SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Thumbs down minipro junk start another forum?

i for one am tired of this minipro stuff and the phoney news clickbait stuff why not start a new section or another forum dedicated to that?
this has been an awesome for us newbies why ruin it?
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
i for one am tired of this minipro stuff and the phoney news clickbait stuff why not start a new section or another forum dedicated to that?
this has been an awesome for us newbies why ruin it?
I think your thread title "minipro junk...." seems insulting. But it's also not in the correct forum - it should be in Community Feedback and Support http://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9

This subforum is labeled "General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots.", and seems to work fine.

Last edited by dale@thecoys.net; 12-18-2016 at 06:27 PM..
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

That^

The Minipro, along with the other Ninebot PTs are Segway products and belong in this forum.

As much as some of us may not welcome the merge with open arms, it is bringing Segway the attention it deserved, and by displaying activity on this forum, it will bring more people here to discuss.

If somehow, a large influx of members join, and the forums begin to get truly overrun by posts for various different Segway/Ninebot products, I'm sure action will be taken, but it just doesn't look like that'll happen any time soon.

Last edited by Tritium; 12-19-2016 at 10:48 AM..
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
therealzam
therealzam is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I'm excited to welcome the traffic of users and enthusiasts of the new NineBot devices wearing the Segway brand. I mean we finally have devices in this category that regular people can afford. Not just the tiny majority of us who work with them, need them, and / or can afford to spend more than half the price of a cheap new car for a scooter with very limited practical use scenarios. The new models are size and price competitive to electric scooters, electric bikes, electric skate boards and even those dreaded 'hover boards' that exploded during the 2015 holiday season, in more ways than one.

While I welcome the new products, I do have some suggestions and warnings:

1: 'Segway' now refers to a diverse family of products on 1-3 wheels. Consequently, I think we should offer product specific discussions. That way, the users of the rock solid but aging i/x series devices, the small and inexpensive MiniPro, the daring one-wheeled S1, the E series that may FINALLY arrive in the US soon, older models, and even the other devices can have a space for device-specific issues.
2: On the same thought as #1, consider either renaming or forking the 'general discussion' forum into the forum for i/x devices.
3: I do think that this forum is for real Segway and NineBot devices. Even with this in mind, discussions of new innovations in personal transportation, and even the third-party devices have their place here. Even when not connected to Segway at all. Even beyond the general 'Science and Technology' standpoint. Giving them their own space will actually help reduce the spread of these topics on Segway Specific forums.
4: Look, people are dumb and sadly most don't realize that reasonably high-quality and safe self-balancing scooters, cheap (but not explosive) 'hover boards', and dangerously explosive illegal imports ARE NOT SEGWAYS. If we are device specific people will look at the devices they own and realize that they aren't one of the models Segway makes and keep that discussion in the 'non Segway' section. If they're shopping for a new device, they may look at the model they are considering and realize that it's not actually a Segway AND BUY A REAL SEGWAY.
5: Remember, the more users who buy actual SEGWAYS, the more people will know the difference. They'll realize that they're buying the Mercedes (NineBot), or even the Rolls Royce (i/x) of the category. They'll skip the Isuzu (Swagway, etc.) and the definitely pass over the unsettling Tatas and Cherries (shady clones). The better Segway and NineBot do, the better devices we'll get. Hell, the technophobia that has plagued us from day 1 may FINALLY die down.
6: Even those who buy the electronically sage clones will improve life for us. Again, more people using the device category will improve social acceptance. Hell we'll even get extra respect for using REAL SEGWAYS and especially those insanely expensive traditional devices for which we've been derided and discriminated against since day one.
7: Bringing more people here will also raise awarness of the existence and struggles of the most threatened (and in my own self-service opinion) important niche of our community, the disabled user.
8: I'd actually consider expanding this forum to include several sections such as: Segway Mods (works in progress, products to buy, and Ideas), Places that accept us, The list of shame (our experiences of being harassed or denied access by venues, and our progress, or lack their of, in dealing with them), and an other (the current forum). The categories will give us a specific place to find accommodating places, collaborate on improving access, and generally make our lives easier. A final added bonus: having a whole section for disabled users will further raise awareness of our struggles.
9: Outside of changes to the forum structure, I think this site is overdue for an update. Segway is changing, the makeup of our community is getting younger and larger, etc. Yet, this site looks the same as it did the first time I visited. If we don't update, we will no longer be THE forum for discussions of all things Seg.
10: I don't know how this site is paid for, but more traffic will increase costs. This site is not monetized in anyway. I've never seen ads on this site and it's the ONLY forum of its kind that I regularly visit that doesn't have any. To our humble webmaster, I suggest the addition of reasonable intrusive advertisements. You could use the revenue to pay for the site, get some compensation for your work and even support those groups who help our community, like DRAFT / Segs4Vets.
11: Speaking of those charitable groups. I'd also suggest fixed, rotating, banners that hilight these organizations.

In conclusion, this humble little forum is in a unique position to control the discussion and positively impact the lives of those of us who have been on here for years, the Segway / NineBot company as a whole, understanding for Segway users new and old, the positive growth of the greater Self-Balancing scooter community, and even rewrite the narrative of public acceptance for us all. If we don't act now, someone else WILL step in.

PS: If the powers that be here want help, let me know. I have absolutely no qualms in helping out. Please DM me. These devices ARE basically my legs at this point, have enabled me to do many of the activities I love in spite of my continuously declining mobility, and have literally changed my life. It has been my pleasure to contribute to the discussion here and especially to help

A little bit about me:
I've owned Segway products since the beginning and have used every product from the originals, to the i2, to the i2 SE. Currently, I have an i2 SE, x2 tires, and a MiniPro. As a disabled user who has grown increasingly dependant on my devices for normal mobility and easily spends 40+hrs a week rolling around town, working, doctoring(?), drinking, and or dancing on one. Consequently, I've probably spent more time on one than most dealers (I spend most of my time wobbling in place, going nowhere, or moving slowly, so my lifetime milage is 10k on the high side). I also experience the challenges that face Segway users (and especially the disabled ones). I'm a gay, disabled guy, bathed in gadgets, and nearly 7ft tall while on my i2 SE with a bike-like steering system and cupholder cane mounted to my seating assembly.

I don't look like a disabled person. I started my Segway journey at the end of my teens or early 20s (I'm currently 34). I'm in very good shape above my knees and my ankle braces are not only invisible, but also hide my lack of calves when hidden under pants. I dress pretty well and look like I've got my sh** together. When on my Segway the only outward signs of my mobility are the cane mounted to the front of my it, my wobbling motion when standing still, and the somewhat visible signs of the pain I'm always in. My disability is only obvious when I have to limp around on my cane or use my walker in places like the gym and the residences of others. I also try to keep a smile on my face and love to mingle and especially dance (on my Seg). Let me tell you, harassment and accusations of not being 'disabled enough' are a part of my daily life.

Let's face it, the Segway hasnt changed in any real way since the i2, beyond the steadily increasing price tag. The changes in the SE, while welcome, are pretty insignificant. Lights, a simpler rod mounting system and easily interchangeable I/x tires after nearly a decade were pretty dissipointing. I mean come on, they couldn't give us a smartphone app, or at least a smaller version of the smart key with a clock that either works or can be turned off? In reality, the new models just reduced manufacturing complexity and cost.

I've followed the NineBot purchase with hope that they could make some improvements to this device which hasn't received a major refresh in a decade. I've also been hoping that they could improve the generally negative public perception of the devices and the broader self-balancing scooter market which has been plagued with bad press from day one. They've pretty much delivered on their end. They've got a long way to go, but they're definitely getting there.

In many ways I've got to say that the MiniPro has been liberating. At 26lbs, it's perfect for rolling errands that require the use of my car. It even weighs less than my rollator. Yes, it's not nearly as stable as my 'i/x', but it's more stable than the aforementioned rollator and canes. As a result I am still often need my cane with the device for extra support. That's fine for shopping, medical visits, and other spaces with low-medium density spaces, especially since I don't have a place to mount my cane to the device. If the cane is already in my hand, I might as well use it.
therealzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #5
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealzam View Post
I'm excited to welcome the traffic of users and enthusiasts of the new NineBot devices wearing the Segway brand. I mean we finally have devices in this category that regular people can afford. Not just the tiny majority of us who work with them, need them, and / or can afford to spend more than half the price of a cheap new car for a scooter with very limited practical use scenarios. The new models are size and price competitive to electric scooters, electric bikes, electric skate boards and even those dreaded 'hover boards' that exploded during the 2015 holiday season, in more ways than one.

