SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway Lock stuck

I just bought a used Segway to replace the one I've used as a mobility device for the last 7 years.

The previous owner died and I bought it from his father who didn't have much information on it. I had sat for a few years plugged in before I bought it. It has 156 miles and seems to run well.

It has a Segway lock attached to the lean steer column release and I can't get the lock to come off. I suspect that since the lock was attached to the column instead of stored in the handlebar bag that the previous owner had the problem also.

The key inserts and easily turns 90 degrees, however the key only can be removed when it is parallel with the cable coming out of the lock. When the key is turned 90 degrees so it is perpendicular to the cable it won't come out of the lock.

The lock won't come loose either way. The amount of play between the lock and the column seems to be the same in both key positions.

I've never seen one of these locks in person so I don't understand what is happening internally . The online manual isn't much help and searching the forums only told me that there are ball bearings that grasp the special pin for the brass column blocks.

I've got the tools to cut it off if necessary but I'd rather get it unlocked.

Any suggestions? At least a detailed explanation of how the lock works so I can try a few things. Specifically which position of the key should be unlocked.

Thanks,

Jeff
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Isn't there a locksmith in greenville?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I suspect a locksmith would get quite a chuckle if you brought him something like that

I would try penetrating oil - I use PB Blaster. Shoot it onto the key hole and any other cracks you can find and let it soak for a couple hours. Then see if it's freed up enough for the key to turn farther and maybe it will unlock

Good luck with it!

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
I suspect a locksmith would get quite a chuckle if you brought him something like that
Alternatives:
1. Good methods like you suggested - oil, hit with a mallet, etc. maybe that will work.
2. Cut it off.
3. Locksmith - probably preserve the lock and its functionality, but maybe giving the locksmith a laugh.

OPMD, please let us know what works.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I got it.

I used a spray carburetor cleaner that had a long tube that would go down into the lock taking care not to splash the cleaner on plastic parts.

I set the Segway on its side to put the lock facing up.

The manual says that you insert the key, turn it clockwise, and pull the lock off. Once off turn the key counter clockwise to remove the key.

First I left the key in and tried tapping on the lock from different angles but nothing happened. Once I used the carb cleaner it took a few tries, but then the key slipped into the lock farther. Now instead of turning 90 degrees it turned 180 degrees clockwise. Voila! A little rattling it around and off it came.

One thing that was confusing to me was that the key would turn. In normal locks if the key isn't in all the way the lock won't turn.

So the key goes in the lock, turns 180 degrees and this releases two small steel ball bearings that sit behind the bulge on the special pin that replaces the screw. You can see a view of the pin in the manual I found online. The key must then be rotated back 180 degrees to the lock position before the key can be removed.

I'll use dry silicon lubricant and then graphite to lubricate the lock internals. If it doesn't work perfectly smooth it's going in the trash can.

Thanks
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
segway lock