SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #1
MiamiBeachPatrol
MiamiBeachPatrol is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway Inc. enforcing trademarked name within domains?

Has anyone else (having the word "Segway" within their domain name) recently received "cease and desist" emails from Segway Inc.?

It is my understanding that the new Chinese owners are utilizing a team of 7 attorneys (brandprotection.com) to work solely on shutting down tour operators (or anyone, for that matter) with the word "Segway" within their domain name.

It is also my understanding that they'll be going state-by-state...... and apparently they've started with Florida.
MiamiBeachPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBeachPatrol View Post
Has anyone else (having the word "Segway" within their domain name) recently received "cease and desist" emails from Segway Inc.?

It is my understanding that the new Chinese owners are utilizing a team of 7 attorneys (brandprotection.com) to work solely on shutting down tour operators (or anyone, for that matter) with the word "Segway" within their domain name.

It is also my understanding that they'll be going state-by-state...... and apparently they've started with Florida.
That is very classic, coming from a company that stole the idea from Segway in the first place!
This world is upside down!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

FWIW, I haven't heard of this but wouldn't be surprised, because that's the way trademarks work in the U.S. legal system. If you do not actively protect it, a future company can make the claim that the trademark was abandoned because it wasn't being enforced. It stinks that it has to be that way, but blame the law, not the company for doing what it needs to do to maintain the protections of the law.

At one time, Segway licensed its name for use by dealers and such. Not sure if they still do that any more.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
FWIW, I haven't heard of this but wouldn't be surprised, because that's the way trademarks work in the U.S. legal system. If you do not actively protect it, a future company can make the claim that the trademark was abandoned because it wasn't being enforced. It stinks that it has to be that way, but blame the law, not the company for doing what it needs to do to maintain the protections of the law.

At one time, Segway licensed its name for use by dealers and such. Not sure if they still do that any more.
Actually, I find the hypocrisy appalling!....And yes I blame the company not the law!.....Did they care about copyright infringement?.....NO!

Yes, corporations are people, to bad they dont have ethics, and can't be jailed like a person....More corporate double standards!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

[QUOTE]Actually, I find the hypocrisy appalling!....And yes I blame the company not the law!.....Did they care about copyright infringement?.....NO!

Yes, corporations are people, to bad they dont have ethics, and can't be jailed like a person....More corporate double standards! [/QUOTE

JohnG is correct. If a tour company has a contract with Segway Inc. for the use of the name, then they'll probably be able to continue using the name.

In terms of focusing on the real problems of the world, we would all be better off if you (and the rest of us) would spend more time battling the democracy-ending "Citizens United" Supreme Court decision. Corporations are NOT people. As it currently stands, Russia, China, North Korea, ISIS, and everyone else has no need to defeat the US on the battlefield. They can simply buy what they what they want from politicians, and citizens are not allowed to know where the money comes from.

ANYONE who thinks providing unlimited secret money to politicians is a good idea either doesn't understand the long history of graft and corruption... or is part of the game.

Last edited by Civicsman; 09-18-2017 at 01:45 PM..
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote