SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
jimmiem
jimmiem is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default How do you respond to "How much did that cost?"

I glide all over my city, including some not-to-affluent areas, if you catch my drift, and wherever I go it's the same story. 80% of the people that make a comment ask how much it cost. I don't really want to share what I paid, and I don't want to advertise what they cost new. I don't want to be rude and tell them it's none of their business (despite the fact that they are being rude by asking), but I don't want to just ignore them either.

Today I insulted a kid with one of my standard responses of simply "too much". He thought I meant he couldn't afford one and started telling me he was wearing a $6k watch. What I meant by it is that I think they're overpriced for what they are but I didn't stick around to explain that to him.

Anyone come up with a clever retort? I've told some people I got it at the bottom of a CrackerJack box. I'm thinking of telling people it was awarded to me in a personal injury suit. I let people ride it wherever I go. I stop and answer questions all the time. I'm just tired of THIS question being the most common thing people ask.
jimmiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiem View Post
...80% of the people that make a comment ask how much it cost. I don't really want to share what I paid, and I don't want to advertise what they cost new. I don't want to be rude and tell them it's none of their business (despite the fact that they are being rude by asking), but I don't want to just ignore them either.....
Well, you've about covered the entire set of "don't want to" things.

Then you suggest maybe telling folks some lies.

How about: "About as much as a good used car"?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

Truthfully.
If you keep up with the prices in your local area.

Since I don't and (probably can't " really keep up with all the "local" prices I just give a somewhat educated guess (it averages between 5.5k to 7.5k. They get the idea that it is expensive at either end of that range.
I too, have given some s/a answers to the questions that come with a perceived attitude.

Don't sweat it. More people than will admit it, want to "own" and glide on a Segway.

The bottom line is you don't have to say what you actually paid. Just give a general average price, (whatever that may be in your area).

be safe,
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I don't tell; but do use the 'like buying a small used car' line. Pretty much everyone stops there.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I dunno.

If I were in a 'questionable' neighborhood, I don't know if it is wise to advertise you are on an easily stealable $6500 item. Not so much for me, I do not feel ill at ease in many situations, but others very well may, and it is smarter not to even go there...

Also, when many people break the rules of protocol, and ask how much it costs right off, it is often because they are ignorant of how rude it is. That does not make them as rude as you may think, just unaware of how their question may be taken. An example of this may the the "Hey, this is a $6K watch!" comment. That is an equal breach of protocol.

For me, I usually turn the question around. One time, in the suburbs, a woman loading her kids into a new Lincoln Navigator (this was several years ago) asked me how much it cost. I asked her how much her car cost as a response. She told me, and then I told her. I am sure she feels I paid too much for my ride, and I am sure she paid too much for hers...

I have responded with anything from, "how much was your shirt"" to "how much did the town pay for this sidewalk?" or other such questions... I feel it reverses the tables a bit.

I think that most who ask that question already know they are expensive. They are looking for ammunition and confirmation for their next question, which they have at the ready... "Why would you spend that much money for THAT?" Again, I feel that most people already have the idea they are expensive, and if you don't answer their first question, they will likely come up with some version of the second anyway...

In advice, I simply say to say that feels comfortable. Say that you like it, and it was a reasonable amount make you happy. Or say that it was more than you wanted to pay, but still makes you happy, so in the end it was worth it. Or any of that sort of answer. I have also used the used car thing, as many will answer the question as to how much a used car costs anywhere from $50 to $50,000, depending on who you ask.

I don't think that question requires a number. You should feel free to answer without a number if it makes you more comfortable.

One last thing, some people are ready to take offense at very little. If they already feel it is expensive, and already feel it is a plaything of the rich and famous (as it is often portrayed in the press) then they have already decided you are going to insult them with your response, regardless of what you say...

So, be yourself, and say what you want. You will not, and cannot, find one 'good' or 'right' answer.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I usually make the comparison to machines they would be more familiar with. If the asking person knows that it's about the same price as a jet ski, snowmobile, or 4 wheeler (but without the gas and oil expense) then they can make their own assumption as to how much that is.
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
bob yarbrough

5 yr Member

Maybe to sum it up.

As one member once suggested to me..."just the facts". So if you know the price ...it's your choice as to wether to answer the question truthfully or give a s/a answer.
OR
As another member once told me when I asked a question of them..."it's none of your business".

The bottom line is your intelligence and your level of common sense and the circumstances your surrounded by (your location and the quality of the person your dealing with).

be safe,
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
Old 04-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by noalox View Post
I usually make the comparison to machines they would be more familiar with. If the asking person knows that it's about the same price as a jet ski, snowmobile, or 4 wheeler (but without the gas and oil expense) then they can make their own assumption as to how much that is.
I like this comparison. Many people can identify with it.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
bob yarbrough

5 yr Member

A search on Google found these appx. price listings.

snowmobile
12k 5 times
8k 1 time

jet ski
3.5k 1 time
1.5k 1 time

4wheeler
5k 1 time
3k 2 times
1.5k 1 time

be safe
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
Old 04-13-2014, 04:23 AM   #10
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I addressed this very question last October in a blog post on 1FootInTheGrave.com. Earlier that day, some lady blocked my way on a sidewalk and just blurted out "How much did that thing cost you?"

Excerpt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
People of all ages that don’t know me from Adam think it’s perfectly acceptable to ask that personal question. When it comes straight out of the blue, it bugs the heck outa me. When I get stopped on the street only to be asked what kind of money I had to have to get such an intriguing device, it’s just too personal. If you do that to me, you risk confronting the unknown. Will I answer with a big grin, “ten bucks at Walmart” or will I be the *** who says, “none of your damn business”? Better you just don’t ask the question.
I hope you'll read the whole article here, maybe even comment on it: What'd you pay for that Segway

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote