SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
cyberjack
cyberjack is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Lots of Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I think usage will guarantee the best performance from the batteries. How they're charged is secondary: whether they are left plugged in or on timer, will not affect range as much as using them regularly. This is based on no scientific experimentation or detailed knowledge in this area, I just think that the charging regime is at its most important when the machines are not being used for longish periods. There seems to be a correlation between lots of use and good battery performance.
How do you define "lots of use"? I am averaging approximately 160 miles a month since purchasing in August. Does this fit the criteria or are you talking significantly more? I used it to commute, but not as much on weekends.
cyberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up 2p

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjack View Post
How do you define "lots of use"? I am averaging approximately 160 miles a month since purchasing in August. Does this fit the criteria or are you talking significantly more? I used it to commute, but not as much on weekends.
10000 miles in 3 years!

Seriously, don't pay my thoughts too much attention on this. I cannot put a number on it. I just think that a regularly used Segway is likely to live a happier life than one left in storage - regardless of how they are maintained. Think of it like this - Segways (or rather their batteries) like exercise. If they don't get any then they may survive but just like us, they may not be as healthy as they could be.

160 miles a month sounds fine to me. If you did 160 miles a year then how you care for the batteries in the non-gliding hours is more important. Keeping it plugged in or on a timer system would be essential. Some people would even go as far as conditioning their batteries just to keep them "fresh" (technical term ).

There are lots of battery savvy people on here and tour guides who have learnt to get every last mile out of their investment. Pay more attention to them than me!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #13
woodenapple
woodenapple is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

It took me 6 years to put 9,000 miles on my original 'P' model segway. I have since put just over 1,000 miles on the I2 I upgraded to last summer. So I am over 10,000 miles, but not all on one segway. I still ride my old 'P' model from time to time and am on the thrid set of batteries for it, but I sure hope I get the longer life talked about here on my I2 lithium batteries.

"May all your days be Segway days!"
woodenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
JIMBO
JIMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Fun to be a part of it, Stan . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrss View Post
Yesterday, I turned over my odometer on my i2, purchased 6/2007. 10,000 miles gliding ..
One Battery is original and one was replaced on warrantee the first year (approx.2K mi.) I'm still getting 18mi. per charge. Two sets of stock tires and I'm now running IRC-SN23 tires. I now have a low milage i2 Segway. 0004 miles.
. . . Scott told me you brought it into the Newport Beach store with "0000" on the odometer. Great planning. (I see your picture with 9999 was taken from the Pier, a short distance away.

Another of our customers, who previously rode an i-180 for 2 years (unknown miles), has put an additional 15,000+ miles on his i2. Batteries have never been removed. In fact, 3 months ago when he stopped in (InfoKey issue), I found the battery screw heads rusted, so eventually their heads will need to be drilled off.

And, get this: his speed limiter is locked (yes, it's possible) to 10 mph!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(714) 630-7296 ext 101 Anaheim Corporate
(949) 723-1722 Newport Beach
(213) 507-1930 Cell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ STEP UP ! ~
JIMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 AM   #15
Grumble
Grumble is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

'We' have an I2 sitting next to our desk for about 2 years now.
We use it mainly for transportation between one building and another at our campus.
So far the odometer says 1529 KM.
Thats the max. at our campus
Grumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #16
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I have about 10,000 miles in total over 7 years, an original i167 then an i180 and about 5,500 on an I2 (original platform replaced after about 500 miles due to a bent wheel flange so my current infokey says 4977. I worked backwards to estimate my my mileage on the gens 1s. In spite of almost daily use my I2 batteries died after about a 18 months, (one died so I replaced both to have a balanced pair). The second set are now about 2.5 years old and are beginning to show signs of ageing. I have not generally left the machine plugged in because if I do that it's harder to know how much range you have left- the battery gauge seems less predictable if you have a partly discharged battery and put say an hour's charge into it. Could it be that this has reduced my battery life? I thought that the degradation is less for a partly discharged battery than fora fully charged one. I occasionally fully discharge the batteries to recalibrate everything but don't usually discharge to below two bars- that is what I need fro a one way commute. Perhaps the local climate also matters?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #17
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Does it count toward my mileage if I have to send my Seg to New Hampshire and back to replace its power base?
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #18
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Only if they drag it behind the UPS van
Old 10-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #19
JIMBO
JIMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Anyone care to guess . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
Makes you wonder if INC expected the i2 to last over 10K miles when they limited the odometer to four digits.
. . . what "telltale" InfoKey display will appear after 20,000 miles?

We already know that after 10,000 miles, Blinky "winks" every few seconds. Our 'marathon' customer will hit 20,000 miles in about a month. Let's have a contest to see who can predict the actual change in the display as programmed by those crafty Segway engineers.

Winner (US only - no Segway employees or ex-employees please) will receive their choice of a Vega 120 LED Headlight. (see http://www.segwayoc.com/?id=Products...cat=Light%20it ) or a 3D Segway Crystal.

(714) 630-7296 ext 101 Anaheim Corporate
(949) 723-1722 Newport Beach
(213) 507-1930 Cell

~ STEP UP ! ~

Last edited by JIMBO; 10-15-2010 at 07:08 PM..
JIMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
cyberjack
cyberjack is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Great News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrss View Post
Yesterday, I turned over my odometer on my i2, purchased 6/2007. 10,000 miles gliding ..
One Battery is original and one was replaced on warrantee the first year (approx.2K mi.) I'm still getting 18mi. per charge. Two sets of stock tires and I'm now running IRC-SN23 tires. I now have a low milage i2 Segway. 0004 miles.
I ride mine every day to work and am closer to 170 miles per month, my rough math puts you close to 250 per month. I hope I can keep my batteries up to 10K miles, the cost of new batteries would really set me back.
cyberjack is offline   Reply With Quote