SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Red face My X2SE just saved my life... (sorta)

Well, I just had a near-death experience on my way back from a sale.
The main road up to my house is a highway (77) and subsequently has no sidewalk.

I was gliding full speed up the bike lane and had just looked to my left to maintain visual on a driver who had appeared not to be looking my way.

As I looked back to the bike lane, my body canted severely to the right (towards a large blue Ford Explorer 8" away) and I was headed directly towards him.
My left side had launched 6-8" in the air from a large object that my left tire had hit, the motor was whirring and I could hear the wheel spinning against nothing, underneath me.

I could feel the pain from a crash and likely loss of life that hadn't even occurred yet, and somehow, from heading straight towards the front of a large SUV at 50MPH combined, the chassis dropped back down to the ground, the tire made contact with the porous asphalt, and the PT corrected my direction within a few inches of being a human pancake. All within seconds it had flashed before me, and upon regaining control it had felt as if I had just landed a 747 on a carrier ship.

The SUV 🚙 had swerved out of the way, long overdue, and too late.

I immediately lovingly hugged the LeanSteer frame and thanked my X2 and the engineers for somehow managing to keep me alive, and unscathed.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Has a situation like that twice.....and it all happens so bloody fast!

Did you go buy a lottery ticket right after? LOL!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Has a situation like that twice.....and it all happens so bloody fast!

Did you go buy a lottery ticket right after? LOL!

I was in such a hurry I didn't even have time to think about that.
I probably should tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think it was dumb luck (or you used one of your 9 lives) and not the Seg that 'saved your life'. I can tell you from many years riding motorcycles that if any form of transportation smaller than a car shares the pavement with daily traffic, you're really taking your life in your own hands

On a cycle, you have lights, lots of chrome and bright colors, a horn, mirrors, gobs of acceleration to get you out of tight spots and of course you always wear all the safety equipment you would like to have on when taking a slide up the asphalt . . . . or at least I did. Still, a motorcycle in close company with cars driven by people who don't even see you (because they are unconsciously looking only for other cars or something bigger) is a very dangerous mode of transportation and the rider had better have 110% of his attention on his surroundings, both in front, behind and on either side - Otherwise somebody you didn't see and who didn't see you will most certainly try to run you over and if you're *really* lucky, you'll have some time to reflect on it from your hospital bed . . . . minus some hide and with a broken bone or two most likely

I cannot even imagine riding a Seg in the bike lane with nothing more than a stripe of paint between you and the traffic. No mirrors, no ability to accelerate away from danger, virtually invisible to the person with the cel phone coming up from behind you at 40 mph that you are *hoping* will safely pass you 18" from your left shoulder . . . . and most likely you're wearing little but a bike helmet. One episode like you described would 'cure' me from counting on luck or another one of my remaining 8 lives to keep me alive

I wish you the best of luck and hope you never need it, but I think the odds say otherwise. By all means, go get that lottery ticket!!

Don

Last edited by Don M; 01-24-2017 at 02:05 PM..
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
Tritium

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default My X2SE just saved my life... (sorta)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
I think it was dumb luck (or you used one of your 9 lives) and not the Seg that 'saved your life'. I can tell you from many years riding motorcycles that if any form of transportation smaller than a car shares the pavement with daily traffic, you're really taking your life in your own hands

On a cycle, you have lights, lots of chrome and bright colors, mirrors, gobs of acceleration to get you out of tight spots and of course you always wear all the safety equipment you would like to have on when taking a slide up the asphalt . . . . or at least I did. Still, a motorcycle in close company with cars driven by people who don't even see you (because they are unconsciously looking only for other cars or something bigger) is a very dangerous mode of transportation and the rider had better have 110% of his attention on his surroundings, both in front, behind and on either side - Otherwise somebody you didn't see and who didn't see you will most certainly try to run you over and if you're *really* lucky, you'll have some time to reflect on it from your hospital bed . . . . minus some hide and with a broken bone or two most likely

I cannot even imagine riding a Seg in the bike lane with nothing more than a stripe of paint between you and the traffic. No mirrors, no ability to accelerate away from danger and most likely wearing little but a bike helmet. One episode like you described would 'cure' me from counting on luck or another one of my remaining 8 lives to keep me alive

I wish you the best of luck and hope you never need it, but I think the odds say otherwise

Don

Don, I've had very similar experiences with the Gen 2 and 2.5 PTs in the past.

My life must be full of luck, or I must've mastered the PT, because I can almost guarantee to you, I'd be dead or severely injured/paralysed right now if not.

If I were riding a motor scooter or road bike and hit the obstacle I did, I would have likely been launched off and probably right into traffic.

I guess I've just had spectacularly good luck in the past.

I've been faithfully using only a Segway PT for in town commuting for over 12 years now.
With the drivers here, I should be dead.

Perhaps I should join the Coast Guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
crash, died, riding, saved, segway