SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 04-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #1
Fog_Man
Fog_Man is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Fog_Man here from Florida

Saw a Segway MiniPro at SamsClub. If I were to purchase one, it would be 60% for commuting. My office is about 6 miles away. Presumably I could take it into the building and recharge to get home. There are sidewalks between.

I can't walk more than two miles. Back problems, perhaps too much jogging in my younger years. However I can ride and do ride my 45 lb bicycle no problem for 20 miles.

Upon occasion I need to travel to the U.K. and contenant. Any problems as airline baggage, Reg's, diff electricity?
Fog_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Gear Priest
Gear Priest is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi Frog Man! Welcome.

It seems the miniPRO could be a good option for you.

Regarding your specific questions:

Airline baggage, of course you will be able to bring it inside a suitcase or even it's original box for transportation, but it will require you to deliver to the airplane cargo bay. Another option is to have as a hand baggage with you on the plane. Usually airlines have a limit on the volume they allow to carry inside so this is a limiting factor. Also some airlines ban the device altogether, others will require you to "prove" you need it for mobility or directly allow it. I recommend you do a little research with some airlines first on this two topics: if they allow it as hand luggage, and the maximum size. I did a brief search about this, and there's no definitive answer. Each airline seem to have their own rules, and they even change them from time to time.

Regarding electricity, UK uses 230 in contrast to US that is 110V . The miniPRO though comes with a charger that allows you to plug it to both. Even if this wouldn't be the case, you can easily purchase a voltage converter...

I've been doing some research a few weeks back and wrote an article about the miniPRO in my website. It might help you decide if it's good or not for you.

I hope my answers helped you at least a bit...

--
Martin
Gear Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:57 AM   #3
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog_Man View Post
Saw a Segway MiniPro at SamsClub. If I were to purchase one, it would be 60% for commuting. My office is about 6 miles away. Presumably I could take it into the building and recharge to get home. There are sidewalks between.

I can't walk more than two miles. Back problems, perhaps too much jogging in my younger years. However I can ride and do ride my 45 lb bicycle no problem for 20 miles.

Upon occasion I need to travel to the U.K. and contenant. Any problems as airline baggage, Reg's, diff electricity?
At best you are looking at a continuous 36 minute ride. Your feet are going to bark at first. For some reason my feet really get fatigued on long rides.

There are lots of videos of the MiniPro being used on Youtube. It is worth a try as a commuter. Lots of people are interested in them so it should be easy to sell if you don't like it.

Last edited by Pescador12; 04-29-2017 at 03:48 AM..
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:

Im guessing your knees arnt bent thats why you back hurts?....They should be bent(shock absorbing) and for balance...Just like ice skating , rollerblading. or roller skating....It feel very odd at first if your not used to it!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Fog_Man
Fog_Man is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:

a Segway MiniPro at SamsClub. If I were to purchase one, it would be 60% for commuting.

Change of plans. Not just for commuting. Wife has been sneaking rides on my Segway MiniPro, white with handlebars, quick release bar lock, and kickstand. So, I offered her the white one, and I would purchase a black one. Big thumbs up.

Regarding exercise, my hypothesis is that the Segway MiniPro, knee or hand grips, provide as much exercise and limber stretching as non- impact aerobics and yoga.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fog_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Welcome &

Welcome. For commuting you might find a full size (used) i2 or new i2 SE a nicer match; larger wheels = nicer glide (ride), handlebar provides location for cargo pack, and a much longer battery range. Of course even used the i2 is a bit more pricey.

I i2 commuted for 18 months, 8 miles one-way, nearly year round rain or shine and found it to be very enjoyable. The trip home being a great way to decompress from work.

Regarding flying with a Segway product; The Lithium-ion Batteries are regulated as “Hazardous Materials” by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Regulations keep getting refined but in general they cannot be carried on passenger aircraft. And boxes must have specific Li-Ion warning labels for freight carriers.

= = = =
10,500 i2 gliding miles over 6+ years
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote