SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Missouri disability access up date...

2014 is more than half over, and I just learned that 5.5 years since I notified them of upcoming changes, the Missouri Department of Conservation is "in the process" of updating their disability policies to comply with the provisions of ADA 2010. They will "probably" no longer require a permit for use of Segways. Also they are no longer requiring form from your doctor that is still in the application when you submit the application.. .We shall see!

I was told that this no permit policy would include " Hoverounds, mobility scooters and other EPAMD devices." I informed them at least three years ago that a Hoveround is a _wheelchair_ not an EPAMD but until the new policies go into effect "hopefully by the end of the year", a permit is still required to use a Hoveround! They also said that they would include the disability information on their website so that it "would be easier to find". ..instead of impossible as of the moment. Again, we shall see! And if you want a disability permit for a hunting or fishing license, you still have to submit a doctors form...

I had just received a copy of the current forms to include in another formal complaint, but I guess I'll just wait and see what they come up with...

Thanks for letting me vent! I do feel a bit better! <G>. They have indeed come a long way from their original policy developed four years ago of "no Segways on any MDC property." I raised Ned on that one and they backed down enough to allow the disabled to use bathrooms and enter an office to get a permit... And a month ago, after I protested again, they removed the newly installed trail "water bars" (stair like drainage control structures). These cut off access to half the trails and access from the rear entrance of the local Nature Center. (Illegal under ADA). The wheels of progress move very slowly indeed when ignorance, stupidity and bureaucracy meet!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
jrwilcox
jrwilcox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks for all your hard work Lilly!

"I'd much rather be happy than right any day."
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
jrwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote