SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:42 AM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default New ADA publications

The Justice Department announced today that it has published two new technical assistance documents to assist the public in understanding how the ADA applies to their unique circumstances. "Wheelchairs, Mobility Aids, and Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices" provides guidance on the Department's 2010 regulations regarding the use of wheelchairs and mobility aids, as well as other types of less-traditional powered mobility devices. "Effective Communication" provides guidance on the 2010 regulations provisions relating to communicating effectively with people who have vision, hearing, or speech disabilities. Both are part of the Department's "ADA Requirements" publication series.

To find out more about the ADA, call the Justice Department’s toll-free ADA Information Line at 800-514-0301 or 800-514-0383 (TDD), or access its ADA.gov website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:08 AM   #2
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Thanks, Mom!

http://www.ada.gov/opdmd.pdf

This looks really good. Unfortunately, Chrome seems to not want to display PDF's for me today -- if this happens to you, right click (control-click on a Mac, or two-finger click, or whatever gets you the menu in your internet cafe...), and choose Save As, and save the file, and open it outside the browser.

Worked for me.

I also found, searching for the same title:
http://adata.org/sites/cms.adata.org...actsheet_7.pdf

Which I don't think is as good; it is more a less a summary of the regulations. The DOJ one really gives context, examples of people doing the sort of things I do every day.

And they explicitly say: "Based on these assessment factors, the
Department of Justice expects that devices
such as Segways® can be accommodated
in most circumstances."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
bud01234
bud01234 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Wow!
This is a great clarification by The Justice dept.

I counted 4 pictures in the 5 pages of segways (either individually or with wheelchairs and golf carts.

The following quote is really great:

Also, for safety reasons, larger electric devices such as
golf cars may be excluded from narrow or crowded settings where there is no validreason to exclude smaller electric devices like Segways®.

Based on these assessment factors, the Department of Justice expects that devices such as Segways® can be accommodated in most circumstances.

Lilly, are you as excited as me?

Bud
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thank Lilly
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
Wow!
This is a great clarification by The Justice dept.

I counted 4 pictures in the 5 pages of segways (either individually or with wheelchairs and golf carts.

The following quote is really great:

Also, for safety reasons, larger electric devices such as
golf cars may be excluded from narrow or crowded settings where there is no validreason to exclude smaller electric devices like Segways®.

Based on these assessment factors, the Department of Justice expects that devices such as Segways® can be accommodated in most circumstances.

Lilly, are you as excited as me?

Bud
LOL. I was excited when ADA 2010 actually mentioned Segways...
I find two particularly interesting statements in here. One that a disabled person has the right to use the device of their choice that fits their needs..Disney, are you listening?

And second that they cannot base their exclusion on speculation about the device or about how a disabled person might use it! That would seem to me to say that they can't assume that one will automatically use it at 12.5 mph just because you can and so place a speed limit beyond "reasonable and prudent".
One of my gripes with the Missouri department of Conservation department (which now at least recognizes that a Seg must be permitted) is that they have set a maximum of 3 miles per hour. That is reasonable if the trail is crowded, ridiculous if there is no one else around and the trail is suitable for more speed.

Difficult as reasonable and prudent would be to enforce, a specific speed is unenforceable unless you have a speed gun. Most everyone I think tends to over estimate Seg speed when observing without a specific comparison.

If you are using my summary of the applicable ADA you might want to add some bits of this or at least refer to it along with the mention of their guide for small businesses. I'll add it some of these days when things slow down a bit...
Old 02-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Lily Kerns

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
LOL. I was excited when ADA 2010 actually mentioned Segways...
I find two particularly interesting statements in here. One that a disabled person has the right to use the device of their choice that fits their needs..Disney, are you listening?

And second that they cannot base their exclusion on speculation about the device or about how a disabled person might use it! That would seem to me to say that they can't assume that one will automatically use it at 12.5 mph just because you can and so place a speed limit beyond "reasonable and prudent".
One of my gripes with the Missouri department of Conservation department (which now at least recognizes that a Seg must be permitted) is that they have set a maximum of 3 miles per hour. That is reasonable if the trail is crowded, ridiculous if there is no one else around and the trail is suitable for more speed.

Difficult as reasonable and prudent would be to enforce, a specific speed is unenforceable unless you have a speed gun. Most everyone I think tends to over estimate Seg speed when observing without a specific comparison.

If you are using my summary of the applicable ADA you might want to add some bits of this or at least refer to it along with the mention of their guide for small businesses. I'll add it some of these days when things slow down a bit...
One other item in this... If they are going to exclude you, they have to provide other way s of serving you. I've been shopping at a fabric out let store (a very good customer <g>) for a good number of years. Their building was old and very crowded--barely walking room, absolutely impossible for a wheel chair to get beyond the first cutting counter. Well, they built a new shopping center with all kinds of space and guess what! They have stock stacked in the aisles so there is barely room to walk.

I told them about my concern and when I asked later was told that they had checked and that, as long as they provided a personal shopper service, they were ok. Obviously bureaucracy can't take into account that it is their fault that the aisles are crowded ( don't know if they admitted this was a brand new building) or that when you are shopping for exactly the right fabric, a personal shopper absolutely is not an adequate solution!

Oh well! I suppose I could pursue the matter farther, and would if there were more disabled quilters in the area, but I've too many other things going on right now. But you can be sure that if I ever have to use the personal shopper option, they will wish they had cleared their aisles... Hmmm...actually that process could be a lot of fun. (Evil grin!) I had a fabric store clerk tell me one time that she loved watching me choose fabric! The artist wants it exactly right...

Last edited by Lily Kerns; 02-01-2014 at 02:19 PM..