SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 AM   #1
glen_d
glen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Replacing i2 Elastomeric Couplers

I haven't seen a lot of comments from people who have had problems with elastomeric couplers, so I thought I'd post my experience with replacing them on my i2.

My wife's i2 has been growling loudly on the right side for the last month, so I removed each transmission from the base to inspect the elastomeric couplers. On both couplers, the elastomer was sticky and disintegrating into little bits that were evident in the area that encloses the couplers. I cleaned the elastomers and both halves of the couplers with a wax and grease remover used for paint prep (safe for plastics) and re-assembled the i2. The couplers were initially quiet but quickly degraded to their former noisy operation within a few minutes.

The elastomer coupler consists of two assemblies:

1) A white hard plastic hub with eight lobes on the exterior. This is a light press fit onto the hex-shaped output shaft of the motor in the base. The eight exterior lobes are covered with a soft elastomer shell about 1/8" thick. The elastomer shell is a separate part that can be removed and replaced separately from the hard plastic (although these two parts are sold as an assembly by Segway).

2) A white hard plastic cup on the transmission input shaft. It has 8 interior lobes that match the shape of the elastomer-covered hub on the motor output shaft.

Here's a picture of the couplers I removed from the output shaft of the motors in the base:

The white flecks in the picture are a small portion of the debris that resulted from the elastomer disintegration. The elastomer slides onto the white plastic hub one way - there is a small web at the bottom of each of the elastomer's 8 interior corners that fit into notches in the base of the hub.

I ordered a pair of replacement elastomers from Segway of Annapolis for about $34 and received them in Alaska just three days later. To replace the couplers, I followed these steps:

1) Lay the i2 on its side (on a wheel) and work on the transmission that is now facing up.

2) Remove the hubcap and wheel. The wheel is retained with three 13 mm nuts.

3) Pull the center console trim loose by hand and remove it from the machine. This allows access to the rear trim.

4) Remove four screws (TORX T25) that secure the trim across the rear of the base. Two screws are in the center of the trim (normally hidden by the center console trim), the other two are at each end of the trim near the transmission. If you don't remove the screws at the ends, they will prevent you from removing the transmission when attached to the spacer. Leave the trim itself in place until you remove the fender - it's easier to remove then.

5) Remove a screw from each end of the trim across the front of the base (TORX T25). Leave the trim itself and the two center screws in place - they won't be in your way.

6) Remove four screws (TORX T20) that secure the fender. These screws are usually hidden by the wheel. Now remove the
rear trim by pivoting it around the end near the installed transmission/fender until the trim can be easily pulled clear.

7) Remove three screws (TORX T25) that secure the trim piece on the inside surface of the transmission (next to where you stand). These screws are always visible.

8) Remove three large bolts securing the transmission and spacer to the base. These fasteners are TORX PLUS 40. Although a regular TORX bit will fit into a TORX PLUS fastener, the regular bit cannot achieve the necessary torque to loosen or fully tighten the fastener. You must obtain a TORX PLUS 40 bit to remove and replace these three bolts (about $7 from Craftsman).

9) The transmission is indexed on the spacer with two roll pins, and the spacer is indexed on the base with another two roll pins. When mated together, the base, spacer, and transmission form an enclosure for the elastomeric coupler. The spacer is sealed to the transmission on one side and the base on the other with a bead of silicone sealant. To remove the transmission, tap it from the inside with a rubber mallet to move it outwards and off the roll pins. Depending on which silicone seal breaks first, you may end up removing the transmission and spacer as a unit, or you may end up with the spacer left on the base. Either condition will allow you to proceed.

10) Now clean any debris from the coupler (the white hard plastic cup) mounted on the transmission input shaft, then set the transmission aside.

11) Remove the defective elastomer from the white plastic hub on the exposed output shaft of the motor in the base. At this point, you can proceed two ways. The simplest procedure is to clean the hub and transfer the new elastomer to the old hub - as long as the old hub is in good shape, this is what I recommend. You may also choose to replace the entire hub and elastomer assembly. To do this, remove the elastomer with your fingers, then grasp the plastic hub with a pair of large pliers and pull straight up. The hub will come off the output shaft with about 30 - 40 pounds of force. If it doesn't come off at first, try moving your pliers to several different locations along the perimeter of the hub. To install the new hub, press it onto the motor output shaft. If you don't know that you can press the new hub onto the shaft (50 - 100 pounds of force), I suggest replacing only the elastomer.

WARNING: The motor output shaft is supported by bearings which can be damaged by excessive force such as might be created by hammering the hub onto the shaft. The danger is that you will brinell the bearing races (dimple them) if you strike the new white plastic hub with a hammer to drive it onto the shaft. If you can't press (physically push with about 50 - 100 pounds of force) the hub onto the shaft, the best alternative I can offer is to lightly tap the hub in place using a 1" wooden dowel as a drift and a soft-faced mallet, all the while slowly rotating the shaft. Be aware that even this procedure might cause slight bearing damage. Some of you may think I'm being overly cautious here . . . I am . . . because it's your Segway, not mine.

12) With the new elastomer in place, it's time to put things back together. But first, here's some speculation about why my elastomers failed in the first place. My i2 was among the very first sold, so perhaps mine included a batch of chemically imperfect elastomers that broke down into sticky goo over time. Another explanation might be that the RTV silicone used to seal the transmission to the spacer and the spacer to the base gassed off acetic acid during cure. In the now-sealed chamber, the elastomer reacted with the acetic acid and broke down into the goo I found. One output shaft had a little bit of surface rust that would be consistent with this circumstance.

To account for these two possibilities, I replaced the elastomers and did *NOT* use silicone to re-seal the parts. When I broke the silicone seal, silicone was left on both parts in such a manner that was very likely to be water-tight after simply re-assembling the parts. Just to make sure, I added a very thin rope of plumber's putty (about 1/8" diameter) to the mating surfaces where the old silicone existed. I positioned the putty so it would squeeze out away from the coupler enclosure. The putty does not contain anything that will harm plastics.

Other alternatives for resealing I can think of are to add more silicone, remove the old silicone and add new, or add nothing.

13) Decide how you will reseal the parts together, then place the transmission/spacer onto the roll pins on the base and tap them into place with a soft-faced mallet. Add the three large bolts to snug the transmission down, then torque to 35 - 40 Nm (25 - 30 pounds feet).

14) If you are only replacing one coupler, replace the rear trim and secure with four screws. This is easily accomplished by inserting one end of the trim next to the installed fender, then swinging the other end into place. If you are replacing both couplers, leave the rear trim off for now.

15) Replace the fender and secure with four bolts. Replace the inner transmission cover and secure with three bolts. Replace the wheel and secure with three nuts, then replace the hubcap.

16) The procedure for the other side is the same. Remember to add the rear trim before you install the last fender. Although the rear trim can be installed very last, I found it easier to install in the manner I suggest in step 14.

That completes the steps I used to replace the elastomers on my i2. A few final notes . . .

- I've read several discussions about torque values and torque wrenches with some mirth. If you have experience with fasteners in a variety of materials, the Segway is no different with regards to torque than many other machines. For me, torque values involved in this project for all but the transmission bolts are meaningless. The little screws secure plastic parts: Over tighten them enough and you'll break the plastic. Just past snug is sufficient and a dab of Loctite 242 will keep them that way.

- For the transmission bolts, I just guessed at 25 - 30 lbs ft because past experience tells me I'll get pretty close . . . and I even have a torque wrench. The transmission bolts actually had enough residual Loctite on them after removal that they had to be screwed all the way back in using a ratchet. I didn't use any more Loctite, but a little more Loctite will give you some peace of mind if you're worried they'll loosen. Of course, the most accurate method would be to clean the bolts of all residual thread sealer, apply uncured thread sealer, then torque the bolts to the manufacturer's specifications using a properly maintained and calibrated torque wrench.

- I'll try to add some pictures to this post in the future to clarify the location of fasteners.

- Instead of using a mallet to loosen the transmission, some posters have suggested the use of a large bar clamp that can be expanded between the transmission sides. This is a neat way to achieve the same effect.

- If you've had a different experience or other suggestions about the procedure to replace the couplers, I and other readers will be interested to hear about your experience. Comments from a dealer authorized to perform this repair would be great.

