operator with a mobility-related disability.

(I don't understand why that makes sense).
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
Courtesy. Second would be "Common Sense".

I'm not sure that addressing the following fits in your plans, but this has always annoyed me:

RSMO (Missouri Revised Statutes) 307.205...

3. Persons under sixteen years of age shall not operate an electric personal assistive mobility device, except for an operator with a mobility-related disability.

(I don't understand why that makes sense).
I believe it is the same principle as an age limited drivers license being needed if driving on public roads. I assume you can use it on your own property....
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
I believe it is the same principle as an age limited drivers license being needed if driving on public roads. I assume you can use it on your own property....
I'm thinking this is probably off-topic, but: "2. An electric personal assistive mobility device may be operated upon a street, highway, sidewalk, and bicycle path. Every person operating such a device shall be granted all of the rights and be subject to all of the duties applicable to a pedestrian pursuant to chapter 304."

Probably OK on your own property, except for the sidewalk on your property.

The reason that I said I don't understand why it makes sense: If it's safe for a 12-year-old with a disability to operate a Segway, then why isn't it safe for a 12-year-old without a disability.

Conversely, if it's not safe for a 15-year-old to operate a Segway, then how does a "mobility-related disability" make it safe?

[My grandchildren have been safely and courteously using Segways, under supervision, since each was substantially under 16]

But that probably doesn't fit your topic. Sorry for the digression.

I now live in Lee's Summit, Missouri. as do my wife, son, daughter, and 3 grandsons. We have 4 Segways (2-XT and 2-X2). If I can help in any way with your project, please let me know.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Perhaps the same reason police can use computers and cell phones while driving, because they have "special training."

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Perhaps the same reason police can use computers and cell phones while driving, because they have "special training."
Of course there is no law requiring legislators, bureaucrats, or any one else, for that Matter, to make logical rules or laws -- or ones that fit any and every situation. Obviously there are some adults who don't have enough of that common sense to be entitled to use one. But we digress....
Old 09-19-2014, 04:07 AM   #8
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Alright, let's not stray off topic.

Anyways, I put approx 25 miles per day on my i2
I use it about 5 days per week.
That means every 7 days, I put on about 175 miles.
My old i2 had about 3k miles on it and wasn't used as often as I use my new one.
I am currently at 600 miles on my current i2 and intend to hit 10k by sometime next year.

I believe I've heard of some people hitting 50k, but I don't know if that's true or not.

I'd assume most folks here have around 10-20k on their machines.
It's hard to tell if it's a gen 1 though.

Best of luck!
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
jrwilcox
jrwilcox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Lilly if you need help please contact me. I live in Prairie Village. My father was actually a lobbyist for ADA in missouri back in the 70's.

"I'd much rather be happy than right any day."
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
jrwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Lily, terryp seems to have the most miles on his machine, so hopefully he will reply to the thread, or you can PM him.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote