SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Segway as a mobility aide in San Francisco

My doctor is trying to set up a consultation for me with a surgeon in San Francisco. I have severe COPD and use my Segway as a mobility aide. I'm hoping not to have any trouble using my Segway in and around SF while I am there. Can any of you share some of your experiences with Segway use in SF? And what about the Golden Gate Bridge? I think I'd enjoy gliding from one end to the other and back.

Thanks,

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
My doctor is trying to set up a consultation for me with a surgeon in San Francisco. I have severe COPD and use my Segway as a mobility aide. I'm hoping not to have any trouble using my Segway in and around SF while I am there. Can any of you share some of your experiences with Segway use in SF? And what about the Golden Gate Bridge? I think I'd enjoy gliding from one end to the other and back.

Thanks,

Jim
I used to be in the city on my Segway 4 days a week, mostly in the financial district.

I've only been stopped by a cop once, and he was amenable to a bit of education. This was near where the tours operate, so that probably had something to do with it. Non-handicapped riders aren't supposed to use the sidewalks in San Francisco and Mountain View. Pretty much everywhere else, you're doubly-OK for the sidewalk.

The only other place in the city I've had a problem is the CA Academy of Science, and guards at one random office building.

What I've heard about the Golden Gate bridge and Segways is not good, but I've never put it to the test. My wife used to bike to work across it. I would certainly enjoy a glide across myself!

You should be able to use it on the ferries, at least the ones operated by the Golden Gate Bridge District. Bart and Caltrain require a permit, or did last I checked. I the BART version of that permit. Caltrain personnel haven't always been with the program, but the policy is in place -- I was the test subject.

The Muni busses aren't equipped, nor are the muni streetcars, and you're not allowed on basically anything Muni. As near as I can tell, we're not missing much. Not riding the streetcars during busy times came as a relief.

I've encountered others with disabilities on the sidewalks of San Francisco a couple of times.

You should be aware, however, that San Francisco is a strange place. They BANNED Segways from the sidewalks twice -- for silly reasons. They don't understand physics, so they assume that Segways will roll out of control down the hills. And they have a strange breed of "activists" who may try to protect the world from you -- perhaps afraid that blind people may run you down because they can't see you, or that you might run over a sleeping homeless person.

I am not joking, and neither are they.

I've also had a random psycho take an unhealthy interest in me and my Segway. I'm not sure of his intentions, as I don't have eyes in the back of my head nor rear-view mirrors, but in the end, no physical contact was made, and I was very glad of my Segway-aided speed and agility.

There was also a bunch of Segway-hostile bicyclists discussing innovative ways to trap and destroy Segway riders a while back. I was once harassed by a bicycle messenger. A couple days later, one of his cohorts actually came up to me and apologized. Again, a matter of obnoxious minorities.

I've also had bystanders intervene and support my assertions of legitimacy. Usually that happens in Marin, but it's happened in the city as well.

The one thing you can be sure of is you'll encounter a lot of people. The vast majority will be nice.

On the whole, though, despite a certain up-tight element, your usual reaction will be to be ignored, followed closely by the frankly curious, and the enthusiastically supportive.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks Bob. I used to live in the Bay Area - back in the early 80s - and spent considerable time in The City. I enjoyed it. One of my most pleasurable memories was a romantic picnic in the courtyard of one of the down town buildings. There were concrete tables with folded up umbrellas, but we spread a large blanket near some kind of garden. (the thing that mars my memory is the fact that I was near the end of a long addiction to alcohol and cocaine - I'm clean and sober 26+ years now). A bicycle cop came by as we were sharing a glass of wine. He was kind and, thankfully, could see it was a midnight romance and not a late night sexual tryst. He wished us a good evening and rode away.

Anyway, sorry for the mental diversion. It sounds like I could actually have a good time in SF. It's not like I HAVE to glide across The Bridge, but it would be fun. Concerning Bart and CalTrain, do I need to contact them before my trip? How do I go about getting a permit?

I still don't know if I will be getting the consult. All my health care is through the VA and getting a surgical consult is a process. The Reno surgeons won't do the operation because of my COPD, but my doctor seems to think the Bay Area surgeons could do it with a spinal block of some sort, so they don't have to put me to sleep. But my fingers are crossed. A short trip to SF would be fun and the only way I can afford it is if the VA paid gas and lodging. And the cherry on top would be getting my knee fixed.

