SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
dave
dave is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Segway Robotic Platform for carrying food

My father currently is doing well using a walker for walking around his house. However he has trouble carrying food around the house for meals. He can use a small bag for carrying books, papers, and small stuff like that; however, he has a problem at meal time when he pours a drink or food on a plate. He can't carry a plate or a glass and keep it level with both hands on a walker. I was wondering if anyone had experience using one of the Segway platforms for such a purpose? He can place anything that must stay level on the platform, walk to a table, then summon the platform, and then transfer the plates to a table. Is this something workable?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
<snip>Is this something workable?
Workable yes, but there is no build in software and/or sensors to follow him.

I think the best best is to add a shelf to the front of the walker.

Check out: Walker Accessories from 800 Wheelchair

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
My father currently is doing well using a walker for walking around his house. However he has trouble carrying food around the house for meals. He can use a small bag for carrying books, papers, and small stuff like that; however, he has a problem at meal time when he pours a drink or food on a plate. He can't carry a plate or a glass and keep it level with both hands on a walker. I was wondering if anyone had experience using one of the Segway platforms for such a purpose? He can place anything that must stay level on the platform, walk to a table, then summon the platform, and then transfer the plates to a table. Is this something workable?
Hi Dave: Just some quick input in case it's relevent for you. When I read your description of your dad, it sounds exactly like me. I typically use a rolling cart (like the mechanics use) to get food and stuff /to/from the kitchen, dishes back to the kitched etc. I also use a walker that has a seat in the middle. The seat flips up and there is a little basket underneath that can hold trash or little bags of stuff. Alternatley I also but stuff in bags (the small plastic shopping bags usually), hang them off my wrist and then walk ( I need to use 2 crutches so I cant walk and carry anything) The rolling cart works well, it provides me the stability and ability to lean on it, and it also allows me to transport stuff. Maybe it will help. Best wishes.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

The Segway RMPs are ridiculously expensive, and likely very outdated at this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

The walker tray attachment is certainly the most practical solution. The i-tray, world's first flying tray, is certainly more fun than the Segway RMP.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Hi Dave:
Reading your post, your father sounds exactly like me, so I thought I would pass on one thing I do that may be of assistance. Others more knowledgable than I here will surely address the segway aspect. I use a rolling cart, like the mechanics use to transport food from the kitchen to my recliner by the tv, bring dishes back and forth, etc. I use 2 canes to walk, so I dont have a free hand to carry stuff. I often put stuff in a little bag like a plastic grocery bag and hang it off my wrist, and I also use a walker that has a seat in the middle with a little basket below that I can use to transport stuff. But the rolling cart works best for me, I can support myself on it like a walker, yet still transport alot of stuff. Hope it helps and best wishes.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
The walker tray attachment is certainly the most practical solution. The i-tray, world's first flying tray, is certainly more fun than the Segway RMP.
That is a Parrot AR drone with the propguard and hull removed. EXTREMELY dangerous to be flying near people at eye level. Real, real bad.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #8
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
That is a Parrot AR drone with the propguard and hull removed. EXTREMELY dangerous to be flying near people at eye level. Real, real bad.
That was my immediate reaction as well. Well, mixed in with the coolness factor, which I do appreciate.

A few weeks ago, passing through the local mall, as I passed the local Tesla dealer on my Segway, I encountered a quad-copter. I don't have any problem with how it was being operated, because it was not in close quarters.

But delivering items to tables is inherently close quarters.

Still, every toy helicopter poses much the same risk, like the one that was flying around my office the other day. In most cases, the risk is very low, because people will instinctively protect their eyes.

But if people become habituated to its sound, and are caught by surprise, injury could result.

I was thinking they should add some safety features; I'm sad they appear to have removed them instead.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote