SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:50 AM   #1
Strady77
Strady77 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default SOS i180 fault platform

Hello everyone , I'm trying to repair my i180 with li-ion batteries (AF) that start goes to ERROR FAULT PLATFORM (red circle with wrench) and not RUN.

First I wonder if there is a way to understand more precisely where the fault lies , ie an error code or debug port or other???.

Also when I connect the platform for AC (220V) to charge the batteries at times they turn on both the red LEDs .

The platform error can be caused by dead batteries , or are two separate things ?

From what I understand the management charge and the lithium cell balancing is handled directly from the internal electronic card to the batteries ,
therefore, I ask you , you can communicate with this card and read the data of the various balances through the CAN protocol or I2C BUS or other ??

I hope you can help me because here in Italy technical assistance is nothing .
TANKS!!
Strady77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Hi Strady77,

Unfortunately, technical support for Segway (outside of Segway, Inc. itself) is difficult to obtain everywhere on the planet. The mother ship doesn't release much technical support documentation, and directly handles all important repairs. This MAY change with Segway's new owners, but I haven't seen anything yet that supports this thought.

It is quite unlikely that you will be able to electronically communicate with the Seg. Dealers MIGHT be able to do so, but more likely, all they will get is some kind of error code, rather than detailed diagnostic information. More than likely, the Seg would have to go back to the factory, except I think the factory has only very limited support any more for "Gen 1" machines like the I180. You could send an Email to Segway and ask.

Of course, the Seg won't work with bad batteries, and batteries are one of the most likely failures with Segs. One MUST keep the batteries properly charged, or they will drop below a minimum voltage, and the Seg WILL NOT charge them anymore. If your Seg hasn't been kept on charge regularly (in the 10+ years since it was made), the batteries could easily be bad.

You might try to find someone in Italy that has known good batteries that you could try. Then you'll know if your problem is batteries, battery charger, or something else.

You might also try contacting "MTOBATTERY" on this forum. They may have some ideas about whether you can test the batteries. BE CAREFUL! There can be a LOT of energy in those batteries. Doing the wrong thing can be very dangerous!
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

You might also try contacting DGBINT on this forum, or at www.dgbint.com.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Smile Thanks

Hi

Thanks, a detailed email has been sent.

Michael
www.dgbint.com
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:01 AM   #5
Strady77

5 yr Member
Unhappy

OK , thank you all for the advice ,

but now I have another problem ,

it seems that practically no longer the CSB my i180 functions .

Just connect the AC plug, with both connected batteries , immediately the led "F" go to red and led "R" remains off .

I tried to disassemble and completely disconnect the CSB from the base and connect the AC outlet but always the same report ,

you say that the CSB is dead ?
THANK YOU
Old 04-20-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Based upon the information that you just provided in the recent post it sounds like your batteries are likely over discharged. Do you have a multimeter that you can use to test the voltage of the batteries? If they are at proper voltage you would commonly see a voltage between 70VDC and 80VDC. If you have access to a known good battery pack you can do a simple test to see if your CSB is charging the battery. We posted a video here for that http://www.mtobattery.com/segway-charger-testing/

If the batteries read a very low voltage you may be able to recover them with a device like the MTO Battery reconditioner http://www.mtobattery.com/shop/lithi...reconditioner/ or with the dgbint reviver. Please keep in mind as the batteries become older the chances of successfully bringing the batteries back does decrease.

I have a few customers in Italy that have our reconditioner already. If you are interested I can contact them to see if they are willing to either rent & ship it to you or possibly meet with you if they are close enough.

I wish you well and feel free to reach out to us if we can be of any assistance. Take care.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
Strady77

5 yr Member

I measured the voltage on both batteries and are both approximately 71V .

Unfortunately I have no other batteries do other tests .
You may have broken the CSB ?

THANK YOU for the responses ! ; )
Old 04-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
MTOBATTERY

There are a few possibilities. Either the CSB is bad, BMS within the battery is bad, or the cells in the battery are not within spec to permit proper charging/use. This could mean that one or more cell clusters are below the low voltage requirement or may indicate that the pack has an internal resistance that is too high. Could you please advise the age of these batteries. The date code is the first six numbers behind the letter C on the small white sticker on the battery.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Strady77

5 yr Member

Ok , but why even without batteries connected to the " F " LED is lit RED and the " R " led is off ?
should not be entrami RED or off ?

if he has an i180 could look at how the two LEDs if AC is connected without batteries ?

I do not think a Case Study of batteries, 1 has always gone well .
as voltages of 23 cells varies from 3,210 to 3,245v (measured on the BMS in J11,12,13..ect ect points - no load)

these are the serial of the two batteries :

BATTERY # 1 C01300700211 Rev. AF
BATTERY # 2 C03060700104 Rev. AF

Last edited by Strady77; 04-20-2016 at 12:07 PM..
Old 04-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
MTOBATTERY

I apologize as I did not read that correctly previously. If the R led is off all the time I would agree that something is not functionly correctly in the CSB. Since each output is separate it would be possible for one side to work and one side to not function.

Battery #1 manufactured January, 30 2007
Battery #2 manufactured March, 6 2007

Given the age of these batteries being approximately 9yr old I do not believe there is much of a chance they will work well (if at all) on any Segway. I suspect that you will need to repair or replace the CSB and will likely also need two new or rebuilt battery packs. There were two versions of the CSB for the older gen segways. Please double check the wiring harness on the replacement to insure it is the same as the one you currently have. Otherwise it will be necessary to rewire it.