SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Years ago I was stopped on the Golden Gate bridge and was told that Segways where not allowed. Since then I have received information that Segways are allowed on the bridge when used as a mobility device by the disabled.

Current Policty on transporting a segway on the bus

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #12
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Years ago I was stopped on the Golden Gate bridge and was told that Segways where not allowed. Since then I have received information that Segways are allowed on the bridge when used as a mobility device by the disabled.

Thank you, Jeff! It's nice to see the bridge and bus policies have been updated.

The procedure seems very similar to that on Caltrain, somewhat awkward but workable. I highly recommend anyone using a Segway on transit should bring some bungee cords for securement. I've found that to be pretty essential pretty much everywhere.

I wonder who worked with them on working that out (or if they copied it from another agency).

The people I've worked with at GGT regarding the ferry system have been pretty good people. I haven't ridden the ferries in a while, and I miss them.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post

Please note that this was dated 2009. ADA 2010 regulations currently apply--including a provision that they must accept your word as to disability unless there is visual evidence to the contrary...

I'm not sure just how this policy fits into ADA 2010 but it should be reviewed...
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default My appointment moved to Palo Alto

I got a notice in the mail today that said my appointment has been scheduled with doctors in the Palo Alto VA. I don't know why they changed it from San Francisco, but I guess it doesn't matter.

So, how is Palo Alto for Segwaying around? Any sights or areas I should try to get to? It's a 5 hour drive from my home, so I don't know if I should come the night before, or just spend the night after my appointments. I'll have to contact them Monday to see if there is a Veterans Hospice I can stay at, so I don't have to blow my limited budget on a hotel/motel.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #15
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I visit a doctor at Stanford. I've never had any real issue in Palo Alto.

The Stanford Mall's security did once stop me, we had a discussion, they consulted with their superiors, and I was allowed. It's a Simon mall, but I've never had any further problem, despite their corporate history.

The Stanford campus is a nice area to glide.

Nearby Mountain View is home to one of the few anti-Segway ordinances in CA, like San Francisco, thanks to the efforts of one councilwoman in particular who pushed for it. You shouldn't have any trouble, thanks to the ADA, but I've mostly avoided Mountain View in protest since.

I did stop there last week on my way back from San Jose, since my legs cramped up as I hit traffic on 101 there. I ended up getting some exercise by the Shoreline Ampitheater, where my Segway and I encountered the Google self-driving car, which was kind of cool.

It would have been more cool if its keepers knew more about it. I'm taking Sebastian Thrun's "program your own self-driving car" class next week for the heck of it. (http://www.udacity.com/cs#373)

I still have visions of teaching my Android phone to ride my Segway.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #16
segaddict
segaddict is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile Legal

Segways, while earlier banned in San Francisco by city council, at the lobbying efforts of the disablity rights coalition, finally came to realize there are differing degrees of disability. The prohibition was finally loosened and anyone that is disabled can Segway throughout the City. Segways are legal in California unless locally prohibited, but even then must remain for for use under ADA as a mobility device.

X2's are not sidewalk legal.
segaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

So, to get back to my original concern...

Part of an upcoming road trip will include SF for a few days. I am planning to take the i2 with me for various outings during the trip, but I am still concerned about the ins & outs of using it in SF. What is the likelihood I will be stopped and/or cited for using it on city sidewalks? ADA provisions do not apply in my case...
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #18
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway of sidewalks in S.F.

W/o proof of mobility need, I believe you are relegated to the bike lanes while traveling along streetways, except in open public areas like Fisherman's wharf.

mobility aid use as a pedestrian:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc467.htm

Last edited by dudeman1961; 06-17-2014 at 11:02 PM..
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #19
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post
W/o proof of mobility need, I believe you are relegated to the bike lanes while traveling along streetways, except in open public areas like Fisherman's wharf.
I understand that. But I'm wondering, typically how observant and strict the enforcement would be... I mean, technically bikes are not usually legal on sidewalks either, but I see them riding there frequently without citation.

By the way, your California DMV link shows a segway is considered a pedestrian regardless of disability. However, the California code is overridden by local municipal code.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
owen
owen is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default SF Bay Transit Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
The Muni busses aren't equipped, nor are the muni streetcars, and you're not allowed on basically anything Muni. As near as I can tell, we're not missing much. Not riding the streetcars during busy times came as a relief.
I'm tired of having to plan my travels around which transit systems have Segway policies, so I recently started to reach out to a bunch of local ones I may need to use.

I was surprised to find that Muni does have a Segway policy (see here). Like BART, they require a permit and in-person orientation.

I have also reached out to the PresidiGo shuttle which connects downtown with the Presidio. They have also agreed to carry Segway as mobility devices, but I haven't tried this out yet.

In the East Bay, County Connection has also agreed to carry segway as a mobility device.

I am currently in the process of working with Wheels (Livermore/Dublin/Pleasanton) to work out access.

Owen
owen is offline   Reply With Quote