SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 05-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #1
lipinsky
Account Suspended
lipinsky is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Key Copies and Custom Keys -- DIY cheap!

Do you want copies of your keys (backup, other family members, extras, special keys)? Do it yourself and save $145.00 from what Segway charges. The whole cost for this is less than $25.00 (for one new key; not counting shipping). The benefit for all this is that the money spent here will enable you to make new keys "forever" with this "investment." $15.00 (once) will get the hardware to read and write keys (iButtons) and each "key blank" is $7.79. You may even be able to get a couple of iButtons and fobs free as samples -- though please buy them to keep our good Segway community name.

I have NOT made these instruction flawless nor tested them on other than my own PC (or Macs). You should not have any problem though -- famous last words!

If all this is too much for you, I will make duplicate keys for you free as long as you supply the materials, pay all the postage and send a SASE (a contribution for my time would be appreciated but is not required (PayPal preferred). If you want me to supply the materials you need to cover my costs for me to get the supplies. I can take your request over the phone if you want.

To show you how quick and easy all this is I have included the time it takes to do each step. For the first time you can do all the installation and set up and key creation in less than seven minutes. For additional keys in the future (once everything is set up and installed) the LOE is less than two minutes start to finish!

What to order.

To copy keys you need the following hardware:

(These are the serial versions. Parallel versions are available if that's what you want.)

The keys are iButtons model "DS1993L - 4kb NV RAM" $7.79 each (http://www.ibutton.com/products/ibuttons.html#nvram)

Mounts are available at http://www.ibutton.com/products/mounting.html#fobs take your pick.

Shipping charge is $10.00 per order.

My order took one week to be received. Past performance is not indicative of future results, your mileage may vary.

Place your order https://store.ibutton.com/cgi-bin/nc...01&cgmenbr=776

00:00

Installation and running.

In this activity you will be:
  • Installing a Windows driver (one time)
  • Determining what your COM port setting is (one time)
  • Installing the iButton copy machine software (one time)
  • Installing your Adapter and Receptor (each time you want to make a new key)
  • Running the iButton copy machine to make a new key (each time you want to make a new key)

Install the Windows ibutton TMEX drivers.

Download the drivers from ftp://ftp.dalsemi.com/pub/auto_id/softdev/softdev.html or for your ease
http://www.lipinsky.com/segway/ibutt...ivers_v320.exe

Unplug from your PC any adapters for 1-Wire/ibuttons you have and make sure that you are logged in as an Administrator if you are running Windows 2000 or XP. Stop all other running programs.

Double click on the exe file you just downloaded.

Click:
  • Yes, to install it
  • OK, that you are logged on as an Administrator
  • OK, that your 1-Wire device is not plugged in
  • Yes, to the license
  • Next, on the readme
  • Next, on the choose destination ...
  • Next, on the select program ...
  • OK, on the boot option (read this carefully in case it applies to you)
  • Finish, to complete

That's it. You have now installed the Windows device drivers for programming your Segway keys.

02:58

Determine the COM port for your serial port.

For Windows 2000 this is what you have to do (other versions of Windows may be slightly different). Click on My Computer-> Control Panel-> System-> Hardware-> Device

Manager. Click on the "+" next to "Ports (COM & LPT). Look at "Communications Port (COMx). Remember what the "x" is for a later step.

03:11

Installing the iButton copy machine.

You can get the iButton copy machine file (ibcm31b9.zip from ftp://ftp.dalsemi.com/pub/auto_id/softdev/ibcm31b9.zip) but it has many files you don't need. I have made a stripped down version with only what you need at http://www.lipinsky.com/segway/iButton_Copymachine.ZIP . Download this file and unzip it. Remember where you saved this file for a later step.

04:02

Install the Adapter and Receptor.

Plug the Blue Dot Receptor into the Universal 1-Wire COM Port Adapter.
Plug the Universal 1-Wire COM Port Adapter into the computer's Com port.

04:31

Running the iButton copy machine
  • Go to where you unzipped and saved iButton_Copymachine.ZIP and click on IBCOPMAC.EXE.
  • Check that the Com port is the Com port you checked above. Change it if needed.
  • Click on the tab for your Adapter. If you are following these instuctions it would be DS9097U.
  • Click on OK
    (if all this worked you should see "DS9097U <COM1>" in the lower right corner of the iButton Copy Machine window.)