While I welcome the new products, I do have some suggestions and warnings:

1: 'Segway' now refers to a diverse family of products on 1-3 wheels. Consequently, I think we should offer product specific discussions. That way, the users of the rock solid but aging i/x series devices, the small and inexpensive MiniPro, the daring one-wheeled S1, the E series that may FINALLY arrive in the US soon, older models, and even the other devices can have a space for device-specific issues.
2: On the same thought as #1, consider either renaming or forking the 'general discussion' forum into the forum for i/x devices.
3: I do think that this forum is for real Segway and NineBot devices. Even with this in mind, discussions of new innovations in personal transportation, and even the third-party devices have their place here. Even when not connected to Segway at all. Even beyond the general 'Science and Technology' standpoint. Giving them their own space will actually help reduce the spread of these topics on Segway Specific forums.
4: Look, people are dumb and sadly most don't realize that reasonably high-quality and safe self-balancing scooters, cheap (but not explosive) 'hover boards', and dangerously explosive illegal imports ARE NOT SEGWAYS. If we are device specific people will look at the devices they own and realize that they aren't one of the models Segway makes and keep that discussion in the 'non Segway' section. If they're shopping for a new device, they may look at the model they are considering and realize that it's not actually a Segway AND BUY A REAL SEGWAY.
5: Remember, the more users who buy actual SEGWAYS, the more people will know the difference. They'll realize that they're buying the Mercedes (NineBot), or even the Rolls Royce (i/x) of the category. They'll skip the Isuzu (Swagway, etc.) and the definitely pass over the unsettling Tatas and Cherries (shady clones). The better Segway and NineBot do, the better devices we'll get. Hell, the technophobia that has plagued us from day 1 may FINALLY die down.
6: Even those who buy the electronically sage clones will improve life for us. Again, more people using the device category will improve social acceptance. Hell we'll even get extra respect for using REAL SEGWAYS and especially those insanely expensive traditional devices for which we've been derided and discriminated against since day one.
7: Bringing more people here will also raise awarness of the existence and struggles of the most threatened (and in my own self-service opinion) important niche of our community, the disabled user.
8: I'd actually consider expanding this forum to include several sections such as: Segway Mods (works in progress, products to buy, and Ideas), Places that accept us, The list of shame (our experiences of being harassed or denied access by venues, and our progress, or lack their of, in dealing with them), and an other (the current forum). The categories will give us a specific place to find accommodating places, collaborate on improving access, and generally make our lives easier. A final added bonus: having a whole section for disabled users will further raise awareness of our struggles.
9: Outside of changes to the forum structure, I think this site is overdue for an update. Segway is changing, the makeup of our community is getting younger and larger, etc. Yet, this site looks the same as it did the first time I visited. If we don't update, we will no longer be THE forum for discussions of all things Seg.
10: I don't know how this site is paid for, but more traffic will increase costs. This site is not monetized in anyway. I've never seen ads on this site and it's the ONLY forum of its kind that I regularly visit that doesn't have any. To our humble webmaster, I suggest the addition of reasonable intrusive advertisements. You could use the revenue to pay for the site, get some compensation for your work and even support those groups who help our community, like DRAFT / Segs4Vets.
11: Speaking of those charitable groups. I'd also suggest fixed, rotating, banners that hilight these organizations.

In conclusion, this humble little forum is in a unique position to control the discussion and positively impact the lives of those of us who have been on here for years, the Segway / NineBot company as a whole, understanding for Segway users new and old, the positive growth of the greater Self-Balancing scooter community, and even rewrite the narrative of public acceptance for us all. If we don't act now, someone else WILL step in.

PS: If the powers that be here want help, let me know. I have absolutely no qualms in helping out. Please DM me. These devices ARE basically my legs at this point, have enabled me to do many of the activities I love in spite of my continuously declining mobility, and have literally changed my life. It has been my pleasure to contribute to the discussion here and especially to help

A little bit about me:
I've owned Segway products since the beginning and have used every product from the originals, to the i2, to the i2 SE. Currently, I have an i2 SE, x2 tires, and a MiniPro. As a disabled user who has grown increasingly dependant on my devices for normal mobility and easily spends 40+hrs a week rolling around town, working, doctoring(?), drinking, and or dancing on one. Consequently, I've probably spent more time on one than most dealers (I spend most of my time wobbling in place, going nowhere, or moving slowly, so my lifetime milage is 10k on the high side). I also experience the challenges that face Segway users (and especially the disabled ones). I'm a gay, disabled guy, bathed in gadgets, and nearly 7ft tall while on my i2 SE with a bike-like steering system and cupholder cane mounted to my seating assembly.

I don't look like a disabled person. I started my Segway journey at the end of my teens or early 20s (I'm currently 34). I'm in very good shape above my knees and my ankle braces are not only invisible, but also hide my lack of calves when hidden under pants. I dress pretty well and look like I've got my sh** together. When on my Segway the only outward signs of my mobility are the cane mounted to the front of my it, my wobbling motion when standing still, and the somewhat visible signs of the pain I'm always in. My disability is only obvious when I have to limp around on my cane or use my walker in places like the gym and the residences of others. I also try to keep a smile on my face and love to mingle and especially dance (on my Seg). Let me tell you, harassment and accusations of not being 'disabled enough' are a part of my daily life.

Let's face it, the Segway hasnt changed in any real way since the i2, beyond the steadily increasing price tag. The changes in the SE, while welcome, are pretty insignificant. Lights, a simpler rod mounting system and easily interchangeable I/x tires after nearly a decade were pretty dissipointing. I mean come on, they couldn't give us a smartphone app, or at least a smaller version of the smart key with a clock that either works or can be turned off? In reality, the new models just reduced manufacturing complexity and cost.

I've followed the NineBot purchase with hope that they could make some improvements to this device which hasn't received a major refresh in a decade. I've also been hoping that they could improve the generally negative public perception of the devices and the broader self-balancing scooter market which has been plagued with bad press from day one. They've pretty much delivered on their end. They've got a long way to go, but they're definitely getting there.

In many ways I've got to say that the MiniPro has been liberating. At 26lbs, it's perfect for rolling errands that require the use of my car. It even weighs less than my rollator. Yes, it's not nearly as stable as my 'i/x', but it's more stable than the aforementioned rollator and canes. As a result I am still often need my cane with the device for extra support. That's fine for shopping, medical visits, and other spaces with low-medium density spaces, especially since I don't have a place to mount my cane to the device. If the cane is already in my hand, I might as well use it.

That was a fantastic read! I also use a Segway for mobility (currently have an i2, i2-to-x2 conversion, and a MiniPro). I hope that the MiniPro and other post-merger, Segway-branded products will help the company to gain a bit more traction. It would be great if, in the future, the i2 and x2 returned to their no-corners-cut form in terms of design and construction (IMO, i2>i2SE).

I'm surprised that there isn't more chatter on here about the MiniPro. Sure, it doesn't handle nearly as well as an i2, but it's also 1/10th of the price and less than 1/3 the weight. Dollar for dollar, I think the MP is a much better value. I love how quiet it is and the fact that I can load it into the back of my car with one hand.

I don't think the MiniPro posts are clogging up this already-quiet forum. I'm used to seeing other forums where posts will make it off the front page in 30 minutes or less. This one has tumbleweeds blowing through it. Seems like there was far more action in the forum back in 2003/2004. Maybe the small influx of new owners will relight that fire!
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

One word: Amen
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:25 AM   #7
infinitronics
infinitronics is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I also welcome the new miniPRO users to the forum.

I just added one to my i2 and X2, and it is a great value for what it is.

I've let countless friends and coworkers try it out and they love it. When I tell them that it is made by Segway, they already assume it must be expensive.

But, when I tell them it's now on sale for only $599 they are seriously considering getting one.

I think this is great for Segway. Now, as long as these miniPROs hold up and parts are made available, I believe they will catch on.

-i
infinitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The community is small and quiet and we're okay with that. The new product lines have breathed some new life into our small community, and we're okay with that too. But not so much life that we can go and create a whole bunch of new forums or what-not.

Embrace the activity and enjoy people's interest and enthusiasm for these products. As they are all alternative forms of transportation, they hopefully all go to help the environment in some small way...

John
Old 12-24-2016, 04:40 AM   #9
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitronics View Post
But, when I tell them it's now on sale for only $599 they are seriously considering getting one.

I think this is great for Segway. Now, as long as these miniPROs hold up and parts are made available, I believe they will catch on.

-i
Some parts are available on Amazon. Spare tires, new fenders, and the lock clip for the steering bar are on the website. Seems a lot of couples buy one to check out and then buy another (for the spouse) the next time Amazon has a sale. Having it come in white or black is nice when the wife owns one and the husband owns one.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #10
Nemo Crownie
Nemo Crownie is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thank you, therealzam! We are nearly new owners of 2 minis. We have enjoyed a number of Segway tours in different areas and think they are great and would love one but where and how we live would make a regular Segway impractical. We realize a mini is not a "real" Segway but the weight, easy transport and price were hard to beat. We have been on a couple of extended rides and have had a blast with them. I was excited to find this forum on Tapatalk and look forward to reading hints and reading about other's experiences. Your comments made me feel welcome on this forum. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Nemo Crownie is offline   Reply With Quote