SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
Reckless
Reckless is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Lightbulb Segway Pricing Help

I have been trying to hunt down a used Segway I2 or X2 for a good price. The biggest concern I have is replacing batteries, I don't want to have to deal with it.

I found a 2008 I2 with 5 miles for $3200 with brand new batteries. I am not sure if that is a good price or not. It doesn't seem to me like the SE had any worthwhile upgrades. When did segway begin using Lithium batteries?

I am looking for one that won't need service for a long time. Most of the used ones I see have 400-800 miles on them. What is the average life of a Segway in terms of miles/age?
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

That's probably about as good of a deal that you'll find. Esp with the New batteries (over $1,600 alone.) Segways can go for tens of thousands of miles. Batteries and the occasional electrical issue are the most common problems, but those seem to rarely occur in machines that are regularly used. If the batteries are good, a machine with 600-800 miles is just getting broken in. There are users with well over 10,000 miles on some machines.
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I agree. A low mileage machine with a documented new set of batteries for $3200 is a great buy. A lesser machine with an unknown set of batteries may well need a new set soon and adding $1800 to whatever you paid for it would probably cost you more than the $3200

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #4
fathertime
fathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Smile

Hi Reckless-
We have several used machines in stock and would be happy to give you a demo and answer any questions that you may have. Just stop in anytime we are open (Tues. thru Sat. 10am til 5pm) and we will be happy to help you.
LaGrange, Il. 60525
(708) 352-1685
fathertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #5
segaddict
segaddict is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway price

$3,200 is a great price. I paid $4K each for 2 of mine both "new," though one an X2. Those were great deals and I paid for shipping. Be careful you are not getting scammed as that is 50% off retail.
segaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
Reckless

5 yr Member

Yeah, it turns out the batteries aren't brand spanking new. The batteries are used but at 90% (one is from 2011 and the other from 2010 which are at 4.8V). He is willing to sell at $2700 + shipping.

I have been looking at the airwheel lineup and it seems very comparable to segway at rock bottom prices. I imagine the Segway will outlast it 3x over but as the market is constantly improving there will be something nicer in 3-5 years.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
Reckless

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathertime View Post
Hi Reckless-
We have several used machines in stock and would be happy to give you a demo and answer any questions that you may have. Just stop in anytime we are open (Tues. thru Sat. 10am til 5pm) and we will be happy to help you.
Will do, PM if you have anything comparable for sale. I'd rather buy local but I like something brand spanking new in terms of mileage and want a sweet deal.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
Yeah, it turns out the batteries aren't brand spanking new. The batteries are used but at 90% (one is from 2011 and the other from 2010 . . . .
Not sure how they come up with "90%" - All you really know for sure is one battery is 6 years old, the other one 5 and since they typically last 8 to 10 years, they're at least 50% used up right now

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:11 AM   #9
kriskris
kriskris is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Me and my boyfriend had a couple of days in Barcelona. We both have done quiet a bit of segway driving before. Since segway driving in Barcelona is done on turtle mode on the sidewalks. Not all the companies in Barcelona will let a little fellow like him ride a segway, but Segway rent did and we had a great tour. Our guide did a great job, providing a very safe and informative tour around the city. We where only 4 persons in the group + the guide, which was nice. A small break with a drink provided by the guide on top of the castle, was a nice gesture on a windy rather wet day in town.There is quiet a few companies to choose between in Barcelona, when you want to ride a segway through town. I don't know how the other ones handle there tours, but I can can definitely recommend Segway Rent if you want a safe and interesting tour with a charming guide. eurosegway.es/
kriskris is offline   Reply With Quote