SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
segrick-ATL
segrick-ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Smile i2 that flies with lithium batteries - rules change

After reading the comments about lithium batteries and the rules that keep them off passenger aircraft for the last several years... but good news-
The rulesde have changed for carrying g2 Segways (lithium) on passenger aircraft. Whatever your perspective - about time, who would a thought or just holy cow, its great news. The latest july 2014 rules change from the DOTs PHMSA removes the size or lithium content limits and watthour limits for wheelchairs or other mobility aids. Specifics are in 49cfr 175.10 and 173. Again - mobility aids, in keeping with the ACAA rules. Each airline will need to change support documents for their staff and work on communicating the guidelines to passengers when the time comes. This is an important step - the timing was right. I was able to take my i2 to HNL for my vacation on Delta. They have made the document changes and are taking these steps toward being a logical choice for passengers with disabilities. I used a protected bag from Airshells.com sized for a rigid chair and took the handlebars off but LSF attached to base. The Segway arrived in good condition...as expected. Here's to a new travelling freedom if you follow the rules!