SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #31
johnson.mke
johnson.mke is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default just wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post

I do have compassion for, and am sensitive to, the hundreds of people, plus a crew, flying with the one guy who wants to bring a lithium powered OPDMD. Businesses (airlines) are free to not allow OPDMD's where they present a safety hazard. They are free to do this (and free to allow them) according to the DOJ website on the ADA (it might be why airlines have various Segway policies). But no one will mention that part of the ADA.

"So, you can attack me as much as you like for expressing my opinion, but it does not change it," so go bully someone else.
As a person who uses a OPDMD due to being differently abled let me say your whole post is offensive. I travel often to Ragen International safely with my Segway. It has in fact even traveled into Secret Service metal secured area's.

Why is what you post offensive to me? Because without my OPDMD I would not be able to do business as I did before my leg was taken from me.

For the record the airlines always make sure it is safe to fly. They have things they do to ensure the safety.
johnson.mke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #32
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson.mke View Post
As a person who uses a OPDMD due to being differently abled let me say your whole post is offensive. I travel often to Ragen International safely with my Segway. It has in fact even traveled into Secret Service metal secured area's.

Why is what you post offensive to me? Because without my OPDMD I would not be able to do business as I did before my leg was taken from me.

For the record the airlines always make sure it is safe to fly. They have things they do to ensure the safety.
You do realize this could go on all day?

I would care that you were offended if you pointed out that the Segway isn't a hazard like other lithium powered devices like hover boards, unicycles, electric bikes, and golf carts. Any of which can be an OPDMD. I was concerned about how dangerous a device can one have as a OPDMD and make people accept it around their families. Dead family members being a whole other level of disabled (hence my bully comments). Turns out that OPDMD's can be rejected from areas for safety reasons by law.

I would care that you were offended if you pointed out that air lines are free to accept or reject Segways if they find that they are too dangerous to passengers and crew. You are free to select an airline that accepts Segways (or any other OPDMD) and I am free to select airlines that don't, for my family to fly on. Easy for all.

I don't care that you are offended because Segways allow you to do things you otherwise can't. The benefits to you of a 130lbs, 13mph, stand up machine over other more common mobility aids doesn't ethically mean my family (and hundreds of other passengers) should have to face the risk of in flight lithium fires like those that have happened in the past.

ie, based on your offense, a disabled person could show up with a Chinese knockoff Segway filled with LiCoO2 batteries and no battery management software (an obvious fire hazard like the one that killed the 747 crew in Dubai) and still be allowed on the flight because "without my OPDMD, I would not be able to do business as I did before my leg was taken from me." For the record, I initially thought (and the Segway website indicates) all Segways had the same dangers as hoverboards, battery revived/modified Segways, my Segway Mini Pro, and electric unicycles. The previous poster pointed out Valence's website about the safe lithium batteries.

I don't accept the premise if something provides the passenger a benefit (or a huge benefit), the thing is suddenly not dangerous to an aircraft when there has been many fires and a 747 brought down (type of plane I worked on).
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:57 AM   #33
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
You do realize this could go on all day?

I would care that you were offended if you pointed out that the Segway isn't a hazard like other lithium powered devices like hover boards, unicycles, electric bikes, and golf carts. Any of which can be an OPDMD. I was concerned about how dangerous a device can one have as a OPDMD and make people accept it around their families. Dead family members being a whole other level of disabled (hence my bully comments). Turns out that OPDMD's can be rejected from areas for safety reasons by law.

I would care that you were offended if you pointed out that air lines are free to accept or reject Segways if they find that they are too dangerous to passengers and crew. You are free to select an airline that accepts Segways (or any other OPDMD) and I am free to select airlines that don't, for my family to fly on. Easy for all.

I don't care that you are offended because Segways allow you to do things you otherwise can't. The benefits to you of a 130lbs, 13mph, stand up machine over other more common mobility aids doesn't ethically mean my family (and hundreds of other passengers) should have to face the risk of in flight lithium fires like those that have happened in the past.

ie, based on your offense, a disabled person could show up with a Chinese knockoff Segway filled with LiCoO2 batteries and no battery management software (an obvious fire hazard like the one that killed the 747 crew in Dubai) and still be allowed on the flight because "without my OPDMD, I would not be able to do business as I did before my leg was taken from me." For the record, I initially thought (and the Segway website indicates) all Segways had the same dangers as hoverboards, battery revived/modified Segways, my Segway Mini Pro, and electric unicycles. The previous poster pointed out Valence's website about the safe lithium batteries.

I don't accept the premise if something provides the passenger a benefit (or a huge benefit), the thing is suddenly not dangerous to an aircraft when there has been many fires and a 747 brought down (type of plane I worked on).

The US does have an obligation to acommodate people with disabilities where possible. Perhaps the best solution is to simply advertise which airlines will accomodate and which ones wont out of fear of risks posed by any accomodation and let the free market decide whether any inherent risk is offset by the benefits and see where the chips lie. My money is still on the goodness of the American people.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #34
RMullins
RMullins is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post

2. Despite the fact that Segway uses safer technology, the batteries are still considered to be hazardous cargo, and are subject to many restrictions. Do they add some risk to a flight? Almost surely some risk, however slight, but I would feel comfortable traveling with Seg batteries in the cargo, which would NOT be true with any other lithium-ion battery technology. I am not aware of any Segway Gen 1/I2/X2 lithium-ion battery fires, ever.
Here are a few...Segway battery fires. So now you are aware.

I have first hand experience in 3 incidents in the past 2 years. Water ingress played a part in 2, and the other was undetermined.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1584.jpg (148.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1956.jpg (188.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1957.jpg (179.0 KB, 24 views)
RMullins is offline   Reply With Quote