04:50

Get your blank key ready. I find it easier to mount the iButton before programming it with the Receptor. Dip the plastic fob (NOT THE iButton) into hot water (to expand it to make installation easier) and place a new iButton in it until it clicks. DRY IT OFF COMPLETELY before going on.
  • Click on the Source tab
  • Press the original key into one of the blue buttons (does not matter which one). It should connect firmly.
  • Click Read Source iButton (it takes about 15 seconds to read it and you will hear a "bing" when it is done).
  • Remove your original key from the Blue Dot Receptor.
  • Press your blank key into the Blue Dot Receptor.
  • Click on the Destination tab
  • Click on Write Destination iButton (it will take about 15 seconds)
  • Click on OK (Copy Complete!)

06:06

That's it. In just over six minutes and for less than $30 you can make copies of a Segway key.

Notes

I saved my key value in a file (click on the Source tab -> click on Save iButton to File -> name the file -> click OK) so should I lose all my keys I can recreate them. This is also helpful when creating a modified key.

You do not need to reread a key to write it. Once the value of a key is in the tool (either by reading a key or loading from a file) you can just start pumping out new key copies.

A key can be rewritten as many times as you want. Don't like the key and want to change it -- just set the values and perform a write. This really saves on having to purchase new keys if you mess up. Experimenting is also very easy.

Anyone willing to share lessons learned for the "greater good" is welcome to email me to move this along more quickly.

Key code structure is (all values in hex):
  • CRC16 high byte
  • CRC16 low byte
  • Value "10" (other valid values?)
  • Value "0C" (other valid values?)
  • Next eight bytes are the Segway specific code, the code on the yellow tag.
  • Value "A3" (other valid values?)
  • Speed (0C, 10, 19 for Black, Yellow, Red -- other values valid from 00 through 19)
  • "00" (some ideas exists on what this is, but nothing confirmed yet)
  • Turning rate (50, 90, B0 for Black, Yellow, Red -- other values valid from 00 through B0)[/*]

I don't claim to know everything about this, and I certainly am interested to hear from those who know additional information -- I have been too busy with work and business travel to focus on this. I have proved my ignorance on this topic in a couple of past posts (before I was able to look at key contents) but think that I am beyond that now :-). As for the "other valid values" I wonder if these control some of the speed and turning limits and maybe things like the e-stand (though I really doubt this last item). I have not seen enough keys to validate any hypothesis -- especially like to see the keys from e- and p- models!

Here is a tool that I wrote to calculate the CRC16 bytes based upon entry of all the other values. www.lipinsky.com/segway/Segway_Key_CRC_tool.xls . I certainly would like to hear feedback on what you think of this -- testing was all of about 30 minutes. I expect things not to work 100%.

Have fun!
lipinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:25 PM   #2
toybuilder
toybuilder is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks lipinksy! I ordered my programming hardware, ibuttons, and keyfobs last week. (I bought enough to make 10 keys.) Your program will be quite helpful.

Los Angeles area Segger's -- we can have a key making party soon!

http://www.pasadenasegway.com

The Segway is to a Moped like a Helicopter is to an Airplane.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:50 PM   #3
gotseg
gotseg

5 yr Member

Thanks lipinksy! was wondering about that and you gave all the info i needed. Feel bad for Dev tho, his biz is gone now. But thanks!

gotseg?
gotseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:07 PM   #4
gotseg
gotseg

5 yr Member

lipinksy, have you done any testing to see if you can increase the speed of the ht above 12.5? if so, how high have you gone?

gotseg?
gotseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:20 PM   #5
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

you cannot increase the speed of the ht no matter what values you encode the key with.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:20 PM   #6
lipinsky
Account Suspended

5 yr Member

Yes I have tried and no you can not. I spoke to "someone in the know" today and above 12.5 MPH is absolutely not possible. FYI, I also learned that the entire code for the Segway fits within 32K. That's K, as in thousand.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #7
lipinsky
Account Suspended

5 yr Member

BTW, getting Excel to bit twiddle is no mean feat. Doable, but it required quite a few tricks. I have also spent too much time at 38,000 feet reading about CRC algorithms and code samples. I took the easy way out and used the table lookup method.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:10 PM   #8
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

Hey Lipinsky - Deviant has been doing keys for lots of us (I ordered mine from him last week) - did you miss the post?

Good luck with your keys - it's nice knowing you will have spares for all time

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:12 PM   #9
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Lipinsky -

Thanks for the clear instructions.

(Your stripped down copy machine file doesn't appear to be available...)

Practicing Safe Segs in Seattle
terryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:19 PM   #10
SegwayBill
SegwayBill

5 yr Member

I had Deviant make me a key with a higher turning speed. The red key is 3.5 second turns, the new key is 2.4 second and more responsive.

Bill
SegwayBill is offline   Reply With Quote