SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #31
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

The smaller, harmless looking profile of the Winglet will help it in being accepted into ultra-dense urban environments. How is size an advantage over the current incarnation of the Segway?

The i2's wheels freak a lot of people out. They don't see the rider on top, they fixate on the "HUGE" looking wheels on either side, and assume that it must be highly dangerous to others. Think of it this way: If skateboards had wheels as large (or even half as large) as the i2, they would be far less tolerated on sidewalks then they are at present. So, no huge social upswell of support for Segways, cause they appear scary to the ignorant masses in close quarters.

But the small size of the Winglet, is key to winning political and social acceptance of this particular device. Clearly, the end goal is to sell faster, more capable machines, so this baby-step paves the way for the appreciation and understanding of such mobility devices in their culture. It's a very well thought out plan, if you think more long term.

In the near-future, the ability to quick charge the device when it's parked, coupled with advances in small scale energy-dense storage, will allow the Winglet far more capabilities then you're seeing now. Autonomous motion was one example mentioned as a future feature; to pick riders up. Remember the range of the original Segway? It wasn't very impressive, or thought to be terribly useful to anyone... It was deemed an overpriced toy, basically. But that's changed quite a bit in a rather short time.

Don't underestimate the long-term plans Toyota has for their device...

SEGsby

Last edited by SEGsby; 08-02-2008 at 03:21 PM..
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #32
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
The smaller, harmless looking profile of the Winglet will help it in being accepted into ultra-dense urban environments. How is size an advantage over the current incarnation of the Segway?

The i2's wheels freak a lot of people out. They don't see the rider on top, they fixate on the "HUGE" looking wheels on either side, and assume that it must be highly dangerous to others. Think of it this way: If skateboards had wheels as large (or even half as large) as the i2, they would be far less tolerated on sidewalks then they are at present. So, no huge social upswell of support for Segways, cause they appear scary to the ignorant masses in close quarters.

But the small size of the Winglet, is key to winning political and social acceptance of this particular device. Clearly, the end goal is to sell faster, more capable machines, so this baby-step paves the way for the appreciation and understanding of such mobility devices in their culture. It's a very well thought out plan, if you think more long term.

In the near-future, the ability to quick charge the device when it's parked, coupled with advances in small scale energy-dense storage, will allow the Winglet far more capabilities then you're seeing now. Autonomous motion was one example mentioned as a future feature; to pick riders up. Remember the range of the original Segway? It wasn't very impressive, or thought to be terribly useful to anyone... It was deemed an overpriced toy, basically. But that's changed quite a bit in a rather short time.

Don't underestimate the long-term plans Toyota has for their device...

SEGsby
You do have a point about the size of the Winglet, when I first saw an i series in person, it did seem pretty big...before seeing one in person, I thought the i series were about the size of a p133. Personally, the size of my segway doesn't bother me because it reminds me that I'm harnessing the power of technology to convey me from place to place. Even after 300+ miles, I still get a rush when traversing obstacles that I know I would be incapable of traversing on my walker or staffs.
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #33
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryT View Post
They did not appear nearly as stable to me, particularly with the smaller wheels and tight turns. I wonder if they have an off road model?
I tend to think that if you were to take one on the road, it would soon become an 'off road' model.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #34
philippeseg
philippeseg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

more pictures and video on "Segway in Paris" http://www.segway-in-paris.com/article-21674908.html
Old 08-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #35
aviators99
aviators99 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Of course I'm getting e-mail from everyone I know, with a link to a Toyota article. They are doing a good PR job.
aviators99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #36
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

OK they are starting to look cooler but they wouldn't be for the masses, at least here in the states. I would much rather have a Segway.
I was looking at the videos in Segway in Paris link above and did notice in the first video of the three, which I hadn't seen yet, showed me something that I have wished Segway could have done with theirs. If you go to the 44 second mark and watch carefully you will see what I'm talking about. The platform tilts as you turn, but am not sure the wheels don't to. This is one improvement that the Segway could use. Anyone agree?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #37
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Yes and no.

It does seem like it would be quite a nifty feature and "feel good", too, but to accomplish this would take a lot more parts and programming which would add up to more cost and less reliability.

All in all, I don't think it would be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetmanKen View Post
OK they are starting to look cooler but they wouldn't be for the masses, at least here in the states. I would much rather have a Segway.
I was looking at the videos in Segway in Paris link above and did notice in the first video of the three, which I hadn't seen yet, showed me something that I have wished Segway could have done with theirs. If you go to the 44 second mark and watch carefully you will see what I'm talking about. The platform tilts as you turn, but am not sure the wheels don't to. This is one improvement that the Segway could use. Anyone agree?

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #38
budsiskos
budsiskos is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippeseg View Post

more pictures and video on "Segway in Paris" http://www.segway-in-paris.com/article-21674908.html
wow that babble fish program really butchers english
budsiskos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #39
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

The only thing I see that's worthwhile in the winglet, is the bubble sideskirts that cover up the outside of the wheels and would help avoid the nasty falls when a segway newbie brushes up against a wall.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #40
BarryT
BarryT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
I tend to think that if you were to take one on the road, it would soon become an 'off road' model.

Agreed.
BarryT is offline   Reply With Quote