Jim
Old 02-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Notasperfectasyou
Notasperfectasyou is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Jim,

We just got back from vacation there. My sister lives in wine country. Here's the bridge:

It was very windy and like 20 degrees colder than we expected. Kim loved the ride. The bridge has various parking lots. We could not park in a friendly one. Parking was tricky. We parked in a lot that was on the northwest end/side of the bridge. We had to carry the Segway down and up a flight of stairs to get to the side we could cross on.

The Muir woods was a little challenging, but workable - had to go around a bit of stuff. Armstrong woods much easier. I don't know what the rules are for non-handicap use. Kim has MS so she can glide nearly anywhere. I think a lot of the really steep streets might not Seg well, but someone who lives there would know better.

Segway's dangerous? You got to watch out for those mini gokart/tricycle tour things EVERYWHERE! They allow those! Now those things are dangerous. Have fun and bundle up before you go over the bridge. Ken
Notasperfectasyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks Ken. Am I assuming correctly that you can't use the bicycle lanes for Segway use?

I do remember the chill and fog factors of Bay Area living.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Notasperfectasyou
Notasperfectasyou is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The cyclists on the bridge were pretty annoying people. we quickly got the impression that we were not supposed to be in the cycle lanes. But, it's not like anyone was going to fine us for being and acting like tourists. I live in DC and we are much nicer to tourists here than the folks on the Golden Gate Bridge. Have fun. Ken
Notasperfectasyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
Thanks Ken. Am I assuming correctly that you can't use the bicycle lanes for Segway use?

I do remember the chill and fog factors of Bay Area living.
Bicyclists have been shunted to the pedestrian side of the bridge lately because of construction.

We certainly SHOULD be allowed on the bridge. Let me know if you make it, and maybe we can give it a try together.

I'd rather take it at a pedestrian's pace than a bicyclist's pace anyway. It's one of our advantages over a bicycle, so we may as well enjoy it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notasperfectasyou View Post
The Muir woods was a little challenging, but workable - had to go around a bit of stuff. Armstrong woods much easier. I don't know what the rules are for non-handicap use. Kim has MS so she can glide nearly anywhere. I think a lot of the really steep streets might not Seg well, but someone who lives there would know better.

Segway's dangerous? You got to watch out for those mini gokart/tricycle tour things EVERYWHERE! They allow those! Now those things are dangerous. Have fun and bundle up before you go over the bridge. Ken
The main part of Muir Woods is pretty easy -- I've been there many times. I'm not interested in trying the trails on sides of the canyon with all the stairs. I mean, I'd love to explore them, but I'm not interested in working that hard.

So there's a good chance your wife's Segway wasn't the first one the staff had seen. We (the handicapped) are definitely allowed.

As for the Bridge and parking, I'd suggest parking on the south side. There's more parking there -- some on each side, connected by a tunnel under the administration building. You can even park in the Presidio and walk/glide in.

The Presidio is actually a nice place to glide. I haven't done it a lot, but you get to see a lot more than driving.

As for steep hills -- well, if you have no experience on slopes it might be an issue, but really, I've stood facing down the steepest of streets, no hands on the Segway, taking a picture of one of those "Prevent Runaways, Curb Your Wheels" signs. If you're at all familiar with how the balance point shifts on steep slopes, it's not a problem -- except when you combine steep sidewalks with curb cuts. Just be sure to take those on the side away from the street -- the added slope can get close to vertical in some cases.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

It has been several years since I last visited SF, and I have never taken a segway with me. So, for those of us who are using the segway as transportation (without any ADA provisions), how practical is it to use one in SF? If they are limited to only street use in the city, that just seems too hazardous for me. The only times I will take to the street is on minor side-streets with little or no traffic volume, otherwise I stick to the sidewalks and other non-vehicular paths.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
It has been several years since I last visited SF, and I have never taken a segway with me. So, for those of us who are using the segway as transportation (without any ADA provisions), how practical is it to use one in SF? If they are limited to only street use in the city, that just seems too hazardous for me. The only times I will take to the street is on minor side-streets with little or no traffic volume, otherwise I stick to the sidewalks and other non-vehicular paths.
San Francisco does have an ever-expanding set of bike lanes, so it's not as dire as you might think.

And bikes aren't legal on the sidewalks either, but you see that all the time.

I've been with a group (returning from a parade), using the sidewalks with no problem. I don't know how general that experience would be.

I don't recall seeing any SF residents post here in a long time.