SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default New disability symbol!

http://news.yahoo.com/new-accessibil...200036203.html

Sorry, I can't add the images at the moment...but there is a difference!

Note: some of the comments are interesting too....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

This is the old symbol:

This is the new one:

You can download free PDF versions of the icon in either blue or black here: http://www.accessibleicon.org/shop.html They also have stickers for sale in 2 sizes and a parking space stencil.

I'd love to be put on a list of buyers of the new icon in the 3x3" size plastic replicas that some use on their Segways. Of course, I think it would be great if someone came up with a modified version that looked more like a Seg than a wheelchair - but close enough to still be seen as an accessibility icon.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post

You can download free PDF versions of the icon in either blue or black here: http://www.accessibleicon.org/shop.html They also have stickers for sale in 2 sizes and a parking space stencil.

I'd love to be put on a list of buyers of the new icon in the 3x3" size plastic replicas that some use on their Segways. Of course, I think it would be great if someone came up with a modified version that looked more like a Seg than a wheelchair - but close enough to still be seen as an accessibility icon.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. Which symbol do you prefer? I kinda like the newer one --with a handicap, maybe, but definitely not disabled! Not everyone agrees!

Of course, one is also supposed to be politically correct........
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I first read about it yesterday morning (I'm in CA) and the article had a lot of negative feedback included. The icon does resemble a racing wheelchair user. I guess I was initially swayed by negative press, but I read more throughout the day and became more blasé about it. Turns out, you can modify the appearance of the accessibility icon to some degree, as long as it continues to be recognizable as a symbol of disability. Trouble is, you can't incorporate into any design every disability or universal mode of mobility. There's no symbol for those who use a walker, a 3 or 4-wheeled scooter, crutches, cane or, of course, a Segway.

So, since the new symbol seems to be gaining acceptance, even if reluctantly, I guess I'm okay with it. I don't mind change. I'm not a supporter or fan of the Accessible Icon Project, but I'm not against them either. I never liked the old symbol anyway. And if someone came up with a symbol that could be recognized as both an accessibility icon and a Segway, I'd pay money to use it.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

As a person with a disability I don't care for either symbol. However, the new symbol seems to symbolize increased and or more active mobility while looking less like a wheelchair when not comparing it side by side to the old symbol........so an overall improvement.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote