SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
dave
dave is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Wildlife picture taken on a Segway

This is a picture I have taken while riding on a Segway with an iPhone. I have previously attempted such pictures while walking in the same area. I have never been able to get as close to the deer before without a Segway. I think that walking makes noises that is more startling to a deer than rolling slowly to the deer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer.jpg (41.5 KB, 53 views)
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I encountered a mother deer with two young ones on the bike trail a week ago, and was surprised that she let me glide to within 6 feet without showing any concern. Maybe we could get a government grant to study the phenomenon.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I live in a small town with a native population of white squirrels and find the same thing. I suspect that we are not quite the shape they have learned to be wary of...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
I live in a small town with a native population of white squirrels and find the same thing. I suspect that we are not quite the shape they have learned to be wary of...
It is not just deer and white squirrels. When I glide in on several humans, they are befuddled by my approach as well. (Unlike deer, when they finally decide they don't understand what is coming toward them and bolt, humans usually react by saying something odd)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
DaiPlusPlus
DaiPlusPlus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Yup. Our corporate campus has a surprising number of rabbits (and coyotes) living in the grounds. I've never gotten close to the coyotes, and the rabbits always dart-off before you can get close, except a couple of nights ago when I was riding at night (though it the pathway was well illuminated) - there was a rabbit on the sidewalk and it froze, it didn't dart away until I got close - but then it darted towards me while I was coming towards it at-speed and hit its head on the undercarriage of my Segway - I heard a loud thump, I immediately stopped but it had run-off. I didn't see any blood or anything, so I hope and assume it was okay, just shocked.

The i2-SE features front and rear running lights, so surely that would have caused the rabbit to run away - I don't know why it came towards me.
DaiPlusPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #6
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
My particular experience with a local herd of deer is actually a bit different. When I go for a glide in the neighborhood, the deer munching in people's yards take off at quite a distance. If I see them via car on a bike, they basically ignore me and stay put. I guess these deer haven't learned yet that the segway glider is benign (I am the only segger). Its interesting to see the difference in behavior.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote