SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:36 AM   #1
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default I2 hitching and a Segway built for two

Hello all. I've been a member of the forum for a while and an avid reader but I think that this is my first post. I thought I'd share some amusing videos of a custom hitch for my I2.

This is pulling a lightweight trailer:

And this is pulling a "Velke" mower attachment -- like you see being used by professional landscaping companies:

Cheers,

-Bob
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I loved both videos... I like the trailer in the first one, but am more impressed with that round little road that goes no place... Very cool. Most roads I know attach to another road...LOL.

On that 2nd one, it looks to be a great and flexible way to add a passenger but not have a huge rickshaw... I just wonder with the small wheel how much of a bump it could take without throwing the passenger... Still, I believe it has a tremendous potential...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
JimNPHX
JimNPHX is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Cool videos!

Just out of curiosity . . . I noticed there are many "options" to pull behind a segway. From trailers to people carriers.

What is the battery life and weight limits when pulling something?

Thanks

Jim
JimNPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNPHX View Post
Too many variables;

Rolling resistance
Wind resistance
Weight
Grade

I'm sure Polo will chime in here shortly, but there simply can't be a simple answer other than, "less than if you didn't."
Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNPHX View Post
Cool videos!

Just out of curiosity . . . I noticed there are many "options" to pull behind a segway. From trailers to people carriers.

Thanks

Jim
Jim, we've pulled more then 300KG (including the glider) with our i2 and trailer system.

Can't tell you battery life as we never measured it but I'd presume it would be much shorter.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
JimNPHX
JimNPHX is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks for the replies . . .
I see they have the "rickshaw" pulled by bicycles and I saw that they make them for Segways too. Just wondering how many batteries one would need to do an evening worth of business. ((10) 2 person rides ???)
I realize weight and distance is a factor at the same time I could only guess on both.

Thanks

Jim
JimNPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

We pulled our SegShuttle (aka rickshaw for a Segway) for more than 10 minutes with the total of 300KG and we still had full battery (nothing flashing).

I'd have to do more tests to be able to accurately answer your question.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

I have not done distance tests either, but I do recall a day that I did many errands, and at least 2 miles had this trailer with about 100 to 150 pounds of lumber on it, and at least 2 miles more with over 200 pounds of construction debris on it. That day in total I used the seg for over 12 miles. I do not recall being particularly low on juice, I just finished my projects...

(This picture was not the day with all the weight that was described...)

I also use a 4 wheel trailer for heavy loads, as I find it holds the weight better with less shift to the back of the platform. The tongue weight on a rig like this is about constant, even uphill or down. Fast stops do push the seg, but not necessarily up or down, mostly forward...

I have many different trailers, and this one I used with my 70 pound son and 35 pound daughter, one on the trailer, one on the platform with me, and we easily do a 6 or 8 mile round trip with no appreciable excess use of energy that I would not see if alone. I should point out that with a trailer, I do go slower, and that speed seems to eat more power than weight does, at least for me.

So, I would guess that slow rides would get you far more time than fast ones, regardless of all else. Some of the more technical among us may weigh in here, regarding the consumption of power, regarding speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Some of the more technical among us may weigh in here, regarding the consumption of power, regarding speed.
Rolling resistance is more or less linear with speed. (Double the speed, double the resistance.)
Wind resistance increases at a rate the square of the speed increase. (Double the speed, quadruple the resistance.)
F=MA (Double the mass, double the energy required to accelerate and stop.)
HP=33,000ft lbs / minute (Double the weight and you'll need double the HP to go up the same hill at the same rate.)

Just off the top of my head, I would expect that if you doubled the weight by towing, you'd get roughly 3/4 the distance if you were on smooth and level all OTHER things being equal. Going up hill; probably a bit less than half. The key to this whole thing would be knowing how much weight he's talking about.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
KSagal

I do not doubt your numbers regarding rolling resistance or the wind resistance, but is that all there is to it?

I believe that there is a cost in going faster, and that cost is very much measureable. At segfest in Florida, I recall a chart that gave distances based on average speed.

I seem to recall that doubling the speed gave less than half the distance, as if it was clearly non linear... (This may be because of the wind resistance...)

I do recall that the available distance to glide for a 180 pound person was in excess of 20 miles, on NiMH batteries. (If the average speed was 2 mph...)