Glen

Last edited by glen_d; 06-28-2009 at 03:50 AM..
glen_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Yeah, I replaced mine after talking to a couple local socaller's about it. One of them looked like cottage cheese curds, the other looked like fine translucent rice-paste. Seems to be alignment issues with early i2's not having proper gaskets and excess sealer. :P

Glad you got the growl silenced. They become horribly embarrassing to ride when the couplers go bad.

SEGsby
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
glen_d
glen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the roughglen_d is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
Seems to be alignment issues with early i2's not having proper gaskets and excess sealer.
That's interesting. It might be worth removing the existing silicone and replacing it with an appropriate amount of silicone sealer for aquariums (no acetic acid).

GD
Old 06-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Torque Specs for Transmission/Gearbox Case

Glen,

Great Post!

I suggest the MODS move this to the "Reference - How To" section.

A couple of points on the torque specs from the Wiki.

See http://social.segway.com/mediawiki/i...p/Torque_Specs

Item 8) Wiki indicates T-45 Torx

Item 13) Torque the (2) top/side bolts to 40 N-m but the bottom one to only 35 N-m. This has been reported to be critical to only use 35 N-m on the bottom bolt, as 40 N-m can crack the transmission/gearbox case.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Note also that the elastomer is made in such a way that it must be installed with the proper edges on the inside and outside. There are notches cut on the inside of the hub and the elastomer has small "overhangs" on one edge that fit into the notches and keep the elastomer from moving side to side on the hub. My first inclination would have been to allow those overhangs to go on the outside of the hub and prevent putting it on too far; luckily, Jimbo at Segway OC alerted me. He said also that factory training at INC advised that the stickiness of the elastomer is an early sign that it is starting to break down.

Finally, my early i2 unit was produced with gobs (technical term) of sealant instead of the available gasket. Removal of the silicone sealant can probably be best accomplished with a wire brush if you choose (I did) and the gasket can be purchased from the dealer. With the gasket in place, I chose not to use any sealant. I can't see the need for both, but you be the judge for your unit.

I don't believe Glen was overly cautious at all in warning of bearing damage in hammering the gearbox off. With spreaders available from Harbor freight for about $4 each, two such spreaders make the job much easier and safer. I believe the 18" model is the proper size.

Glen, I was at first confused by your saying, "The couplers were initially quiet but quickly degraded to their former noisy operation within a few minutes." After re-reading it, I concluded that you meant you first attempted to re-use the original couplers after merely cleaning them. I assume the new couplers quieted the situation somewhat permanently; it did for me.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
glen_d

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
A couple of points on the torque specs from the Wiki. See http://social.segway.com/mediawiki/i...p/Torque_Specs

Item 8) Wiki indicates T-45 Torx
Unless Segway used two different fasteners, this appears to be an error in the Wiki. The fasteners on my i2 transmission are definitely TORX PLUS 40. (I'm using all caps here because that's the manufacturer's styling of the patented fastener.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
Item 13) Torque the (2) top/side bolts to 40 N-m but the bottom one to only 35 N-m. This has been reported to be critical to only use 35 N-m on the bottom bolt, as 40 N-m can crack the transmission/gearbox case.
Other people's experiences are invaluable and none of us want to crack our transmission housing. With that in mind, I'm skeptical about the Wiki's claim that 35 N-m is critical.

The difference in the suggested torque specs (35 N-m vs 40 N-m) for the top and bottom bolts is only 3.7 lbs-ft of torque. To put that in perspective, the claim is that you should apply 35 N-m of torque (25 pounds on the end of a foot-long lever), but that if you then set a cantaloupe (about 4 pounds) on the end of the lever, the lower transmission tab may break. If the spec is really that critical, we shouldn't be torquing the bottom tab to within 12% of failure

Unless you did some very special prep work first, you'd be very lucky indeed to repeatedly torque the transmission bolts to within +- 3.7 lbs-ft of torque, especially into aluminum . . . and yes, I mean with a torque wrench. There are too many variable sources of friction in the system that work against that accurate an application of torque.

I'm not in a position to develop, test and recommend torque standards for wide application, so I won't suggest an alternative torque value for the transmission bolts. While the caution not to break your transmission mount with excessive fastener torque is valuable, I'm skeptical of the Wiki's claim in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Finally, my early i2 unit was produced with gobs (technical term) of sealant instead of the available gasket. Removal of the silicone sealant can probably be best accomplished with a wire brush if you choose (I did) and the gasket can be purchased from the dealer.
There is no longer a dealer here in Alaska, so I didn't know about the gasket as an alternative to the original silicone.

Do the gaskets support the entire transmission mounting surface, or do they only exist around the enclosure for the couplers? If they were smaller than the entire mating surface of the transmission, I can see how the lower tab might be distorted or broken with excessive fastener torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
I was at first confused by your saying, "The couplers were initially quiet but quickly degraded to their former noisy operation within a few minutes." After re-reading it, I concluded that you meant you first attempted to re-use the original couplers after merely cleaning them. I assume the new couplers quieted the situation somewhat permanently; it did for me.
You are correct. I tried to re-use the old couplers by cleaning and re-installing them. They were quiet for a few minutes, then started growling again. The new couplers fixed the problem.

Glen

Last edited by glen_d; 06-28-2009 at 02:04 PM..
Old 06-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen_d View Post
Other people's experiences are invaluable and none of us want to crack our transmission housing. With that in mind, I'm skeptical about the Wiki's claim that 35 N-m is critical.

The difference in the suggested torque specs (35 N-m vs 40 N-m) for the top and bottom bolts is only 3.7 lbs-ft of torque. To put that in perspective, the claim is that you should apply 35 N-m of torque (25 pounds on the end of a foot-long lever), but that if you then set a cantaloupe (about 4 pounds) on the end of the lever, the lower transmission tab may break. If the spec is really that critical, we shouldn't be torquing the bottom tab to within 12% of failure
I don't think it's critical when you tighten it, but remember where the screw is.
Your weight, and the weight of the machine will twist the bottom screw outwards and up, while the upper one gets pushed up, and in.
Maybe 40N-m+the force of your weight and jumps, pulling outwards is just too much?

Quote:
Unless you did some very special prep work first, you'd be very lucky indeed to repeatedly torque the transmission bolts to within +- 3.7 lbs-ft of torque, especially into aluminum . . . and yes, I mean with a torque wrench. There are too many variable sources of friction in the system that work against that accurate an application of torque.
What, you're saying that you don't use freshly calibrated quality tools!? :O

Of course it's very difficult to hit the specifications precisely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen_d
I'm not in a position to develop, test and recommend torque standards for wide application, so I won't suggest an alternative torque value for the transmission bolts. While the caution not to break your transmission mount with excessive fastener torque is valuable, I'm skeptical of the Wiki's claim in this case.
Well, of course the Wiki could be wrong... and i don't doubt your abilities to judge the strength of the component you tighten, but the Wiki is the closest thing to official specification we have, so i think the recommended thing to do is say something like "The wiki said to tighten it 35 N-m, but i tightened it 40 N-m", so people know you're doing this by your own judgement, and they can decide wether or not to trust you/the wiki.

Quote:
There is no longer a dealer here in Alaska, so I didn't know about the gasket as an alternative to the original silicone.
Sad :/

Quote:
Do the gaskets support the entire transmission mounting surface, or do they only exist around the enclosure for the couplers? If they were smaller than the entire mating surface of the transmission, I can see how the lower tab might be distorted or broken with excessive fastener torque.
No idea

Quote:
You are correct. I tried to re-use the old couplers by cleaning and re-installing them. They were quiet for a few minutes, then started growling again. The new couplers fixed the problem.
As expected

Quote:
Glen
Kenny

Reality has been scientifically proven impossible.

Last edited by Joushou; 06-28-2009 at 04:29 PM..
Joushou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default How many miles?

I'm curious how many miles are on the units that needed the couplings replaced... Mine still sounds normal, but would be nice to know what to expect.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I'm curious how many miles are on the units that needed the couplings replaced... Mine still sounds normal, but would be nice to know what to expect.
I did mine at 1500 miles.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Glen,

I have added this to the customer solutions portion of the WIKI. If you have a problem with this please let me know.

jeff

Quote:
[FONT=Arial]I haven't seen a lot of comments from people who have had problems with elastomeric couplers, so I thought I'd post my experience with replacing them on my i2.

Glen

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jgbackes; 06-29-2009 at 12:49 PM..
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote