SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Sore Feet

I thought my sore feet on long rides was because of the mini pro's platform being shorter than my feet. There is some overhang of the toes. However, my wife noted that her feet were also sore. Her feet are tiny and there is almost no overhang.

The soreness is more of a fatigue thing as just a moment or so off the Segway makes all the difference. I think leaning forward a little bit, to go forward, is putting pressure on your foot to keep the platform tilted. Not sure. I just know a break is needed occasionally.

Are the full size Segways, with their larger platforms, causing sore feet on long rides? Maybe some leaning pressure is put onto the handle bars thereby relieving stress on the feet?
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
I thought my sore feet on long rides was because of the mini pro's platform being shorter than my feet. There is some overhang of the toes. However, my wife noted that her feet were also sore. Her feet are tiny and there is almost no overhang.

The soreness is more of a fatigue thing as just a moment or so off the Segway makes all the difference. I think leaning forward a little bit, to go forward, is putting pressure on your foot to keep the platform tilted. Not sure. I just know a break is needed occasionally.

Are the full size Segways, with their larger platforms, causing sore feet on long rides? Maybe some leaning pressure is put onto the handle bars thereby relieving stress on the feet?
First you can get comfort mats for full size Segways......Make sure your knees are bent(shock absorbs) like your ice-skating helps a lot on foot pressure....And tires that have some give, (not rock hard) help some.
I have ridden for hours with no problems.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Long rides on our I2's used to give us both sore feet. The 'cure' is a set of comfort mats and keeping the tires inflated to 15 psi - Any more and the bumps are much harder on the rider

Don't know what tire pressure the mini-Pro uses, but I would imagine their smaller tires transmit more shock from the bumps to the riders feet than our larger diameter tires - Especially so if your tires are hard

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile Sore feet

Comfort mats help but unless you're a tour operator that spends hours a day on them the position of a 'proper rider' is gonna exercise muscles you typically don't use in that way.

It is what it is.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:17 AM   #5
Pescador12

5 yr Member

There is no way I can ride for hours without stepping off. Feet would die.

The tires are very stiff and could be transmitting surface impacts right into the feet. It is a very solid device. Makes sense that could be fatiguing. My tires are at 45psi as called for in the directions. The ride feels smooth but it can't be as smooth as 15psi would be. Large pavement cracks are noticeable bangs on the minipro.

Also, experimenting in the house, I think I am slightly leaned onto the balls of my feet, while going forward, instead of standing straight up more on my heels. Normally standing on my feet would put most weight onto my heel. I will have to pay attention next time and see if I am unknowingly leaning hard onto the front of my foot during a ride.

Okay, occasional breaks are the rule until they build mini pros with suspension or Wheeleez tires (fat beach tires).

Last edited by Pescador12; 08-06-2017 at 02:33 AM..
Old 08-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
japaneezy
japaneezy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:

I never really used to get sore feet on my i2, but yeah, the mini kills my feet. I got a handlebar setup on the way this week and I'll let you know if it helps any with the feet soreness...
japaneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #7
japaneezy
japaneezy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Yeah, just put the handlebars on. did about a half hour ride. No sore feet.
japaneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:59 AM   #8
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japaneezy View Post
Yeah, just put the handlebars on. did about a half hour ride. No sore feet.
Ah, good to know. Must have been fun. It has to be easier to tell people what it is since it now looks like a full size segway. It is now self describing.

I will have to take breaks since the handlebar isn't something I would use. I like my hands free and the self balancing the knee bar provides. I can also warn people who are interested in the minipro about the potential for foot fatigue and the advantages of the handlebar.

Last edited by Pescador12; 08-15-2017 at 01:05 AM..
Old 09-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #9
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think the aching feet is probably due mostly to the tire pressures. On the I2's much larger tires we use 15 psi (X2's use around 5 psi) and I read several places that the mini owners manual calls for 45 psi, even though some of the OEM tires do say 30 psi max right on the sidewall. Many users report that 45 psi works best. That much pressure is sure to transmit near 100% of the pavement imperfections right into the soles of your feet, as 150 to 200 pounds of rider weight won't be enough to deflect the tire any when it has 45 psi in it - Many 3500 pound cars only use 30 psi

I would suppose that mini's weren't really designed for long distance gliding - The key will be to get off frequently for a few minutes to rest your feet

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 PM   #10
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
I think the aching feet is probably due mostly to the tire pressures. On the I2's much larger tires we use 15 psi (X2's use around 5 psi) and I read several places that the mini owners manual calls for 45 psi, even though some of the OEM tires do say 30 psi max right on the sidewall. Many users report that 45 psi works best. That much pressure is sure to transmit near 100% of the pavement imperfections right into the soles of your feet, as 150 to 200 pounds of rider weight won't be enough to deflect the tire any when it has 45 psi in it - Many 3500 pound cars only use 30 psi

I would suppose that mini's weren't really designed for long distance gliding - The key will be to get off frequently for a few minutes to rest your feet

Don
I have ridden the mini pro down the road, turned off onto a gravel driveway, and through grass and ruts that tractors, cows, and farm trailers had worn down behind my neighbors house. You feel everything. No cushion at all. I worry more about the machine taking the pounding than the ride comfort. But it is funny how it goes right through it.

I have discovered that I clench my toes in normal riding. A sorta toes pushing down movement without me thinking about it. I have to think about it and relax my toes and just lean forward with the balls of my feet. And I take breaks. I have a watch full of time so have no hurry to get anywhere.

Sadly, I am visiting a tourist town with Segway tours but can't get anyone around me to be adventurous enough to try it. Wanted to try one of the big ones but won't get my chance.